Grabben Gullen information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,
heading to Grabben Gullen for a couple of days fossicking next week.Is the camping spot off Wheeo Rd? Bit hard to find on Google Earth.

Nug4me2 said:
Hi,
heading to Grabben Gullen for a couple of days fossicking next week.Is the camping spot off Wheeo Rd? Bit hard to find on Google Earth.

Yes it is, though when you get to the turn off coming from Gunning it is actually called Sapphire Rd on the street sign.

BIGRED said:
I walked the creek first trying to find a good spot but people have been everywhere down there I tryed working the far end on the first day there is a big pebble wash about half way down I was working that's as I noodled a few sapphires off the top but failed to find any bigger ones I tryed digging down and found similar heaps of black jacks and maybe one or two baby sapphires out of 2 buckets I dug down to clay. I even managed to move some huge rocks and found some in the first ft but while digging down I found beer cans I think although it better there than other spot I've been to. Still too many people have been there well before we have! I'm on the hunt for more spots to try my luck, I'm not sure if it's the fact I'm not looking in the right spots or that it's been worked too much already?

Big Red, you're doing well mate, that's a pretty good haul for newbies. Like Gold, large quality Sapphire is rare, maybe only 1 in every 100-200 will be a large cutter. There are quite a few small ones in that pic that you could send to Thailand, save up a few more trips worth and send the nice little ones off, they look great when done, even the small ones.

You'll get a beauty sooner or later with determination like you've been showing.

Some great posts here. I've never been to GG but will do soon. On looking at the sat image of the area I was wondering how far either side of the bridge you are allowed to dig before you have to bother the land owner. I have marked areas that would be a good place to look but wondered how far everyone ventures. Obviously the closer to the bridge, it comes down to luck in finding anything substantial that others have missed.

It looks like a beautiful spot
1425525527_grabben_gullen.jpg

Thanks heatho :) I will keep trying for the big one. I try to get out as much as I can, as we do!
I've herd of the place in Thailand it will be good to see a few of them cut. I getting a fassating mechine soon off my nan who's going to teach me how to do it to see if I like it or have the time

That will be brilliant Big red. It is lucky that you have someone to show you what to do.

Has anyone been out to GG lately? What's the water level like at the moment? Still lots of overgrowth in the river I imagine with the warm, wet weather!

Cheers,

Hi hamish I was there today the water is good there's a little bit of weed but not too much I was easily able to run my Hb with no problems and for the first time using it I had a little luck biggest 3ct and a six pence :)

Great news big red! That's a really pleasing result!! Where abouts in the creek were you digging? I'd love to see photos if you have them!

no mate keep going on the dirt road the road will turn back into tar about .5 k along you will come to a left turn called sapphire road I think turn down that dirt road travel down to the river you will see road before the bridge on the left turn down there hope this is right been awhile :)

Owen and Jenny who own the land up and downstream from the bridge have asked me to make it public that there's a total fire ban at the moment, and they "DON'T" want any camp fires on or near their property. Last night there was again a campfire lit, even though there was fire ban notices posted.

With it being a forecast of a hot summer, they prefer no fires at all even if there is not a fire ban. Owen is kind enough to let folk prospect the creek for Sapphires so adhering to his wishes of no fires is the least that a "genuine" fossicker can do.

After a lengthy chat with Owen, conversation came up that numerous prospectors out there mentioned that they new myself and Liz and could he direct them to the locations we dig out there. Name dropping is something I "detest" in my book, and if you don't know me of Liz "personally" using us as an opportunistic way of getting onto a property will backfire on you in a big way when we find out who you are. :mad:

I've asked Owen to take down names and car regos of supposed "name droppers", and rest assured I will make them public if this activity continues.

Enjoy your prospecting out there and treat the place like your own backyard, or you will be responsible for yet another location being closed for the guys going out of their way to do the right thing by our hobby.

Wal.

That's bad ethical behaviour Wal , I wouldn't let people like that on my property. Good on you for adressing this early. Cheers Joe

gday wal, on a different note, ive been googling info on the Whites TDI OZ PRO, just wanted to thank you and esspecially Liz for putting up those great you tube clips, thanks liz, give her a hug for me!

Latest posts