Meteorite or iron ore??

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Came across this one in the bush a few weeks ago whilst metal detecting detector don't know the difference between iron ore or a meteorite but i can tell you this is one heavy rock magnet sticks to it real good and i put it on the bench grinder and it polishes like mirror..
1439704887_2.jpg
1439704910_1.jpg

Try touching 2 probes from a 9v battery about 5mm apart around on the rock. If you see a glow like an led light ( could be any color ) you may have silicon carbide meteorite..I don't know much on them either but the rainbow color made me post this tip and see if anything happens

Broken bit off a sledge hammer? :lol:

If it's magnetic then it could be magnetite with some impuities like pyrite. Ore wise it depends on the levels of impurities as to it's viability for iron extraction. It probably will attract iron filings being magnetic itself and have crystalline structure but it looks small. It should leave a black streak across the back of a tile etc. but polished should be a bit of a dull metallic finish.

It does look very shiny steel like unless that is just the angle of the shot. Meteorites can be almost mirror like and have no crystal structure. From memory it would not leave a black steak.

Test its streak colour and look for crystals under a magnifier. Is that goldy colour pyrite?

Jon

AtomRat tried your test,nothing happened. Jon its not Pyrites,not rust either.. Cheers Fox

If you rub it against porcelain like the back of a tile or unglazed part of a mug or plate what colour does it leave? Does it attract metal like a paperclip and are there any bubbles in it?
Jon

Latest posts