Minelab CTX3030 tips, settings, questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi everyone im new to the forums and would like some experienced users of the ctx to let me know how they are liking the machine so far .I currently have a deus xp and love the machine in trashy sites and iron ,its incredible but i was thinking of getting a ctx just for its target trace and more accurate id profile .

Would love to hear from users experiences with the machine i went on another forum and all i heard was that the screen played up or had to send it back for service or its no good in iron or its to slow ?.So now im not so confident about purchasing one .would love to hear some other user views on the machine.

Counselling would be Cheaper And Then You Can Get the V3i with its Trace Screen, And It Works In Iron.

the CTX Is not the only machine of theirs that Has Black/Blue lines appear on the Screen,

Ridge runner .So you actually think the v3i would be the better machine because i hear alot about the ctx not being able to see certain targets even at 6inches i seen this video today that kinda made me think twice about the ctx .https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2ovwAnJKsA . The v3i does look pretty nice as well .

xpman said:
Ridge runner .So you actually think the v3i would be the better machine because i hear alot about the ctx not being able to see certain targets even at 6inches i seen this video today that kinda made me think twice about the ctx .https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2ovwAnJKsA . The v3i does look pretty nice as well .

The CTX Is A Machine that has certain Qualities But Iron Sites is not one of them and the V3i Has Adjustable Recovery and every thing else, They Are Both Good machines, BBS and FBS have trouble seeing fine Gold and Chains Unless the are Chunky, there are enough Videos on YT Display This for everyone to See.
But the Housing on the CTX/GPZ is not made of Flexible Plastic and it Cracks easy as does the Stand and the Screens Have been having problems with getting Dark Blue Lines going from top to bottom, when the screen Die's ML just replace the Whole machine which is Good, The thing Is people need to remember that they are a piece of electronic equipment and they should not be so Rough On Them, Many people use them and love them, Others Don't,, Horses for coarses.

With the Whites you Get Metal Box Construction So They don't suffer from such Issues,

Wow big debate haha.hmmmm not sure weather i should get a Ctx anymore seems my Deus can do everything it can accept that target trace feature seems nice being able to know weather you are over a good target or trash .I felt a Ctx the other day and wow are they heavy .Looks like im gonna have to think about it for a bit .It looks like a cool machine though.

Ridge Runner said:
xpman said:

The CTX Is A Machine that has certain Qualities But Iron Sites is not one of them and the V3i Has Adjustable Recovery and every thing else, They Are Both Good machines, BBS and FBS have trouble seeing fine Gold and Chains Unless the are Chunky, there are enough Videos on YT Display This for everyone to See.
But the Housing on the CTX/GPZ is not made of Flexible Plastic and it Cracks easy as does the Stand and the Screens Have been having problems with getting Dark Blue Lines going from top to bottom, when the screen Die's ML just replace the Whole machine which is Good, The thing Is people need to remember that they are a piece of electronic equipment and they should not be so Rough On Them, Many people use them and love them, Others Don't,, Horses for coarses.

With the Whites you Get Metal Box Construction So They don't suffer from such Issues,

I disagree about Iron sites RR, that's what the Ferrous/coin setting is for, picking out coins amongst larger ferrous trash, it works great. Been using this function a bit lately. There are many different ways to set up a CTX and each setting has it's merrits. I usually keep mine set to fast recovery also, horses for courses though.

I'm loving my CTX, it's bringing home the bacon.

Heatho said:
Ridge Runner said:
xpman said:

I disagree about Iron sites RR, that's what the Ferrous/coin setting is for, picking out coins amongst larger ferrous trash, it works great. Been using this function a bit lately. There are many different ways to set up a CTX and each setting has it's merrits. I usually keep mine set to fast recovery also, horses for courses though.

I'm loving my CTX, it's bringing home the bacon.

To Tell ya the truth Heatho, Your Subterranean Success Has restored My Faith Some what, Which means I have the Urge to open my Wallet and Flash the Plastic,
Everyday you post all them finds makes it worse and There is only One Cure,

I'm Sorry But I have To Ask, But Why Do You Punish Me So?? Are You Trying to Save My Soul or Stop Me from Going Off The Rails??

I love Whites machines But I know I have not got the Patients To mess about with the V3i, That Only leaves the CTX out of the Top THREE Machines.

How is the weight of the Ctx Heatho .Also i heard you have to swing them slow .can you still swing the Ctx at a decent speed .Because im guessing the weight of the machine would hurt your arm after a while ?.

xpman said:
How is the weight of the Ctx Heatho .Also i heard you have to swing them slow .can you still swing the Ctx at a decent speed .Because im guessing the weight of the machine would hurt your arm after a while ?.

He don't know Mate, he Tows it behind His Ag Bike, lol

xpman said:

To be honest the weight doesn't bother me, I can swing it all day and it's still fine, some others mention they get a sore arm.

I only swing as fast as the target clutter allows, for instance in low trash areas where targets are spread out you can swing it as fast as you like, in higher trash and densely packed good target areas I naturally slow down to be able to interpret what the detector is telling me. Swing any detector too fast and you will certainly miss targets, deus or ctx you are bound to miss good stuff by racing.

The CTX target ID is not super stable when there are other targets next to each other in close proximity, sometimes you need to investigate targets from different angles which I do with any detector anyway.

Read the manual then reread the manual, then,,,,,, read it again and again.

Being able to sample targets is awesome, the goldies program I set up on it rocks.

Hi Cuz

Not overly hard if you take the time to read and test the configs.

Just remember what may suit one person in one part of the world/Australia amy not suit your conditions or ears etc.

PS. Welcome

Thanks for your info and welcoming. I currently run a 705 and love it. Just bought the young fella a Garrett 250 I also started a Fb group where we exchange our daily finds and humour.

Latest posts