My DIY coin tumbler

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Got a new printer half price at coles, for much less than the price of ink cartridges for our old one. Decided to have a go at a tumbler project. Pulled out anything not needed, and cut the plastic to accomodate a tumbler container. It was setup so paper could roll across the rollers, and over the case plastic at the same time. That case plastic between the rollers needed to go, otherwise it wouldnt work. I used a nokia mobile phone charger to power the electric motor. Not much grunt in that motor, so its going to be a small tumbler. I havent got any tumbling media, but did a vid to show it turning a bottle full of vitamins.

[video=480,360]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0UaoXPfiug[/video]

First tumble session happening now. This is before tumbling:

1439621208_before.jpg

Going to check them in a few hours. I didnt have any media, so I threw in some used gold concentrate.

So before:
1439635216_before.jpg

After about 3 hours:
1439635280_threehours.jpg

So its working, obviously needing much longer for good results. Initial cleaning of these coins, was just water, and a toothbrush, done a week, or more ago.

I have heard that black sand is good for this.
My Uncle Jack was a lapidary come jeweler in Mittagong and I drove him nuts with questions. :lol:
Around here some where I still have some polished stones from him. :)

after 7 hours total, they continue to improve, but I dont need them to look any better than this (have a penny project inmind for later). I reckon another 7 or so hours, they would look good though.

1439716989_aftersev.jpg

Next batch, coins I found today, plus two of my armed forces buttons. Todays coins are better to start with, so I expect they will look good.

1439717088_beforbuts.jpg

Was thinking of machines, that I could convert into tumblers today. Pedestal, or desk fans, be just a matter of mounting a bucket (the axle is allready threaded)....it would have variable speed as well.

aussiefarmer said:
Just a thought , if you want to get inventive why not make a tumbler like a hub cap and put it on the car wheel , driving back and forth to work while cleaning the treasure .

like your thinking, but am sure there are better options :) I was thinking tumble dryer, disconnect heater unit, and seal vent holes. I could tumble all my coins at once :)

rocketaroo said:
aussiefarmer said:
Just a thought , if you want to get inventive why not make a tumbler like a hub cap and put it on the car wheel , driving back and forth to work while cleaning the treasure .

like your thinking, but am sure there are better options :) I was thinking tumble dryer, disconnect heater unit, and seal vent holes. I could tumble all my coins at once :)

You would nearly need something that big with ALL your finds ;) :lol: