Coin detecting with the AT Pro

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tassie Daz

Darryl Rowley
Reaction score
You know you are onto something when the coins just keep on coming. I came upon a place that was inhabited from 1860ish and has been so in varying forms ever since. So when we decided to take the van for a visit, I had 2 days to hit the spot. I had been there only an hour or so and had taken out about 9 decimals [back to the van for a cuppa] and then after a break hit it again for another hour or so. result another 15 coins. That was me for the day. On the Sunday I gave it another couple of hours in the morning and out came another 8 coins. The total was about $14.20 of spendable stuff given 1's and 2's are now out of circulation. The soul pre-decimal was a 1951 Roo halfpenny, in really good nick. I'm sure there's still a pile of coins left there to find, places that I'm yet to get to. Wish me luck.

What returns have come from your best spot?

Hey the other thing I found was an aluminium tag with "Lindsay Gum" and E. Erythronema on it.

Mr Google tells me, "White Mallee, also known as Lindsay Gum, White-barked mallee or Red-flowered Mallee is a mallee from Western Australia. It reaches about 5-8m in height and has white bark covered with a talc-like powder. It can be pinkish at the top. New bark is pale green.

The flowers are variable - usually red but can range from pink, yellow to cream"

I guess one of the trees in the area is "Lindsay Gum". Must try to track it down next time I'm there. [Sorry no photos. I dropped my little camera and my SLR wont do a pic that fits the forum needs]

Tassie Daz said:
Hey the other thing I found was an aluminium tag with "Lindsay Gum" and E. Erythronema on it.

Mr Google tells me, "White Mallee, also known as Lindsay Gum, White-barked mallee or Red-flowered Mallee is a mallee from Western Australia. It reaches about 5-8m in height and has white bark covered with a talc-like powder. It can be pinkish at the top. New bark is pale green.

The flowers are variable - usually red but can range from pink, yellow to cream"

I guess one of the trees in the area is "Lindsay Gum". Must try to track it down next time I'm there. [Sorry no photos. I dropped my little camera and my SLR wont do a pic that fits the forum needs]
You can change the picture size online or you can download an app called picresize or something like that.

1428922269_at_pro_finds_april_15.jpg

There you go! That was easy enough..........These are the finds from the weekend away. BTW someone lost there house keys and someone also had a long walk home. The things you find!

A few months on, and travelling home after being away for the last 12 weeks, I called into this spot for a nights stay and had a swing. In just over an hour, 1hr and 20mins to be precise, I pulled 24 coins out of the ground - $2x4, $1x2, 20cx1, 5cx2, 2cx7, and 1cx8. I had an extra $2 coin but a young lad came up and watched what I was doing and when he said he'd like to get a detector, I gave him the $2 I had just pulled out and asked him to save it and add to it, to get his own. I wonder if he will !

We are finally home after 13 weeks away. Our trip took in Pt Augusta, Cooper Pedy, Alice Springs, Adelaide River, Darwin, Kakadu, Pine Creek, Katherine, 3 ways, Mt Isa, Normanton, Karumba, Cairns, Clermont, Mackay, Bundaburg, Kingaroy, Toowoomba, Walgett, Burke, Broken Hill, Peter Borough, Crsytal Brook and home.

So it was time to tally up the finds. The notes represent the $117.00 my wife took from the gar to do the washing along the way [13 weeks away, 3 loads per week @ minimum $3 per load = $117.00]

And the tally is............70x1c, 43x2c, 20x5c, 6x10c, 2x20c, 13x$1, 38x$2. For most of the time I had my At Pro set to signal the $1 and $2 coins, so that the reason for the high number of them and the 1 & 2c coins cause that's where they fall in the signal tone.

Also there is
1 mens ring
1 One Penny trade token [told you about that already]
1 florin 1947
2 pennies 1957, 1945
1 halfpenny 1951
1 sixpence 1951
1 threepence 1942
1 "my lucky penny" [not so lucky if the person lost it]
1 Singapore 20c 2013
1 Treasure Island token
1 Pocket watch
4 buttons [assorted]
1 silver charm1 hammer wedge
1 ear ring.
1438759518_dsc08099.jpg

A great haul for 13 weeks. I hope that's a good sign for the trip to the triangle in a few weeks. Holidays are great but give me the Golden Triangle any day.

I think I have a 2015 post somewhere but cant seem to find it. Never mind. I guess this'll be the last post for 2015 so I thought I'd post that finds from last night to round off 2015. No piccies but after an hour at the local town park I pulled 2 coppers out of the same hole, a 1944 and 1945 pennies, in absolutely remarkable condition given they've been in the ground since at least 1966.

It continues to amaze me how the old coins stand up to their earthly vaults, while the newer ones are stained and tarnished in a few short years.

Christmas is over for another year [only 363 days to go till Christmas comes around again] so may I wish you all a Happppyyyyyyyy Neewwwww Yeeearrrr!!!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts