Minelab GP Extreme tips, settings, questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
when I had my 4000 I was told while using a mono coil ro run the rx switch at dd. would get more depth then running in mono....now I have a gp extreme would I run the same way I guess its normal now on the extreme I would I use the setting e while running mono

gp I have had a few extremes in the early days we ran dd coils ,now days with mono coils I ran the switch in mono and fixed GB with a ground balance button fitted I found it to be a good set up I was using a 14x7 nugget finder advantage coil regards john :)

gp extreme said:
when I had my 4000 I was told while using a mono coil ro run the rx switch at dd. would get more depth then running in mono....now I have a gp extreme would I run the same way I guess its normal now on the extreme I would I use the setting e while running mono

Either way mate it wont make a difference, this was discussed many moons ago when the Extreme was king, running a mono in DD or Mono mode will not increase or decrease the performance of the detector, the only time you need to be careful is when you have a DD coil on you need to be running in DD if you have it on mono mode with a DD coil you will be running in pseudo mono where only the left hand side of the DD coil will become in short a small mono coil.

Cheers,
James

By the way a really fun coil to run on the Gp Extreme is the 10x5DD Pro coil, it will find the smallest of nuggets with ease.

The Mono/E position was initially designed to get a DD to run in Pseudo Mono mode. Mono coils were supposed to run in the Normal/DD position on the switch. However, it was found that some users found this confusing, and most users were running their Mono coils in the E/Mono position, so the labeling of this switch changed on the GP3000.

Now in terms of performance, most Mono's won't run better in Mono or E mode, but the threshold can be a touch smoother. If you're trying to run in Mono in difficult ground, but all means try the E/Mono mode.

However, in normal ground, the Normal/double d position on the switch can be a touch brighter. Some people can't hear the difference, but it is only noticeable on the faintest signals.

Now, what I have discovered over the years, is that certain monoloop coils just didn't like the Mono mode, and perform far better in the N/DD position. So it definitely pays to bury a range of targets and have a bit of a play, and see what works best on your machine and coils.

cheers

PhaseTech said:
The Mono/E position was initially designed to get a DD to run in Pseudo Mono mode. Mono coils were supposed to run in the Normal/DD position on the switch. However, it was found that some users found this confusing, and most users were running their Mono coils in the E/Mono position, so the labeling of this switch changed on the GP3000.

Now in terms of performance, most Mono's won't run better in Mono or E mode, but the threshold can be a touch smoother. If you're trying to run in Mono in difficult ground, but all means try the E/Mono mode.

However, in normal ground, the Normal/double d position on the switch can be a touch brighter. Some people can't hear the difference, but it is only noticeable on the faintest signals.

Now, what I have discovered over the years, is that certain monoloop coils just didn't like the Mono mode, and perform far better in the N/DD position. So it definitely pays to bury a range of targets and have a bit of a play, and see what works best on your machine and coils.

cheers

PhaseTech is on the money and people who complained about this issue or the Extreme just being generally too noisy sent their machines into Minelab and they re flashed the software to that of similar software to the GP3000 and every other machine that went in for servicing so no doubt if your machine has ever been back to Minelab since manufacture it is most probably running GP3000 software.

Cheers,
James.

Hi all,
I'm looking at these machines, but what would you pay for one? There's many around from $600 to $2000
Any other info on these macines would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Paul

All detector and second hand coil prices are craze at the moment with announcement of the gpz 7000 detectors 5000 4500 are being sold as people are trying to get a few extra dollar towards the $10700 gpz price other than take what trade in price if any the dealer will offer regards john :)

old hand said:
All detector and second hand coil prices are craze at the moment with announcement of the gpz 7000 detectors 5000 4500 are being sold as people are trying to get a few extra dollar towards the $10700 gpz price other than take what trade in price if any the dealer will offer regards john :)

I heard only a small number will be accepted
As trade in.

Thanks guys,
Its between an extreme or a sd2200D at the moment, what's the general consensus on both of these machines?
Thanks again,
Paul

Interesting stuff you write. So when I take my extreme to m/l will I have to ask for them to check the software? Cheers

Hi all just wondering if possible anyone in the Sydney/west areas could help me out this weekend i am looking at getting a gp extreme and don't know what to look for, so if anyone can help out and look at it and check it out for me i can pick up and drop off or can meet you there , most likely on Sunday after lunch or Saturday arvo if possible cheers. Ivo

Hi Guys,

Is there a way to know/check if your GP is the later model of that series.
Serial numbers??
Or open the box??
Check the number on card??

Send it to Minelab for a health test??

Thanks in Advance

GD

Hi guys, I just bought one from FNQ, this is a 67 serial number, no mods, I'll email M/L with the full serial number and see what they say.
Cheers,
Paul

Latest posts