Minelab GPZ7000 information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jarrahrules said:
Hey Guys. Just to through a spanner in the works. I am thinking of buying a second hand zed. Im going to WA in July i hope, and would be green with it. I have a 5000 and can use it okay. I think it wouldn't take much to get used to. Am i being silly or do you think I could learn it in a very and i mean very short time.
I live 3hrs from a gold field so i don't think ill get to practice before i go?????

I found my 7000 very easy to learn and operate. There is a wealth of information online as well as instructional videos. While I know this wont ever replace hands on experience, it will give you handy tips that make things easier. If you have a 5000, I cant see you having too many problems. Just bear in mind though that it is a different machine. I have been told by others that have a 5000, that the tones do have subtle differences.

Thanks guys.
I did have a quick swing of a friendly members zed and it didn't seem that different.
When I read that you can cancel the ground balancing by doing what we do to ground balance the 5000 I was a bit concerned.

jarrahrules said:
Hey Guys. Just to through a spanner in the works. I am thinking of buying a second hand zed. Im going to WA in July i hope, and would be green with it. I have a 5000 and can use it okay. I think it wouldn't take much to get used to. Am i being silly or do you think I could learn it in a very and i mean very short time.
I live 3hrs from a gold field so i don't think ill get to practice before i go?????

I love the zed, simply though I wouldnt pay top dollar for a second hand model.

In saying that, I'd buy a second hand one though, but I'd be paying the seller stuff all. It's second hand and they don't want it.
Save your biscuits and buy new. You know everything about the machine then.

There is enough gold around that you can be sure saving your cash until you can afford a zed you will still be rewarded.

Can get a second hand one for about 9 so that's a great saving. Also the one I'm looking at is from someone I know so it may be good? ???
Why buy new. You lose the gst part straight away anyway.

Agree jarrahrules with the proviso that you do get it checked out and confirm it's OK. That's a lot of money to blow if it's not up to scratch. Good luck and post some results if you do go ahead.

At that price I won't be running around getting it checked out etc. I can guarantee its good. Sorry to waste your time. Don't worry about it.

At that price I won't be running around getting it checked out etc. I can guarantee its good. Sorry to waste your time. Don't worry about it.

jarrahrules said:
That's weird on my phone it wasn't there soo pushed submit again. But hey already on there :/

SCROUNGER said:
Ran into a couple of blokes up near talbot today who are selling their 7000 already. Not that impressed with it apparently, both were also running 2300s and they reckon they're the bees knees. Be interesting to see how many 7000s come onto the market from people who perhaps bought the 7000 and are maybe discovering they are too much detector for what they're doing detecting wise?

personally i think minelab really screwed up with the design of the ctx3030 and the 7000 and for what they do they are charging way to much .i was a huge minelab fan but ive been turned off lately by them thier machines dont seem to deliver like they once did .grabbed a deus and couldnt be happier . the 2300 does seem like a good machine .

the fact that minelab have went from $1800 for a new treasure detector to $2700 and $4000 for a gold detector to $10000 just seems unjustified and feels like a slap in the face to all minelab supporters .im very displeased with minelab at the moment and i hope they lower thier prices and realise that we supported them for many yrs and this is what we get in return .im sorry but 10k for a machine i dont care what they have in it it aint worth 10k .

bob hillier said:
SCROUNGER said:
Ran into a couple of blokes up near talbot today who are selling their 7000 already. Not that impressed with it apparently, both were also running 2300s and they reckon they're the bees knees. Be interesting to see how many 7000s come onto the market from people who perhaps bought the 7000 and are maybe discovering they are too much detector for what they're doing detecting wise?
sent my 7000 back to minelab,spent four days in golden triangle,kept loseing targets,contacted minelab who gave me a test to do,five cent piece in air test should be picked up at 15 to 18 inches,could only pick up at 8 inches,next test,.03 of a grm.gold should pick up at 6 inches, would only pick up with coil siting on top lost signal at one inch,minelab think it may be a faulty coil,minelab have had detector for one week,still have not any information,only to say they are so busy,maybe they have a lot o returns,minelab have been so good in the past just hope they pull the finger out,as i have lost two weeks, four days expenses motel 1000klm travel ect. $36.80 to return.three friends who came with me for trial,two canceled order for 7000, one is sitting on the fence. i have had twelve detectors,detecting since 1976 have been around the block a few times,so come on mine lab, give me a fair go...bob hillier.

I can see it picking up the Coin at that distance but not an 0.03 Nugget at 6 inches, I think they got the Decimal point in the wrong place,

18 Inches on a 5c that is Awesome, that means If you ever find a 50c with it you better have the Ambos on Speed Dial, Geeze 18 inches That's Brilliant.

blakegarv said:
SCROUNGER said:

personally i think minelab really screwed up with the design of the ctx3030 and the 7000 and for what they do they are charging way to much .i was a huge minelab fan but ive been turned off lately by them thier machines dont seem to deliver like they once did .grabbed a deus and couldnt be happier . the 2300 does seem like a good machine .

the fact that minelab have went from $1800 for a new treasure detector to $2700 and $4000 for a gold detector to $10000 just seems unjustified and feels like a slap in the face to all minelab supporters .im very displeased with minelab at the moment and i hope they lower thier prices and realise that we supported them for many yrs and this is what we get in return .im sorry but 10k for a machine i dont care what they have in it it aint worth 10k .

I don't see the problem, they make detectors for every budget. Don't like them then don't buy them, simple. Minelab gold detctors are generally all very good and way ahead of the competition......

Well i'm wrapped in my sdc, no complaints at all other than the headphones that come with them. The original post was simply a statement about two blokes who both complained about their 7000s not living up to their expectations. I just thought it was weird that they'd jump straight in and blow that sort of money without hiring, speaking to others first, doing some research etc etc. Money obviously wasn't and issue because they both also ran 2300s as well. I couldn't agree more Heatho, if you don't like them, can't afford them, or if they don't suit where you detect etc, don't buy them.

Heatho said:
blakegarv said:
SCROUNGER said:

I don't see the problem, they make detectors for every budget. Don't like them then don't buy them, simple. Minelab gold detctors are generally all very good and way ahead of the competition......

dont worry i wont be buying another minelab for a long time overpriced and overhyped .i might buy a sdc2300 but thats the only detector of minelabs i would buy out of the lot lol .the rest are subpar and overpriced and i work in electronics so i know when i look at the ctx3030 and the 7000 im paying $2700 for a machine that most likely cost them no where near that to make and the 7000 egzactly the same deal .