Minelab GPX series battery / audio issues

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teemore

One foot out the door
Reaction score
Something I was alerted to last weekend ......
Out for a days detecting (with some instruction from someone more experienced) only to be told there's no audio when speakers are attached.
Brand new GPX purchased from Maryborough, had only used headphones previously and on 1 maybe 2 occasions a B&Z booster (no problem with those).
At first I thought I'd just been supplied with the wrong battery (Coiltec provided me with a fully charged one) but on ringing them they advised that all the GPX 4800/5000 batteries had built in amplifiers and should work OK, they suggested a faulty unit return to them or direct to Minelab. Posting it back to MInelab today ....... only 6 month warranty on batteries so will be seeing red if I get charged for a repair (only used about 6 times in 8 months).

Has anyone come across a similar issue ?????

Otherwise pleased to say got my first gold with the unit.
Cheers Tom.

What speaker/s were you using. If they're not correctly wired then the amp won't be "tripped" & the battery alone will struggle to drive external speakers. There's a bit in the manual on the correct way to wire them for the amp but if they were purchased from a detector shop should already be wired up correctly.

Hi mbasko, we tried 3 different sets, a GME pair that came with the B&Z booster (OK with but no good without the booster), a twin pair purchased from Miners Den and a single that my mentor uses.
From memory I think the SunRay Gold Pro headphones also only worked when used with the booster (can't recheck that now battery on it's way to ML).
Cheers T.

G'day Teemore... any update with your battery issue? How'd it work out and at what cost if you don't mind me asking?

Cheers
Gypsy

So, last week, connected up and nothing - no digital display on the 5000, but battery was full.

Took it to Coiltek Maryborough, long story short, they put the battery on charge for 5 minutes and all was ok (power wise). I didn't try audio.

Got out to detect, connected up and as suggested above, no audio on the speaker and no audio on the headphones.

Back to Coiltek - checked power cable, speaker, headphones etc against one of their detectors, which showed that the audio circuit in the battery was stuffed.

My detector, cable, coil, speaker and headphones proven to be OK. Cheers to the guys at Coiltek, they let me borrow one of their batteries for the few days left of my trip.

Also they said that they have seen the amplifier go in the battery which the speaker needs, but still work on headphones, but have never seen both fail.

This morning I went to Minelab at Mawson Lakes with the battery, which they have to assess. Although my detector is just over 2 years old and still in warranty, the battery only has a 6 month limited warranty. I told them that as I only trip for 6-8 weeks to VIC that the whole thing had had no more than 4 months total use and would expect the electronics in the battery compartment to last longer. I can understand the Lithium cell being 6 months but the amplifier electronics should be the same as the control box warranty. I got no comment when I expressed this thought.

I'll wait to see if I get what I think is a fair response, or, if I'm going to end up being slugged $150 or so for the fix.........

thats a bit rough mate, i too would think the circuitry would be covered and like you said fair enough on the lithium battery, that means my 4500 that has been used for about 4 to 5 hrs battery isnt covered also, bought 6 months ago tho
hope they help you out mate

Not good to hear, a bit like the 2300 batteries maybe I hope not. I'm keen to hear the outcome to this I hope you get a good result condor22

RM Outback said:
Not good to hear, a bit like the 2300 batteries maybe I hope not. I'm keen to hear the outcome to this I hope you get a good result condor22
It's nothing like the SDC2300 batteries. This is a completely different & unrelated issue!!!
Hopefully it'll be a quick, easy & cheap (free) fix. If you've lost both channels i.e. amp tripped on with speaker & amp off with headphones then hopefully it's just a wire that's come adrift on the audio socket etc.

Similar happened to me last week. Battery part is fine but audio part stuffed. Had a long and hard think about what to do and finally thought that I may as well go wireless and build my own battery setup rather than repair my battery. The thing that I don't like is when one component goes you have to either replace or buy a whole new battery. Looked on a few forums and got some great ideas on a DIY system. Can buy a battery that will last around 8 hours for under $50. Already purchased a wireless kit of Phasetech and will just need a proper charger for the new battery. After buying the odds and ends to put the system together should be well under the cost of a new battery and now I'm wireless. May even buy another battery for a spare there that cheap.

Batteries should do atleast 500 charge cycles. It is the same technology as used in model helicopters & cars. My helis used to draw peak 80 amp @ 24v and continious about 25 in hover. Helis were 4 years ago, the tech keeps improving. What the detectors draw should not be a problem. Hope there good for warranty.

Barry

condor22 said:
Got a phone call lunchtime from Minelab, battery audio fixed, they replaced the module.

NO CHARGE

Got to be happy with that, hats off to them.....

Good to hear .................. have never had a problem with minelab back up personally ................... some of the dealers once they have your bucks a whole different story? Again nice result for you ;)

I guess it helps that I'm only 20 minutes from the factory, otherwise I'd be dealing through a dealer.....

Gday all
I have been having ongoing problems with my built in amp on the GPX5000
It seems to go ok for a while and then cuts in and out, sometimes when I am moving other times not
Took it down to Coiltek Maryborough and they seem to think it is the built in amp
Is there anyone who can check and if necessary repair this problem
I would appreciate other peoples thoughts, opinions and options

The amp is in the battery, I also took mine into Coiltek and they could have fixed it by replacing the circuit board in the battery. However, I live close to the Minelab factory here in Adelaide, so I chose to take it to them. They fixed it for free. The detector was 2.5 yrs old but as I pointed out to Minelab, the battery was ok, it was electronics that failed.

I still had 5 days on my trip to the GT and the guys at Coiltek were good enough to loan me one of theirs for the remainder of my trip.

As the fault is intermittent, the simple fix is to check all the wires to the audio socket inside for a dry joint. The harder fix is if it is in the PCB.
Also to eliminate the detector, coil and cables by swapping out each component.

Thanks for your advice condor22, I will take it into Minersden today for them to have a look as I will be out that way
I don't have a spare cable unfortunately(even though I know I should)
Hopefully they can confirm the problem and I can get it rectified
I like you have no issue with the battery
thanks again

Hey all, I know this is an old thread (I havent posted on here for a while) but I have repaired a few of the amp modules in the battery pack. If you are close to Geelong, just pm me and I can let you know where we are.

Pat