Minelab GPZ7000 information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SCROUNGER said:
Well i'm wrapped in my sdc, no complaints at all other than the headphones that come with them. The original post was simply a statement about two blokes who both complained about their 7000s not living up to their expectations. I just thought it was weird that they'd jump straight in and blow that sort of money without hiring, speaking to others first, doing some research etc etc. Money obviously wasn't and issue because they both also ran 2300s as well. I couldn't agree more Heatho, if you don't like them, can't afford them, or if they don't suit where you detect etc, don't buy them.

have you tried the 2300 on the beach .also how do you think it would go does it have any discrimination at all .thinking of getting one just to hammer the surf seems like a great little machine love the way it folds .

Mate, i'm only a newbie myself. I've been at it since around march this year and i bought it because it is simple to use (i don't have a technical bone in my body) and it was a machine that my wife could use as well occasionally without been trained up with settings etc. I only detect for gold around the GT. I think (but don't quote me) that it needs different, waterproof headphones for submerged water use. It doesn't have discrimination at all. I'd be surprised if there aren't cheaper machines more suitable for beach detecting, but again, don't quote me. There are others on this site that have years more expertise that will no doubt be able to help you out. It may be worth posting a question in another area pertaining to beach detecting. Sorry i can't be more help and good luck.

blakegarv said:
SCROUNGER said:
Well i'm wrapped in my sdc, no complaints at all other than the headphones that come with them. The original post was simply a statement about two blokes who both complained about their 7000s not living up to their expectations. I just thought it was weird that they'd jump straight in and blow that sort of money without hiring, speaking to others first, doing some research etc etc. Money obviously wasn't and issue because they both also ran 2300s as well. I couldn't agree more Heatho, if you don't like them, can't afford them, or if they don't suit where you detect etc, don't buy them.

have you tried the 2300 on the beach .also how do you think it would go does it have any discrimination at all .thinking of getting one just to hammer the surf seems like a great little machine love the way it folds .
An ATX would be better for the beach but if you don't like heavy machines, which by your numerous complaints on other threads it would appear you don't, then be best to steer away from either the SDC or ATX. I wouldn't get a SDC - most overpriced & overhyped machine today :/
I see you work in electronics - maybe you can research, develop & put into the market place something that can better Minelab that is cheaper without the hype?

Heatho said:
I've detected quite a few .03 nugs with my SDC and from all reports the 7000 is just as sensitive to the small stuff.

Hell Yeah, The SDC can see em for sure as does the ZED, I just don't see the ZED seeing an 0.03 bit at 6", But the way these machines are moving on its only a matter of time.

Went to a PMAV meeting in Ballarat last night & they had the local ML dealer there with a 7000 to give a little talk & info, he did mention something about coils & said they were going to have an 11 & 20 inch coil but they have been held up a little so not sure when they will be released just yet. Price is meant to be around $1500.
The 20" is probably going to be heavy, considering the coil that comes with the 7000 has 1600 feet of wire in it.

ozziii said:
Went to a PMAV meeting in Ballarat last night & they had the local ML dealer there with a 7000 to give a little talk & info, he did mention something about coils & said they were going to have an 11 & 20 inch coil but they have been held up a little so not sure when they will be released just yet. Price is meant to be around $1500.
The 20" is probably going to be heavy, considering the coil that comes with the 7000 has 1600 feet of wire in it.

$%& me, They don't miss ya do they,, :eek: :eek: :eek: I take it that was for the 20" coil,

GPZ 7000 SOFTWARE UPDATE!!!!

Minelab are pleased to announce the first software update to our GPZ 70000 detector. This free update incorporates a new Auto Ground Tracking Algorithm resulting in improved Auto Ground Balance functionality.
This GPZ software update improves the detectors ability to track to the ground, such that more of the audio you hear is from gold nuggets.
Resulting in -
More stable threshold
Higher sensitivity
Less false ground signal interference
Precision ground tracking
More gold found
This update also maximises achievable detection depth in any given soil type by delivering improved tracking of the yellow ferrite when ground balancing.
When is this happening?
Monday October 12th. Full details of these features will be available via www.minelab.com
How do I upgrade my detector?
Updates can be done easily via Minelabs XChange 2, or manually via a file transfer method when XChange 2 is not available, e.g. if using a Mac.

Yeah I saw that earlier on. Be interesting to see how much difference it makes.

Other electronics have been using the firmware update system for years. Its great that ML have caught on and we can have these tweaks done without having to send the unit in for service.

It will be good to hear of any difference. Still need the ferrite by the looks of it.
It's good to see this after speculation as to whether it would be possible or happen at all. Hopefully it continues with the Zed & other new models also.

My main concern is regarding one of the quotes on that PDF:

Who is Dr. Philip Wahrlich?

And why isn't Bruce Candy being quoted?

updated the 7000 between detecting sessions today....unfortunately i was in different locations each time so not able to totally compare the difference. At Inglewood this morning found very few targets. Faint signals that i dug resulted in subsequent confusing sounds and no finds - like hot rock sounds i guess. I dropped into Bendigo Gold, the guys were great and as luck would have it an update was available (i also learnt a lot from the guys re the soil types here). The short arvo session at Whipstick didnt result in gold, however ALL the same faint sounding targets were now locatable and were primarily lead shot...i was happy to know i was not digging in vain. I do think the auto balance kept the machine smoother than prior to the update. Also i noticed after the update that following step 1 in the ground balance, instead of the pic of the sweeping coil action showing it had the ferrite in the pic! And a heads up it will wipe any memory and you will have to reset you external speaker set up/wifi etc. Settings were the same for both sessions except for sesitivity (10/11in morn, 7/8 in arvo- probs needed this in the morn). high yield, difficult, audio smoothing off. More testing needed and will do over next few days. Pity the update didnt include Mac compatability! Also, anyone know if you can access the time of day on the screen? We enter it on set up and i guess it logs with gps waypoints or finds, but i'd like to know if we can see it via the menu...no luck so far. Anyhoo time will tell

only thing further to above is prior to the update i did have topump the coil on quite a few occasions attempting to smooth the sound....no doubt i could have decreased sensitivity amongst other things but after the update things stayed settled. Definitely have to mention neither of the above used the ferrite... left that at home:(

Sure about the ferrite?
In my instruction sheet it shows the ferrite now part of the visual process.
1444647023_capture.jpg

Being a Technaphobe I panicked at the thought of connecting to a PC to do the upgrade!!!

Ha! Could not have been easier or more straight forward... Up until this I couldn't even spell TI...

Hopefully the machine will now run quiet enough to turn up the threshold.

Cheers

yup left it at home this trip, up till now was sort of under the impression it was only needed in extreme WA type soils / or if you couldnt get smooth operating. hope it works a treat though.

Latest posts