"How to..." for the TDI, SL & SPP

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Reg has asked me to put out the feelers for the kind of things White's owners would like to know or would like to contribute to a short volume on getting the best out of the machines mentioned.

We are going to put his posts together and other material into this work and make it as readable as possible. Dot points where necessary.

It is envisaged that it will be as readable as possible. Even to the point where it will be a pocket sized book to take with.

'Theories' on technical matters will be treated very unkindly!

All technical info will be Reg's. I'm only the dog-boy editing and compiling.

So for ideas that actually work - or things you can't figure out; email here: [email protected]

SunriseBoy said:
Reg has asked me to put out the feelers for the kind of things White's owners would like to know or would like to contribute to a short volume on getting the best out of the machines mentioned.

We are going to put his posts together and other material into this work and make it as readable as possible. Dot points where necessary.

It is envisaged that it will be as readable as possible. Even to the point where it will be a pocket sized book to take with.

'Theories' on technical matters will be treated very unkindly!

All technical info will be Reg's. I'm only the dog-boy editing and compiling.

So for ideas that actually work - or things you can't figure out; email here: [email protected]

Well I have already done a 9 battery conversion giving over 13.0 volts and posted how to complete with picture and the run time is just on 6 hour 38 minutes but with higher mah batteries 8 hours is possible, the total conversion will cost you 5 to 10 bucks,

john

That's brilliant John. But as usual I've missed something here. Where was that post?
I'll have to talk to you about getting that into Reg's book.

It did occur to me that someone could come up with a unit to sell; just 'drop it in' so to speak. Plus, with the dollar being as it is there would be a big market in the US.

SunriseBoy said:
That's brilliant John. But as usual I've missed something here. Where was that post?
I'll have to talk to you about getting that into Reg's book.

It did occur to me that someone could come up with a unit to sell; just 'drop it in' so to speak. Plus, with the dollar being as it is there would be a big market in the US.

I will PM you the Link, But it is a push over to do and it relies on Off the Shelf Item and you can still run duracells if you want to or even better Energizer Lithium batteries that will give you over 9 hours and 15 to 16 volts,

john

This would be great, specially for beginners like myself. I can't really offer any input though because I know stuff all.
As for what I would like to know, well, as much as possible about anything that makes using the TDI & SPP easier & more productive.
Accessories to use & how best to use them would be good, what the actual different adjustments do & the best way to adjust them for certain area's like hot ground, high EMI area's & rocky or quartz covered area's etc would be a big help as well.

Hope it goes well, will be great to see the finished product, no doubt it will be a big help to alot of people.

Yes, that's the kind of thing us newbies want. And that's what Reg suggested. So we've got a start with his various posts and will add the various questions into sections such as different ground effects, machine noises and what to listen for and learn from, coils, adjustments etc. and will endeavour to collate it into a good 'how to' publication. Keeping it trim and to the point is an important point. Because if I know most guys, they want straight-forward, clear, plain and easy to read stuff. At least that's been my experience.

SunriseBoy said:
Yes, that's the kind of thing us newbies want. And that's what Reg suggested. So we've got a start with his various posts and will add the various questions into sections such as different ground effects, machine noises and what to listen for and learn from, coils, adjustments etc. and will endeavour to collate it into a good 'how to' publication. Keeping it trim and to the point is an important point. Because if I know most guys, they want straight-forward, clear, plain and easy to read stuff. At least that's been my experience.

Well The TDI would not be the Machine it is without Reg, even when it went in to production Reg kept working and fine tuning it, Top Man and a Wizard when it comes to knowing what makes these machines Tick,

John

And I've very grateful for his posts, as I've been reading the 41 plus pages I've collated and am now understanding the necessity of listening to Reg and the machine.

He's assisted me in understanding there is not 'a' setting that the machine runs on but numerous settings as the environment and locations change.

Just for fun, take a look at this picture of one of the early prototypes of the TDI and notice what is different between this early model and the final production. Let me know what you see different.

Reg

1440477729_tdi_early.jpg

Tone control! One of the most important controls for a gold detector. I'd gladly swap the conductivity switch for a tone control.

Kinda looks like a geiger counter in that colour - I like it :)

Brian Bateson the Australian Razorback Coil distributor would be a great help on this I recon if he had the time. I talked to him today when I bought a Razorback 7.5 x 11 Folded Mono. He is a wealth of knowledge. A good tip he gave me today for the TDI PRO OZ is the first thing you must do on start up before you do anything else is set the frequency correctly by holding the coil out in front of you, slowly turn around until you find the noisiest direction and adjust in the best frequency in that direction . Just little things like that and he was involved in the Aussie trials of the origional TDI he told me. Really nice bloke as well. Luke Zusky would be a great contributor as well, not much those two don't know from what I have read and seen on YOUTUBE.
Just a thought.
Cheers
Mark

Phase Tech is correct, the orignal TDI had a tone control and no conductivity switch.

BTW, the conductivity switch was my idea I came up with when using a GS 5 even before the TDI officially existed. Here in the US, old US coins were made of copper or silver and the conductivity switch made it easy to hunt parks, yards, ghost towns easily for coins while ignoring all iron.

Here is a link to the Technology forum where I discussed being able to find coins easy and a pic of a 44 gram gold ring I found using the GS 5 as a coin machine.

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?34,702970,702970#msg-702970

Reg

Hi Mark,

Just thought I would tell you the folded mono design is another of my ideas. In fact, I posted some specifics of it on the Geotech forum back in 2009. That is where Jason got the idea and began building them for the TDI much later. The original folded coil was called a fold back coil.

White's made an issue out of the fact, the dual field coil was their idea and was patented, so I decided to look for a different way to do the same thing. My design actually works smoother and is just as effective as the dual field design. Also, my design is easier to ground balance.

Here is a link to the post in 2009 on the Geotech forum. Just drop down to a different dual field idea jpeg for more info.

http://www.geotech1.com/forums/show...-for-duel-field-coil&highlight=fold+back+coil

Reg

rockerfella said:
Brian Bateson the Australian Razorback Coil distributor would be a great help on this I recon if he had the time. I talked to him today when I bought a Razorback 7.5 x 11 Folded Mono. He is a wealth of knowledge. A good tip he gave me today for the TDI PRO OZ is the first thing you must do on start up before you do anything else is set the frequency correctly by holding the coil out in front of you, slowly turn around until you find the noisiest direction and adjust in the best frequency in that direction . Just little things like that and he was involved in the Aussie trials of the origional TDI he told me. Really nice bloke as well. Luke Zusky would be a great contributor as well, not much those two don't know from what I have read and seen on YOUTUBE.
Just a thought.
Cheers
Mark

I agree, I spoke to Brian a week or so back, very helpful bloke.
I'll be interested to hear how you go with the 7.5x11 RB folded mono as thats what we will be getting in a few weeks for the SPP, sounds like it should be a great coil.

That's the one I was speaking about with Brian also. We should get guys like him and Dilek at Nokta into customer service for a few outfits.

Is it feasable to fit a Tone Control to the TDI, SL & SPP? What kind of cost is involved.

SunriseBoy said:
Is it feasable to fit a Tone Control to the TDI, SL & SPP? What kind of cost is involved.

Yeah it is, you just have to ask Reg how to put it back as it was first made On the original models,

john

Latest posts