Crevice Sucker Pipe

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrisJoe

Joe
Reaction score
As a newbie to this life of adventure and excitement, I have been doing a lot of rsearch on various techniques and devices for extracting the gold and concentrates.

I have noticed for a lot of people who use or make a hand dredge with the PVC pipe etc and have a feeder hose into a bucket, most of the time they seem to use a ribbed hose like the grey water hose you pickup at Kmart garden section.

Now from a technical point, this hose is ribbed both inside and outside, now with the ribs on the inside, would the specs not get caught in these many many many mini riffles on the way to the bucket?
Would a smooth hose not be the wiser choice?

a650d975-7c7b-47a1-8d77-4fdf58ace6c3.jpg

gold-n-sand+Feb+2009+036.JPG

So am I better to use the smooth hose or ribbed hose for my "crevicing sucker"?
Because just thinking about the cleanup, as the small ribbed hose would need a good shot with the hose down it to clean it out compared to a smooth hose.

Watch this space for my "crevicing sucker" that I hopefully will get the parts from bunnings today for

Smooth hose would be ideal but the ribbed stuff will work fine.
It'll just be at final clean up time that you need to give the hose a good rinsing to wash out anything caught in the ribs.

BrisJoe said:
So am I better to use the smooth hose or ribbed hose for my "crevicing sucker"?
Because just thinking about the cleanup, as the small ribbed hose would need a good shot with the hose down it to clean it out compared to a smooth hose.

Watch this space for my "crevicing sucker" that I hopefully will get the parts from bunnings today for

BCF have a 28 mm smooth bore flexible hose if thats big enough , if not then try the ebay hose guy

i wouldnt use the hose with ribs inside because they fill up with little pebbles and when you roll the hose up it will crack and leak

not to mention the risk of losing gold in there

jewellers send their vacuum cleaner hoses to be smelted once or twice a year for that same reason.

Can you guess what I am going to build....

1372574332_dsc_0159.jpg

Actually it's 3 projects in that tub...

"Crevice Sucker Pump"
WalBanker
Combined blue bowl/sluice processing plant for doing all the filtering of concentrate at home.

I will tomorrow hopefully go and pickup 50x 10L plastic buckets for $25 so I can start going and collecting buckets of cons from different sites around Brissy as a start while I build up the processing blue bowl setup

BrisJoe said:
Can you guess what I am going to build....

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/805/1372574332_dsc_0159.jpg

Actually it's 3 projects in that tub...

"Crevice Sucker Pump"
WalBanker
Combined blue bowl/sluice processing plant for doing all the filtering of concentrate at home.

I will tomorrow hopefully go and pickup 50x 10L plastic buckets for $25 so I can start going and collecting buckets of cons from different sites around Brissy as a start while I build up the processing blue bowl setup

Nice collection of goodies there Joe.
But when "Honda" is mentioned as a pump I think you've gone a bit too far..... :lol: :lol:
Cheers mate
Happy building
Chris

Got the hand pump built, just need to get the glue so it can be finished and a 30mm steel ball bearing and figure out a way to secure the hose to the handle, thinking I'll need to get a piece of rubber hose and some clamps and just patch it on

Is there a plan or instructions on how to fabricate a "Crevice Sucker pump" similar to the one pictured above

Thanks

Pete

Ok picked up 50x 10L buckets today to use as cons collections so I can bring it all home and process it at my leisure, anybody need any? lol

Also got the 30mm ball bearing and other ball to finish the check valves in my sucker pump, just need to glue it all together now and she right to suck.

The hose connects to the L bend in the handle

1372667279_dsc_0160.jpg

you will need a steady flow of water to prevent the hose blocking up

keep the handle pumping non-stop and when you want a rest , lift the nozzle up out of the gravel and put 4 or 5 pumps of clean water through the hose

if it keeps blocking up you might have to shorten the hose

if twas' me i would keep the hose shorter than 2 metres

i will send my carrier pigeon over there , please clip no more than a kilo of gold to its leg each trip coz he is getting old ...

Yeah that was the plan to have the shorter hose, just havn't got round yet to trimming it to size, as still need to make a collet device to keep the hose secured to the outlet nozle.
The hose I have chosen is also smooth on the inside to avoid the previous minerals from getting pre sluiced inside the hose as mentioned in the first few posts of this thread