Getting Around the Golden Triangle in a Toorak Tractor

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just came back from a few days in the Big Desert State Forrest with 30 FJs. We camped at white Springs.

It was interesting watching others on the long weekend trying to get up the Lookout sand hill.

We watched 80 & 100 series, Ford Ranger, Prado, Hiluxes, Patrols, Pajeros and a few others tackle this hill and fail.

The FJs with suspension lifts managed to get up, some after a couple of goes.

My Maxtrax were on the roofrack all weekend, I've still to use them.......lol.

and as I'm going to Loveday in a few weeks, still to wash the dam thing....

condor22 said:
I just came back from a few days in the Big Desert State Forrest with 30 FJs. We camped at white Springs.

It was interesting watching others on the long weekend trying to get up the Lookout sand hill.

We watched 80 & 100 series, Ford Ranger, Prado, Hiluxes, Patrols, Pajeros and a few others tackle this hill and fail.

I thought that the suspension and drive train of the FJ was based on the Prado? So was it technique, rather than vehicle. I had to do a lot of dune crossings and sand pits while caretaking a cattle station in the west last year and technique does play a significant part.

Rob.

hi all, just wondering if anyone could help me and my 7 year old son . We are looking for somewhere to go camping in Victoria that may have a remote chance of him detecting some gold with his new detector. Thanks for any help you could give us.

condor22 said:

I can tell you from vast 4wd-ing experience of 25 plus years that in most cases its the inexperienced untrained drivers that fail, not the vehicle. Most 4wd's on the market are extremely capable machines which most people would be amazed if they knew what they can do inc all the fails you mentioned above.

GT

The FJ has the Prado chassis and petrol engine, it uses the Hilux transfer case and the suspension definitely aint Prado.

The Prado is all wheel drive all the time with a low range. The FJ is part time 4x4, with low and high range 4 wheel drive and comes with a rear diff lock standard.

But, you are right, the biggest part of the car that is an issue, is the "nut" behind the wheel :lol:

I know its still early days but good to mention the National 4x4 outdoors expo & show will be on again from 21-23 Aug :D

Latest posts