1870 Canadian 25c - Unknown Obverse Type

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattr

Matt
Reaction score
Hi, everyone.

I'm trying to find out if this coin is worth selling but cannot get a straight answer regarding the obverse type.

I'm seeing graded coins just like it that each contradict the other, in regards to:

Chin,
Nose,
Ribbon,
'C' being almost closed,
'I' pointing between denticles, etc.

From what I can gather, there are five Victorias.

One is young with a tiara, leaving four 'old girls'.

Out of those four, there only seems to be a mention of Obverse #1 or Obverse #2.

Out of those two, there are people (coin dealers) saying that they doubt there IS a #2,

Yet an amatuer like myself can spend all day finding these graded as obverse #1 and #2,

but can't make heads or tails of any uniform distinction.

Can someone who looks at coins please throw some light on this for me, pleease?

1434802165_2015-06-20-200553.jpg
1434802182_2015-06-20-200649.jpg
1434802222_2015-06-20-195900.jpg
1434802242_2015-06-20-200114.jpg
1434802258_2015-06-20-200206.jpg
1434802277_2015-06-20-200331.jpg
1434802296_2015-06-20-200407.jpg

I believe that obverse #1 & obverse 2 refer to two versions of the coins with and without the designer's signature on the curve at the bottom of the bust. The more common version should have L.C.W., the rarer one is missing it (refers to the designer Leonard.C.Wyon)

There may also be a few other minor differences listed in the link below:

https://www.jandm.com/script/getitem.asp?CID=3&PID=99

Thanks, Goldpick.

I found that site last night while I was obsessing, but that page refers to the fifty cent piece.

They have an equivalent page on the twenty-five but no mention of the initials for it, with or without.

I've not been able to find a twenty-five that mentions LCW but for the fifty, they are in abundance and all mention whether they do or don't have it.

Looking at the fifty, the LCW is very easy to see and I am certain that my coin is without it but still uncertain if any twenty-fives had it.

Thanks again for your help, Goldpick.

I'm hoping that it is a new detector and not a new iced coffee, otherwise I'll just keep it and look for something else to hock, haha.

Doh, that's late night searching for you, 50c not 25c! :8

Upon further reading, looks like obverse #1 & 2 refers to the number of different dies used to produce the obverse side of the coin. So maybe the reverse of the coin had the same die for the life of production, whilst the die on the obverse was changed out or re-manufactured sometime part way through production due to wear. Hence there may be some minor differences between the two master dies or a refurbished one. As you mentioned, some seem skeptical that an obverse 2 even exists, going as far as to say it was misreported that a 2nd die was ever used.

I think the problem with these sorts of minor differences is they are often open to interpretatio from both buyers and sellers due to lack of mint records back in the day, differences may well be down to just die wear, who knows.

Interesting reading, though not directly related to the 1870's coins, still explains the issues regarding different dies used. :)

http://www.rcna.ca/sample/review.php

That website said:
...It was also common practice in some years (mostly in the 1800s) to reprocess selected worn dies which had lost their sharpness of detail but were still otherwise sound. Such dies were softened, resunk and again prepared for coining...

So, probably how this sort of thing happens, then?

I got the picture from here, http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=170459

from a guy with the exact same dilemma as myself, regarding this particular coin.

1434888858_444.jpg

The only reason I'd even heard of 'obverse 1' or 2 was from this price listing:
http://www.coinsandcanada.com/coins-prices.php?coin=25-cents-1870&years=25-cents-1870-1901

I'd have been quite happy to know that my coin was worth $50 by looking it up and seeing it in a list.

But then they start throwing around prices like $500 poor condition, to thousands, depending on version,

you sort of want to find out before 0800 Monday, what you're looking at. :p

Latest posts