Minelab GPX5000 tips, settings and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would appreciate some help, intend to go for a swing on Sunday and had some issues last Sunday.

1 GPX Quick Start guide - Push and Release button-move coil until stable
2 GPX Manual - Push and hold button-move coil until stable then release button

So which is it?

Last Sunday I GB'd using the manual as reference and had some problems with noise, threshold set as low as I could, manual tune 145-160.

Running the 11 inch Mono Coil my settings were as follows:

Front Switches
General
Normal
Mono
Fixed

Menu
Volume limit: 12
GB Type: General
Special: Fine Gold
Manual Tune: 145-160
Motion: Slow
RX Gain: 11
Audio: Normal
Tone: 50
Stabilizer: 10
Signal: 16
Target Volume: 8
Response: Normal
Tracking: Medium

All and any comments welcome, including you idiot! :lol:

Filthyphil said:
I would appreciate some help, intend to go for a swing on Sunday and had some issues last Sunday.

So which is it?

Last Sunday I GB'd using the manual as reference and had some problems with noise, threshold set as low as I could, manual tune 145-160.

Running the 11 inch Mono Coil my settings were as follows:

Front Switches
General
Normal
Mono
Fixed

Menu
Manual Tune: 145-160
RX Gain: 11
Stabilizer: 10

All and any comments welcome, including you idiot! :lol:

Hey Mate
Just at a quick look, I don't use a GPX never have but from listening to mates & checking the manual 1 minute ago)
See the sections I have bolded, if you run in normal on the front??? you are not in "Fine Gold" front end needs to be in "Special" then you can run in "Fine Gold"

Normal is the reason it seemed noisy!!

I may be wrong but that is the way I understand it.
Lee

Filthyphil said:

1. The GPX Quick Start guide is for tracking not fixed I think - it says to start in fixed & change to tracking while pumping the coil up/down. Continue pumping the coil until threshold is stable. In tracking you still need to check balance periodically by pumping the coil - if it has become unstable then you push & release the quick track button while in tracking it will beep & initiates a fast auto ground balance then returns to tracking.

2. That process is for fixed. When in fixed press and hold the quick track button while pumping the coil to ground balance. Most would recommend using fixed.

Front Switches
General
Normal > Special for Fine Gold
Mono
Fixed

Menu
Manual Tune: 145-160 > auto tune then adjust as or if required
RX Gain: 11 > try up to about 14
Stabilizer: 10 > start at 8

after about 3 hours of detecting, twice now the gpx 5000 has almost blown me eardrums due to a sudden increase in volume. Only momentarily and then she settles down...she also sounds like she wants to cut out...has anyone else experienced this problem please. I wear earphones because I have a hearing problem..thanks

Only happens to me when I hit a tin can or get too close to the pick.

Helps if you knock the earphones off ASAP, but still annoying.

I've had a similar issue. A sudden increase in noise then no noise. I had to turn it off and restart to get it to work again.
In the end I had to send the control box to Minelab servicing.

Did they say what caused the problem Detectist...it doesn't happen all the time only on occasion

No. I'm not sure what parts they actually replaced either. I know they re-soldered a couple of things inside the box. Good luck.

Hi All,

Just a quick note, went out yesterday, no gold but nice stable 5000 that found lead, brass casings and tacks down to 200mm, so that's a big success on the week before, thanks for all your help again. :)

Hey all,

Been out a couple of times lately with my 2 year old GPX5000, with a mate and his brand new GPX5000.

I've noticed that I seem to be having a bit of trouble with ground noise in areas my mate doesnt.

I end up on sensitive smooth while he stays on fine gold, same settings, same coils.

Could my detector need a service? Any other possible reason?

Thanks in advance

Have you tried swapping coils amongst yourselves to rule out a faulty coil?

I have had coil connection problems with mine in the past, which is a common problem, maybe give the lead a wiggle to see if it plays up.

Other than that, send it to Minelab.

GD

HA we have just received our 5000 back from ML for the same problem they had it for 3 week and re aliened it what ever that means it was tested over the three weeks but nothing , I feel its still NQR I used it yesterday and found gold with it, but I feel that my 4500 runs smoother regards john :)

As far as I know a re-alignment is just fine tuning the timings to be within certain parameters or tolerance if you like. There is automatic machinery that every now & then has a brain fart & forgets what it's supposed to do i.e. loses its operating parameters. The tech boys come in & it takes all of 5-10mins to re-program then test to make sure it's operating within the correct parameters again. I've always thought of a re-alignment as similar to that basically - just re-programming the timings, then testing to ensure they're operating within the correct parameters. If they're out it could definitely make a machine noisier particularly in a GPX if SETA isn't operating optimally.

I always thought my 5000 wasn't quite right until it finally went on me on a trip to Victoria. Sent it to Minelab & they replaced a part under warranty (don't ask me what now but it was a technical sounding thingamyjig). When it came back it was a different machine - very quite & stable. Was a shame to sell it but sometimes ya toys have to go :D

Might send it back then. Its a few years old and done the previous owner well.

It just doesnt seem to run like it should. Time for a quick tune up i think.

Thanks all, will get it back to them

eadesy77 said:
Just received my new GPX 5000 today. :p :p :p

Now I just need to learn how to use it :/

Going to do the training in a few weeks :) :) :)

C how it goes.
Good luck with the new machine mate :p

Latest posts