National High Resolution Mapping

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Sunrise Boy..I bit the bullet and bought an I Pad...about $800..then put Hema standard topo maps .1:250,000... For 29$..you have to get an IPad with the built in Gps...then it works without internet connection..puts your position on the map..and sat imagery as well..way points I think does most of the things we need...other apps are available for free for navigation as well..takes pic does everything better than my lap top..put it in your back pack when in the bush never get lost and have google sat out in the field with you as well.cheers.the cost of a hema 7 is around 700 so the IPad is a good deal I've got a dash mount and use it in the car as you would the Hema 7..

Thanks for that Baldy. But hell...this is all getting very cosmic (and expensive) for me.

Though I have to say I do like the idea of the GPS thing.

Thanks for that Baldy. But hell...this is all getting very cosmic (and expensive) for me.

Though I have to say I do like the idea of the GPS thing.

After endeavouring to deal with the digital mapping thing, I've realized it's simply just far to stressful trying to find out how to get the pile of techno-speak into my poor little brain.

I guess I'll just have to find hard-copy maps somewhere.

I know what yo u mean Sunrise Bvoy..In a previous life many moons ago in the 70,s I was a Cartographer in survey corps Army,We made most of the 1:100,000 maps we use today..A lot of them I use to say why are we doing the remote maps in WA for...I know why now...Mines..I also did a couple of yrs looking at Sat imagery when it first came out in the mid 70,s for the state govt in Sth Aus..Wow the tech we now have truely amazing..Now it's a new ball game ..Never too old to learn..

Well, apparently I am to old to learn. I've been sent to the various sites to see what's available and it appears every time I go somewhere new I have to spend hours trying to learn the cyber-speak there and the various downloads and how to use them.

Surely there must be a way to secure the mapping info without having to spend days in front of this gadget.

Hi Guys,

I actually only just posted under another topic asking if people would find a mobile app useful with much of the combined features you have all mentioned, allowing for customisation, GPS tracking of trails, finds etc.

I have some experience in development and have contacts in geo surveying I may be able to call on to get such an app built.

If you would use it, what would be the key features you would most like to see?

Cheers,

Karma said:
Hi Guys,

I actually only just posted under another topic asking if people would find a mobile app useful with much of the combined features you have all mentioned, allowing for customisation, GPS tracking of trails, finds etc.

I have some experience in development and have contacts in geo surveying I may be able to call on to get such an app built.

If you would use it, what would be the key features you would most like to see?

Cheers,

1, its gotta work without Mobile service.
2, show gazetted roads and 4wd tracks differently.
3, topography.
4, mines history.
Matt T

Wow, that website is brilliant for prospecting. Its super clear. Shame it doesn't zoom in further.

HeadsUp said:
it wont run on Ipads yet and could be glitchy on Mozilla until July 22 but its all new . high resolution

have a play folks

http://nationalmap.nicta.com.au/
Seems quite glitchy on any browser, but no doubt will be sorted out (too many "cannot access data").

Huge number of layers, including mineral occurrences (eg by commodity type e.g. gold), geology etc. I suspect they will add more.

Looked at my place in the GT using nationalmap and it is still showing a fence and trees that I got rid of about 7 years ago.
And a very low resolution as well.

Latest posts