Minelab X-terra 705 General Tips, Advice, Questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all, I found a spot that is an old site turned junkyard. I had a go but every single step I'd get over 5 ferrous signals, I know this is a good spot but how would I go about finding stuff here? I had a go using the gold coil provided, seeing as it is smaller it might be better. So do I just switch on AM and let the signals drive me crazy? :lol:

You can get used to the constant grunts. I find it hard to use any discrim, maybe its just me, but I reckon that good signals, are easier to hear in all metal mode. Like anger says, you have to back off the sensitivity.

I'm also running a 705
If i'm in a trashy area i drop the sensitivity anywhere from 10 - 20 ( even at 10 u still get good depth ), being familiar with the machine i tend to run it around 20 in AM mode and dig anything 10+ - make sure to check your holes twice with pinpointer because u may dig a pull tab but a coin may be very close as well

But yea, just let the signals drive u crazy u will get used to the constant noise, keep a close eye on the numbers and swing slow ;)

Weaman

Hi guys. I'm pretty new to this. I picked up a xterra 705. Any tips off a quick start to this machine? I've watched videos and read notes but have got alot of different settings and answers. Thanks guys much appreciated!

Hi All,

Very new to this site, though I've been reading it for a few months as a guest.

I've just purchased a Minelab X-Terra 705 with the dual heads for gold as well as general relic / coin hunting. I've also watched many youtube videos on how it operates and tested it a few times now. My only decent find being a 1985 50 cent coin.

However, I'm a bit lost as to where I should be using this decent piece of equipment? I come from the Mornington Peninsula in Melbourne/Victoria so trying to get a way to the triangle is a little hard for me until I can get time off work.
I've attempted two beaches but only one had 50 cents and the other was empty with junk (shoe buckle, pull tabs, beer tops, foil from the juice bottles, and what appeared to be a sinker.) But I'm lost as to where else I can take the detector without breaking the laws.

Thanks in advance for any feedback :)

You can learn the basics by doing more hunting on the beach. Make sure to "do the right thing" and remove the junk as you find it. That helps detectorists maintain a well-deserved reputation as good guys.

When you eventually find time to go to the goldfields, you will discover that finding gold - as in nuggets - is much harder than you imagined. You will be digging up all kinds of rubbish there as well, whether it is old stuff left behind in the 1800s by the early miners, or pull-tabs and other modern junk as well. Small shotgun pellets and .22 bullets are very small and sound like gold. Again, those in the know who do the right thing will dig almost everything they hear and pick up the rubbish as they go. Look in this forum where others show the sh*t they dug up first. But from time to time you may just find a small bit of gold. This will keep you hooked.

Damn infectious this "gold fever", and I don't believe there is any sure cure. Welcome to the world of Fossicking! :)

gedanate said:
Damn infectious this "gold fever", and I don't believe there is any sure cure. Welcome to the world of Fossicking! :)

Thank you! :) Yes I've been dreaming of this hobby for a good 5 - 8 years now with my parents but they could never afford a detector. So I figured for my 25th birthday I'd spoil myself and buy one we could all use!

So far my boyfriend and I have been the ones using it and everything we've dug up we've kept. Not just to clear a better area for us in the future to hunt, but also because we wanted to remember what we've dug up (even if it is mainly pull tabs and bottle caps right?) :D

Thanks Ramjet! :) I did try one sports oval (which is also near an old dry creek bed) but again I got pull tabs from the canteen area, and a there were too many large rocks to dig in the creek bed area unfortunately so we had to give up that location unfortunately.

What are some suggested tools to use as well? For the moment I have a small collapsible shovel to dig the areas and then just sift with my hands through the dirt clumps until I actually find what it was beeping at.

Coin popping is by far my favourite method, you just need a decent pinpointer and screwdriver and no one will ever know you were there, it takes practice but is worth learning.

Canteen areas are hard, the tremendous amount of pull tab signals you get, its like popping popcorn under your coil, you have to swing really slowly.

Coin popping looks fun! I might give that a go too!
Looks like I might try the railway area near my house. I remember finding 1 and 2 cent coins there as a kid and just found out it use to be the main rail in 1900's and possibly a park land area near a local quarry which is both bush, park land and mountain terrains. :D

Hopefully there are some nice coins there for you. Some spots are better than others and any spot is worth investigating. Yesterday the first hour for me yielded pretty much only junk but I persisted and it paid off. Once you get used to the detector and understand 100% what it's telling you you will find that you start doing a lot better.

Always ask yourself when starting at a new place, "where would be the best place to sit down", as that is where the most coins will be. Shade trees are great, small raised areas as they are usually drier than the small gullies where water runs off, on flat areas coins can be random and anywhere. I use Google Earth historical imagery also as sometimes it captures where people like to congregate.

Latest posts