Show us your camp set-up

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice camp there Billy....looks pretty comfortable. Must be recent as there is no Courier in sight ;)

MJB said:
Nice camp there Billy....looks pretty comfortable. Must be recent as there is no Courier in sight ;)

Thanks MJB, The top 2 photos with the 2 utes are very recent and yep no Courier! Wonder what she's up to now ;)
The last photo was taken a few years ago on a very wet and cold winters day! Kept warm with a big fire and some homemade "pirate fighting rum" ha ha.
The Courier was the transport for that weekend and is just out of shot.
I hear she's in good hands and still getting out and about! ;)
Cheers,
Billy.

1431412153_img_2061.jpg

My son sleeps in his swag beside his cruiser and i sleep inside my defender 110. This was taken on a fishing/4wd trip we did into the upper KIng River in Victoria late last year.

Nice Scrounge!
Every time I look at photo's of past camps makes me want to go back there too!

Soon I hope to be able too and add to the thread!

For now though :

1435650712_tent_2.jpg

1435650712_river_ute_camp_3.jpg

P.S. Photo's taken a few years ago and rumour has it that someone else may be enjoying the Courier now! ;)

Cheers,
Billy.

I'm on holiday at the moment living it up in a resort, and yet all I want to do is camp in the bush!!!
Clean rooms, swimming pools soft beds and civilisation are great for the wife and kids but give me a rough bush camp and a nice fire and I'm in heaven.

I don't think it matters too much what your gear is as long as you can get out there. One of our most memorable trips was 6 weeks from Pelican in QLD to Capel WA in the first model Ford Festiva. We flew to Brisbane with a billy and pan, cutlery and a mug, a small backpack each (the kids used their school bags) and a sleeping bag. We picked up the Festiva that Mum had dropped there for us and shot straight into Kmart. We bought 3m of black garden plastic for a groundsheet, a little single burner stove and bottles, an air-mattress each, two $6 chairs, a couple 5L bottles of water and a small box of food with long-life milk. We used paper plates and disposed of them in the campfire.

We went from Brisbane to Pelican via the Bunya Mountains where Sandra and the boys spent half the night trying to catch fire-flies that they had never seen before. At Pelican they saw the big green frogs like they had never had the opportunity to see in Western Australia. Then experienced the awful sound of their last cries as they were swallowed by a carpet snake in the dead quiet of the night.

We travelled south and took the 4WD road over 16 river crossings in the Condamine Gorge before spending a very wet night at Glen Innes. The next day we went into the two buck shop and walked out with two $16 tents that we used for the rest of the trip if the weather turned against us. The under-seat cavity was already taken up with air mattresses and behind the seat was full up so the tents fitted between the kids on the back seat. We ran out of fuel approaching Broken Hill and it took all four of us to push it close enough to town to get phone reception to call the RAC using Mum's membership.

That was more than ten years ago and to this day we still talk of that great adventure in a tiny car with no air-con, just wind down windows.

However as you age a little comfort is appreciated. Now we travel in a self sufficient 4WD camper that needs no setting up and all we have to do is remember to take the kettle off the stove before it ends up down the stairwell where it landed the day before.

The most important thing is that your setup doesn't cost so much that you can't afford to go camping.

1436455317_dsc01613.jpg

This is my camp this summer in august in Nevada. I always setup a 10x10 breathable shade canopy, trees are few and far between. Canopy has to be breathable with leg weights since winds come up some evenings to 35-45 miles per hr. I use the ct110 to get around once camp is setup,
1446754001_img_0512.jpg

How hot does it get there in August sniper? I dunno if i could handle that much space without any trees :lol:

Generally upper 90's, sometimes into the 100's. We try and work both ends of the summer season, spring and fall up there. Avoid the worst of the heat. This yr we got rained out badly first week of June. That was something different, usually no rain past May. This is Majuba mountain in the background.
1446757605_img_0515.jpg

Latest posts