Cleaning modern coins. Decimals.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi to all My name is William,I am a newbie to this group,I only have an old detector and a bung hip which allows me to only look and learn for the present,however I do have another hobby that of coin collecting and the rule of thumb with coin collectors is never to clean a coin you think may be valuable,so if you find a 1923halfpenny,a1946 or 1925 penny definately don't clean these lots of luck with your detecting regards William,known as bigmaxno1 :D

I got a lortone tumbler at chrissy and the modern coins I just throw in the tumbler with water and some small pebbles to required weight and a couple of drops of dishwashing liquid and set them going for about 2 hours then empty and refill with clean water and repeat...brings them up clean enough to spend them..

bigmaxno1 said:
Hi to all My name is William,I am a newbie to this group,I only have an old detector and a bung hip which allows me to only look and learn for the present,however I do have another hobby that of coin collecting and the rule of thumb with coin collectors is never to clean a coin you think may be valuable,so if you find a 1923halfpenny,a1946 or 1925 penny definately don't clean these lots of luck with your detecting regards William,known as bigmaxno1 :D

G'Day there bigmaxno1 - aka William.

I just pulled an 1875 Half Penny out of the ground this afternoon. Bit green and discoloured from being in the soil, but otherwise in reasonably good condition. :| 8)

I guess then I should leave it as it is then. :)

I would be interested in what is valuable and what is not for my own interest. If you have any information that would be greatly appreciated.

Will be posting some photos from the latest search soon.

Regards Monty

What have you tried so far Frogger ? if you only want to spend them just use a wire brush bit in the drill and make up a wooden jig to hold them in place as you rip the black stuff away. I just used a spade bit and drilled a small hole in some timber so that 1 face of the coin was up above the timber.

That CLR CLEAR stuff might work , ( calcium , lime , rust remover ) , she's pretty caustic stuff , can buy it generally from supermarkets or the hardware store.

just get some sort of container and soak it in it for a bit then take it out and use a nylon bristle brush if it needs a scrub up after the soak .

Just be a bit careful of the stuff though , as I said it pretty caustic stuff.

Hi all,,
I have used white vineger and salt to clean my modern coins with some success.
However, the other day I used the same solution, which had been used with many coins which left the coins with a green coating. This was washed off in fresh water and dried. The coins were then clean/. After a couple of weeks, I checked out the coins and found that they were thickly coated with the green. I then tried to remove it with water and found it was near impossibly to do
Since throwing out the solution, I have been able to clean other coins that have been collect.
It looks like I overused the solutionAny ideas of how to clean the green off the orig, coins.

Trev111]

or a wire brush on a drill,...... I have a board somewhere with shallow holes drilled with spade bits, that are only half the depth of the coin sizes they hold,... you just pop the coins in and hold the drill wire brush down on them untill they are shiny, then turn them over and repeat on the other side,... use safety glasses and protect your eyes at all times(you only get two of them for each lifetime). :)
rocketaroo said:
We talking spendables? Stick em in a vice, and use a wire brush.

possibly from copper coins. Also pennys and 1/2 pennys are also green. How to clean these without damaging

Not a pile of 1930 Pennies and 1923 Halfpennys ? with a few 1916 Mule Halfpennys here and there ?,.... is it ? :eek:

Toothpaste for modern coins?

When I was a kid, I accidentally dropped change into a tin of ceiling or wall paint. When my dad found them (he was a painter) he commented that they were all shiny and new looking after a wash with water. So there's one to try!

Been doing a bit of testing and best bang for buck and minimal effort has been Hydrochloric acid so far. I tried some silver/gold/copper coins, took about 30 seconds in solution to clean all the black/dirt away.

I'd probably dilute it for a large lot and let it sit for a couple of minutes with a bit of agitation, then rinse with water.

Note it will slightly pit some coins. This is for clean and spend only, make sure the 20 isn't a florin! I guess composition changed some years because some of the same denomination coins are bright and some are dull!

Apologies if it's been covered before.

Hi all
I have a question as to cleaning
20c 50c $1 coins as I have a large collection of heard to use Pepsi ??? Any advice would be very much appreciated

Latest posts