NSW STATE FORESTS FOSSICKING PERMIT - VERY EASY TO APPLY

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G'day PA Members, :) Getting a state wide fossicking permit is a lot easier than we thought ;)

The Process is simple

1. Google-- Permits | Forestry Corporation of NSW
www.forestrycorporation.com.au/business/permits.

2. Scroll down till you find (FOSSICKING PERMIT) and says To purchase a fossicking permit you need to REGISTER ONLINE. CLICK

3.Choose option no.2 for (fossicking permit) CLICK

4.Have a quick read about fees and how many member can be covered by the permit then top left side say (START) CLICK

5.It's up to the individual on which area they wanna choose but mainly we click (Heart of the Country) and remember the permit cover the whole NSW.
and it's says (You are now applying for a state wide permit. For our reporting purposes, which area of NSW do you most intend to fossick in?)

6.Fill in the blank. you can choose which date you want the permit to start then click continue, then it will show some rules and regulations scroll down and
(TICK THE FOUR EMPTY BOXES) About what not and what you can do yikes then press the appropriate button to continue.

7.It will ask Visa or Master Card click then Fill in the blank then (PRESS PAY)

8.It will show permit no xxxxxxx click print permit and (Wallah) Two pages of goodness permit big_smile big_smile

9.Always back fill your hole and take the rubbish with you before leaving the property and respect the land owners request not to light fire in their backyard :)

10.But most of all, enjoy and be safe :cool:

Cheers, ;)
''B''

Mod edit: can also use Service NSW now:
https://www.service.nsw.gov.au/transaction/apply-permit-fossick-nsw-state-forest

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for posting this Gold689. The new online system has definitely simplified the process.

I thought we didnt need a fossicking licence in NSW?????
Have i been breaking the law for the last three years???

Um please some one let me know
Cheers Ryan

license is needed for state forrests,beaches are fair game unless council,s say otherwise,never heard of beaches been off limits

Webguy said:
Got my State Forest License this morning, very easy.

onya Webby !

welcome to the forum, heaps of cool info here, have a look for the Aldi posts and watch the vid Ramjet put up !!

make setting up for you much easier, those little buggers discriminate so well , you'll never dig a ring pull !

when are you and Adrian and us going to camp a weekend somewhere and do some swinging ????

The State Forests permit is good stuff, get one! We got ours a few months ago because we found an old ruin marked on a State Forests map. Phoned 'em up and they explained the simple online permit system. Armed with our bit of paper we were off. Found the ruins and some great old finds, coins etc. In more than 30 years of detecting I've hardly ever seen any 'official' presence anywhere, so imagine my surprise when the official 4WD came slowly down the track.

"G'day, mate. Got a permit?"
"Sure."
He glanced at it then said, " Great, enjoy yourselves." He also told us about another ruin a short distance away not on the map.

Now, I could have risked it on that day, but the encounter with a ranger might have been less pleasant and more expensive. If any government authority wants you to have a permit, just get it and leave it in the car. You might only use it a couple of times a year, but at least you have it. It's a few dollars but the peace of mind is worth a lot more than the money.

Wal.

Hi All,
Am I right in understanding that metal detecting IS then allowed in NSW state forests.

When I read the NSW state forest guide it says no powered equipment.
The woman at the office when I organised my permit also said no as it was "powered"

However in the government guide to Fossicking in NSW it also stated
metal detecting is permitted anywhere fossicking is allowed.

In the guide to fossicking in Orange it says
"Power-operated equipment including mechanical, hydraulic, pneumatic,
battery and electrical equipment or machinery is prohibited on land or in
waters for surface disturbance, excavation or processing."

This would still allow metal detectors and is probably what is meant in the state forest info?

Probably explained somewhere on this site I did try a search

New to this...
Thanks
Steve

The day that they allow that area, You would not get within kooee of it. :lol:
Besides, They would not want the sphagnum moss walked on. :p

phil said:
state wide permit so does that let you detect around kiandra legally cheers

Who said you do? You don't - you only need it to fossick in allowable areas of NSW State Forests. If you don't want to go into the forests to fossick you don't need one.