idea to keep dirt out of pinpointer

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
You can buy this stuff at officeworks, its a clear self adhesive laminate, fairly heavy duty, thicker than contact. I am using it, to stop dirt getting into the speaker, and also covering the button. I know the button is waterproof, but it will save some wear I guess. The buttons work just as well, and after a few hours hunting today, there is no sign of the film lifting.

1438414187_waderdust.jpg

rocketaroo said:
You can buy this stuff at officeworks, its a clear self adhesive laminate, fairly heavy duty, thicker than contact. I am using it, to stop dirt getting into the speaker, and also covering the button. I know the button is waterproof, but it will save some wear I guess. The buttons work just as well, and after a few hours hunting today, there is no sign of the film lifting.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/4395/1438414187_waderdust.jpg

I was going to tape my speaker but after doing some mods I found that what is in that hole isn't the actual speaker, in house stereos this is called a passive woofer, it's like putting speakers both ends of a of PVC pipe then only applying power to one speaker and letting the sound pressure in the pipe run the other speaker.
:)

I just use gaffa tape right around the unit over the speaker hole,... put it on once only,...ever,.. and its never needed replacing. :)

GaryO said:
I have to ask , if its water proof how do they get dirt inside ?
There's a cavity for the speaker and normally they are magnetic and grit jams up some speakers

When you buy a Garrett Propointer it says to hold your thumb or finger over the speaker hole when you wash it under the tap,... taping up the hole with good quality insulation tape from an Auto Electrical Shop from day one of use just makes sure that you won't accidentaly allow dirt or water ingress through that hole. :)

Ramjet said:
Great thinking Rocket. Another option is buying a cover. I bought this one for my original Garrett just before it died. Fits the new carrot so why not protect it.
I tried to find one for my Xpointer but didn't see any. That was several months ago.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/214/1438419524_20150801_185551_copy.jpg

Carrot ?? you Nut, Damn That's Funny, I will never be able to look at that Pin Pointer in the same Light again, lol

Thanks RJ, I needed that, :D :D :D

I am glad RJ got a cover for it, because I turned around a few times, and thought I saw a huge easter bunny, swinging an atpro lol

Latest posts