Minelab X-Terra 305 TID's, tips, settings, questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I reckon there would be a hell lot of 505's still in store boxes,
Good thing about them they take all 3 coil frequencies.
I nearly got one at time of buying the 705 but paid the $200 more to get Prospecting and Auto Balance feature's.

A quick question for those who have experience with X-Terra's and different coils.

I use a 305 for coin and relic hunting around Bendigo VIC, and although I am having some success, I find that in some area's I am getting a lot of false signals, so would like to find out if there would be any benefit in replacing the standard coil with a Double D coil ?

Thanks in advance

the DD will seperate the targets better, I did best with 7.5khz Concentric DD. False signals is a seperate issue though, too much sensitivity, swinging speed, hotrocks...

If your using the standard concentric coil around Bendigo then there is a fair chance that some of the ground could be a little too mineralised for it. In general concentric coils can struggle in highly mineralised ground.
DD coils can offer better stability in these areas over a concentric. Not sure if Bendigo Gold have loan coils but you could ask for a DD to test out before buying? I'm just not sure of the ground handling abilities of the 305 so a DD might not be much difference either?

https://www.minelab.com/anz/treasure-talk/which-x-terra-coil-is-best-for-me-part-1

So, after much reading, Youtube video watching and soul searching :lol: , I bought a 6" 18.75Khz DD coil, I also bought a Makro pinpointer.

Took them out for a play, and wow - the little coil is awesome on coins, pulltabs, foil, bottlecaps etc.

Love the way it makes it much easier to ditinquish between different TID's and it punches quite deep, can't understand how some of those pulltabs land up so deep down - anyway ??

The pinpointer is a game changer for me, digging smaller holes and finding the targets a lot quicker.

my finds (without the junk)

1471428230_finds-1708.jpg

my set-up

1471428340_gear-1a.jpg

Thanks for the update on the new coil. Your set up is what I am looking to get in the next couple of weeks. Do you have any further set up tricks or advice.
Kind regards