Minelab SDC2300 information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I usually get all day with mine Bjay, although I charged it in the car once and got less than a day.

Re settings, I think there are two schools of users. Some use 3 and make it purr like a kitten and go really slow. The target response is smoother but if you are going slow, it is noticeable even if not distinctly loud.

Others like to use 5 as the response is more noticeable but as you say the warble is annoying for extended periods. The concern here is, does a small target response get masked by the background warble.

Personally, I switch between the two depending on my mood, but if I find a patch I work it using both settings and have picked up small nuggets both ways. I have a slight preference to running it higher as I don't think my ears are as sensitive to the subtle tone changes some of my detecting friends seem to have.

4 is half way in between. :D

Thanks Wally
I ended up doing the same running on 4 , bit of a compromise I thought between hopefully picking more targets or going mad. In the morning was ok on 5 listening through noise but later in the day Maybee I was missing things.

Gidday Bjay, i used to run on 4 but for the past month or so i always run on 5 now and never without the earphones and i reckon i'm now fnding gold that i would have missed running quieter. The noise in your ears is bloody annoying but after half an hour it becomes (to me) second nature and i can then hear the slight changes when i run over gold or small shot that may be down a little deeper. On the lower settings it's quieter/smoother but i personally reckon you can miss some of the deeper pieces. Trouble is by running quieter you'll never know if that's the case or not. Running quiet or loud you'll never miss the super shallow stuff if you sweep over it slow enough, or the big pieces down deeper, but i reckon you will miss stuff that's borderline. I personally can't stress enough the need to go slow, and i don't mean a steady backward and forward as the book says, i mean 'bloody' slow!!! It's amazing how much gold i almost miss even going super slow, i often just get the smallest ping even going super super slow that would be missed with a standard sweep.
I can get a solid 7-8 hours at least from my batteries as well mate. Mind you, i usually can't last that long because of the ear racket and concentrating so hard :lol:

Hi man, been using the sdc for 18 mths. I swing mostly in 4/5.
I have the threashold on 2 red dots. This quietens the machine
down heaps. I go hard for a few hrs, then have 10min brake then hard again.

polky

Thanks guys I think I was running threshold too high , can't really remember as it was about a month ago but I was just winging it so hopefully when I get the the new toy I can ping some more bits from the patch.

I'm using the sdc in the GT in Victoria old hand and run on 5 as i said above. I do know of others that run on 2 or 3 as well and swear by it. So that's the problem you have Bjay, everybody has their own opinions which is cool. The one thing you don't have to worry about with the sdc is that there aren't that many options and settings to worry about :lol:

Im in vic also. Thanks for all the advice, a few different things to try when I next get out.

I think as everyone's ears are different and the ground conditions change continually the best advice I was given is always carry a test piece and test regularly. I have been amazed at the depth the SDC can detect small nuggets on setting 5 but with differing types of signal and unless you remind yourself every now and then what to listen for the subtle threshold pull can be lost in the warble. After a while you seem to be able to listen through the warble and check twice anything that sounds in any way different. Going slow is paramount My method anyway.

Cheers and good luck

Agree totally Bacchus. Sometimes i just need to get that first piece to retune my ears to know what i'm listening for. If i had to give only one piece of advice with the sdc it would be to go super super slow and keep the coil as close as possible to the ground.

My rule of thumb is Sens 1 or 2 when using headphones, or 3 or 4 when using booster and external speaker. Ocassionally when EMI levels are down I can get it on Sens 3 with headphones. Threshold is pretty much 3 or 4 leds.

Quite simply Nenad your advice is above question on the matter as far as I am concerned so now I am going to have to try the lower settings next trip out , what is the loss of depth if any ?

Cheers

When using high sensitivity settings with headphones, there is so much noise going on that I'm sure I'm ignoring a lot of what I should be digging. When the threshold is nice and stable, I'm scratching on everything that gives me a faint variation. Nearly all of my gram + bits at depth have been on Sens 1! So in this regard, a high sensitivity is probably costing me depth, but everyone is different.

Regardless of settings, if you are consistently digging small leadshot in pounded areas, then this is confirmation you are doing everything right.

Yep. It's incredibly disappointing that these issues haven't been sorted out after ML has been in the market place since 1985 and they can still produce this kind of substandard crapola. Incredibly disappointing.

I understand a little more clearly now, why some people have an incandescent dislike of ML.

mbasko said:
Wolfau said:
mbasko said:
Narrawa said:
Your benefit with MPF would not be in depth, but in coverage....looking to out fit it with a coil like a 14x7...15x8 would be in my opinion, a better choice than looking to search deeper due to the timing it uses.
Bingo - would love to have a 14 x 7 on mine!

The question though is - can it be done?
Was told a while ago that one coil manufacturer believed it was possible from a practical viewpoint i.e. could get to cable connection in lower stem etc. to faciliatate change. Haven't heard anything since & that was well before xmas? The issues are as I seen it then & now is:
-warranty - some dismantling would be required to change it over
-are the SDC coils chipped/encrypted?? If so would Minelab licence someone to make them??

Interesting:
http://golddetecting.4umer.net/t22372-coil-question-for-the-sdc-2300#216360

Backs up some of what I was told before. Will be watching this with interest.

mbasko said:
mbasko said:
Wolfau said:
mbasko said:
Narrawa said:
Your benefit with MPF would not be in depth, but in coverage....looking to out fit it with a coil like a 14x7...15x8 would be in my opinion, a better choice than looking to search deeper due to the timing it uses.

Was told a while ago that one coil manufacturer believed it was possible from a practical viewpoint i.e. could get to cable connection in lower stem etc. to faciliatate change. Haven't heard anything since & that was well before xmas? The issues are as I seen it then & now is:
-are the SDC coils chipped/encrypted?? If so would Minelab licence someone to make them??

Interesting:

Cheers Matt was hoping this thread may come to life again with some good news , from what I hear Ismael relly knows his stuff and I am glad someone with a bit of knowledge is at least looking at the options , I have held off buying a second detector for a WA trip hoping there may be 18 inch bolt on at some time , fingers crossed , love my SDC

mbasko said:
mbasko said:
Wolfau said:
mbasko said:
Narrawa said:

Interesting:

Very very interesting news.

Latest posts