Fisher Gold Bug information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys I am looking for advice regarding the fisher gold bug.I am a total beginner looking to find an healthy and active lifestyle for myself and my son.I guess the most obvious question is:

1)is this (f/gold bug) A good gold detector
2)what would be an equivalent metal detector by comparison
3)was it designed specifically as a gold or metal(trinkets)finder
4)the unit i am looking at is priced at $200(used)Is this a good asking price???It is in good condition.

If anyone can help me with regards to the Fisher Gold Bug and my questions I would be humbly appreciative.I would appreciate all feed back Cheers!
Dave :

If you don't buy it, tell me where it is and I will!

Is it an original Gold Bug (no screen) or a new Gold Bug (with a screen), or a gold bug II, the best small gold finder there is?

Hi there,

Wanting to hear opinions on what would be considered a good price for a second hand Gold Bug. Not a Pro or 2, just an older Gold Bug.

Plus if a detector looks as if it's been used a lot what can go wrong with them and how best to check if you don't know how to use it?

Can't wait to read your answers!

Thanks!

Karen said:
Wanting to hear opinions on what would be considered a good price for a second hand Gold Bug. Not a Pro or 2, just an older Gold Bug.

Unfortunately, your description still leaves two completely different options.

The original analog Fisher Gold Bug has no display at all - just knobs, a switch and a push-button and looks like this:
1439042610_original_gold_bug.jpg

The later digital Fisher Gold Bug has a large display, only two knobs and looks like this:
1439042352_gb.jpg

Which one is it, Karen?

FYI, there's a very detailed article about the Fisher Gold Bug models over the years, here: http://www.detectorprospector.com/f...old-bug-versus-gold-bug-pro-and-teknetics-g2/

Thanks heaps for that grubstake. That's clarified a lot.

It's the digital one then. I can't imagine what would go wrong with a detector that has been used a lot.

Any suggestions of what to check on it?

Are you able to test it out yourself before you buy it or will it be sight unseen ?
If you are going to have it in your hands, make sure you take a set of headphones with you so you can test it with and without so that you'll know that bit's working fine.
take a look in the battery compartment to see if batteries have leaked in there before(take new batteries to test it with too) just incase they don't have any).
Take a range of targets to test it on as well, that way you will know if it is working properly on different targets, and how it works with an air test(bench test).
Try it wherever you are,.. in the backyard of their place even, so take your own digger with you.
Check that the coil lead is wound around the shaft properly(and not loose),.. if it is you can fix it yourself later,... just be aware that if it's loose and shaking around that it will make the unit seem eratic and it will have false signals and generaly be hard(or careful) work to define anything in the ground,.. but if the unit is sitting still for the bench test, it would all seem great at that moment.
Read the manual online for it so you know what to do with it yourself as well,... but let them show you how it works first, then have a go yourself,....being in the know will help insure you buy a machine that is in good enough condition to do the job you want it to do for you.
Hope this helps Karen. :)

The coil frequently comes into contact with ground, rocks and branches, so check it carefully for cracks and wear. If the detector gives false signals when the coil lightly brushes the ground, this is a sign of internal wiring damage. Are the coil fastening brackets both intact? Rough usage can break them and may have been repaired, but could leave a future weak point.

The digital display is quite vulnerable to damge, as are the two protruding knobs. Does the screen appear OK, with no cracks or bruises (minor scratches are normal), and are all numbers and symbols working properly? Are the knobs easy to turn but not floppy or bent?

Damage to stems or armrest should be visible and any repairs to these parts will probably be obvious.

Australian service and spares for Fisher detectors are available if needed through Goldhunter Detectors: http://www.goldscanaust.com.au/contact.html

Fisher Gold Bug owner's manual: http://www.fisherlab.com/hobby/manuals/MGBUG-02.09.15-Reader.pdf

Thanks grubstake and silver. You guys are awesome! Such great advice for me and a lot to go on.

I've txt the guy that was selling it but he hasn't got back to me yet. Pity, I was keen to have a look tomorrow.

I tried using my brother's discriminator today and got it picking up bottle tops in a park but it wouldn't sound on goldies.

You've given me the idea to look up the manual for it online as it didn't come with a how-to book.

See what tomorrow brings.

Thanks heaps!

I,ve got and used the first Gold Bug, Gold Bug 2 and Gold Bug Pro, all the Gold Bugs mentioned are manual ground balancing ONLY.

The Gold Bug Pro a very likeable detector have developed a harmonic likening for the EMI in my suburban location and have therefore proved to be next to useless in that area, unfortunately it has no frequency shift.

My latest detector a MAKRO Racer same size and sensitivity to small gold as the GB Pro but with heaps more features that make it more usefull to different types and areas of detecting I do.

Either on line from the US or you just have to wait for something to come up on ebay.
Id go a Goldbug2 if u are looking at that brand , there are better options then the standard Goldbug 1 detector out there.

Latest posts