(- Are This a Meteorite !!? -)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are very Heavy for such rocks in their size !!!!
Tathradj said:
If that is the case you are now talking into the hundreds of thousands of dollars.
I am no expert on space rocks but I would have them tested and stored in a very, very safe place and would be watching my back with that.
How much do they weigh. ??

UPLOADING A VIDEO
XbxUI0.jpg
AtomRat said:
Were other people looking for them in the area that day too or were you by yourself? Would love to see vid.

I,m with mfdes, the cleavage planes and layering almost certainly mean it is not an iron meteorite. If the rock was found in the stoneless sand regions along with the tens of 1000's of other known NWA (North West Africa) meteorites it probably is one. The meteorites stand out in the stoneless areas, any rocks found are either meteorites or stones moved there by early man (and there are lots of them). However if it is found on a mountain it is probably magnetite or a similar iron mineral protected from rusting away by the dry climate.

Never the less get it checked out.

Numbered and unidentified non rare NWA meteorites are often on fleabay for a few dollars for a bag full. The mainly Americans buy them of the locals by the truck load and thin slide them up and classify them in the hope that occasionally a rare Martian or lunar meteorite may be among the pieces collected. I have a couple small pieces of the NWA998 Martian meteorite in my collection.
Cheers RDD

PS Forum members should think before they smash up the next hot rock they detect, almost every detectorist will detect a weathered meteorite sometime during their detecting career. :)

Going by photos is difficult to identify stuff but I am reasonably certain this is mother earth. I would say it is a sedimentary rock, iron oxide concretion.

I can see what looks like bedding oriented with the flat side easily seen in post 17. There are perpendicular straight line cracking as well with a good example through the flat piece in post 1. Flat surfaces and bedding won't occur on a meteorite and it doesn't look melted, it looks coated. Also in post 1 the inner material is exposed near the magnet as in some other pics which looks sedimentary. Pic 13 looks like it has a pebble in it.

It doesn't look very strong and I would knock the end off with a hammer to expose the interior. If the hammer bounces back with a ring and hits you in the face then lets revisit that option. :p
Jon

protected by the dry climate.... and blasted by the sand causing the blasted/dimpled look,,, :/ :/ :/ :) interesting
RedDirtDigger said:
I,m with mfdes, the cleavage planes and layering almost certainly mean it is not an iron meteorite. If the rock was found in the stoneless sand regions along with the tens of 1000's of other known NWA (North West Africa) meteorites it probably is one. The meteorites stand out in the stoneless areas, any rocks found are either meteorites or stones moved there by early man (and there are lots of them). However if it is found on a mountain it is probably magnetite or a similar iron mineral protected from rusting away by the dry climate.

Never the less get it checked out.

Numbered and unidentified non rare NWA meteorites are often on fleabay for a few dollars for a bag full. The mainly Americans buy them of the locals by the truck load and thin slide them up and classify them in the hope that occasionally a rare Martian or lunar meteorite may be among the pieces collected. I have a couple small pieces of the NWA998 Martian meteorite in my collection.
Cheers RDD

PS Forum members should think before they smash up the next hot rock they detect, almost every detectorist will detect a weathered meteorite sometime during their detecting career. :)

RedDirtDigger said:
PS Forum members should think before they smash up the next hot rock they detect... :)

You beat me to the post RedDirtDigger, and here I am saying smash it with a hammer :D
Jon

Latest posts