Help IDing this jewelry please

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

condor22

Mike
Reaction score
This piece of jewelry is at least 100 years old, it consists of a central Boulder Opal (I think) surrounded by 4 Emeralds and 5 Rubies.
There is a small Seed Pearl on the loop above the top ruby and the gold appears to be 18ct.

1. Can anyone confirm the type of Opal Rock? BTW it, by measurement is about 37ct
2. As the Rubies and Emeralds are deep in colour, can anyone suggest their source or age?
3. Given the specialty type of central stone, where would be the best place to have it valued?

It is a family heirloom.

1439448593_2012-12-15-171.jpg

What a great find C22,... impressive piece of jewellery. :eek: :eek: :D

C22 i was watching antique roadshow not long avo a piece came up something similar and they said about 1930 to 1940.

300 said:
C22 i was watching antique roadshow not long avo a piece came up something similar and they said about 1930 to 1940.

That's the pre-war Depression era, which is unlikely for an ostentatious piece of bling like this. Also, jewellery design in the '30's was more about straight lines and angles, heavily influenced by the then fashionable art deco design approach, whereas this pendant reflects earlier art nouveau design themes of the 1890-1910 period.

The flowing curves and ornate but not fussy floral ornamentation of Condor's heirloom, with its precious stones in colours echoing the central stone, is more inline with what I know of late Victorian/turn of the century tastes. Given the Australian context, I'd say it most likely dates to around Federation, but Silver's request for hallmarks could help to decide the matter more accurately than my amateur speculation.

I'll take that credit for you TSB :eek: ,..... Making me feel good at least(ha). ;) ,..thanks GS. :D

Re age, I know it was in the family before 1930 and was a few years old then (not sure). So definitely older than 1940s and definitely not art deco. I tend to agree with Grubstake that it is likely late Victorian or at the latest very early Edwardian.

I'll get into the safe and get out my jewellers eye piece to check for hall marks.

Lovely piece Condor, my guess would be pre war 1900 -1912ish and a stab at the original owner would be that it was crafted to fasten the shawl or cloak of an irish born lady from a prosperous wool or shipping family.
The last part is speculation based on turn of the 20th century industry in australia, possibly she was of irish decent hence the emerald set clovers.
I count 5 rubies and 5 emeralds btw.
Id take it to a reputable antiques valuer if you wanted it appraised, but im guessing the sentimental value to your family would outweigh that.
Cheers, TGW

condor22 said:
This piece of jewelry is at least 100 years old, it consists of a central Boulder Opal (I think) surrounded by 4 Emeralds and 5 Rubies.
There is a small Seed Pearl on the loop above the top ruby and the gold appears to be 18ct.
2. As the Rubies and Emeralds are deep in colour, can anyone suggest their source or age?

If my dating guesstimate of around the time of Federation is correct, I'd also suggest that every part of the piece is likely to be of Australian origin - gold, pearl, rubies and emeralds - with this aspect of the design reflecting the pride in the young nation that would have been a common feeling at that time.

It's quite a dazzling heirloom, Condor. Is there a family history of mining-related success in the late nineteenth century? eg. Great Grandpa made his fortune in the goldfields/had shares in an early mine on the Kalgoorlie Golden Mile, or something of that nature?

Oops missed one Emerald, lol. I checked the gold with my jewellers glass and it's 9ct gold. Which given the weight of the central stone is expected, I think anything purer would be too soft to hold it.

I also have been told that rubies and emeralds that deep in colour are quite rare in todays jewelry and may be of Indian origin. I've also found out that "boulder or rock opal" is found in Central Queensland.

It was taken to an opal shop a few years ago (less than 5), the jeweller offered $300. He got told in no uncertain terms.......

Latest posts