Fossicking/Prospecting in the ACT

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colin&Lee

Colin&Lee
Reaction score
Can anyone shed some light on whether fossicking/prospecting is illegal in the ACT. I've heard conflicting things and can't seem to find any info on the TAMS web pages.

Cheers

Col

Hi Col...I'm not sure about the legalities as there is not much to fossick for. There are no gemstones or gold worth talking about. I've lived here for 50 years and the only place you can pan a few specks is the Yass river at Macs Reef road....and Brooks Creek on the Federal Highway. There is an old tunnel on the 'Bidgee below Lower Molonglo called the Belconnel Mine and there is some copper associated minerals in the tailings. These few areas you can fossick all you like and I'm sure you won't have anybody telling you otherwise. You can travel an hour in any direction out of Canberra and find good fossicking areas. Wee Jasper..Grabben Gullen ...Bredbo... Oallen Ford...Majors Creek /Araluen ...just to name a few.....Cheers Wal. :)

Hi -

WalnLiz you mention a great list of fossicking sites within 1 hour of Canberra. I am looking for a place to take my cub pack fossicking one weekend when the weather gets warmer.

Can you make any specific suggestions? Given that these are kids aged between 8 and 11 I think that the preference would be for gold - something they can all identify easily. Even if we don't find anything they will have had fun and, I'm sure of it, fallen in the water :)

Thanks
S

Hi MrsB - there used to be a place called Bywong Gold Mining Town - a unique educational experience set on an authentic site, a town which existed from 1895 to 1906, in natural eucalyptus bushland. I am trying to find out if it is still open. regards Jed

Hi Jed & Mrs B,

Bywong Gold Mining Town I am affraid has shut down.
Currently it is for sale on All Homes.
I don't know of any other simular places around Canberra.

Hi I'm new to this site but I have been following Wal & Liz on YouTube, top stuff!!! I was wondering if there are
Any places around nanima NSW to use a Highbanker?
Thanks All...

G'day NJJ,

Brookes Creek and the Yass River are about the only two in that area with a bit of gold in them, but most of the area is on private property. If you're from the area and know some of the locals you may get some access. There's not a lot of gold, and a short trip out to Oallen or Grabben Gullen would serve you better with a banker.

Best of luck with it,

Wal.

Thanks Wal,
I was heading out to Grabben Gullen next week, I was inspired by your trips there that you have on Youtube.. Can you still find gold or has it been flogged? (next to the bridge)

Thanks Wal your a Legend,

NJJ

There's still some gold with the Sapphires around the bridge, but a walk upstream will serve you far better.

Wal.

Latest posts