Black stuff on Quartz??

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys, I came across some nice looking quartz while out detecting the other weekend and some of it has a black bitumen looking substance on it, was found near and old mine in the middle of the scrub and wondering if it's what they refer to a black leather or is it decomposed slates?
1434435084_dsc07093.jpg

1434435247_dsc07094.jpg

1434435247_dsc07097.jpg

1434435247_dsc07099.jpg

I also found some other interesting looking rock that I'm yet to crush.
1434435592_dsc07087.jpg

1434435592_dsc07090.jpg

1434435592_dsc07092.jpg

There is an area not far from Dunolly that produced a fair bit of what we called 'black gold', and was
encased in oxidised ironstone.
I wonder how many blokes threw them away thinking they were hot rocks?

Thanks HYT, had me puzzled why they'd have bitumen in the middle of the bush, I need to study geology more I think :/

To me the black / orange / brown thin coating is oxidised iron and the thick black heavy mass between rock is manganese dioxide used for dry cell batteries.

If its not, you may have a indicator line that the old timers would follow. get out a scope and look for pyrite cubes in the think black. Most likely not an indicator as I cant see lamination or a slate with it

High AtomRat, yes it's the thick black tar like mass that I was asking about, probably not the best pics but it looks like the stuff they fill road cracks with and was on a fair bit of the quartz around the old mine. It's in the Talbot area if that's any help but I was just curious as to if it was natural or placed over the rock in processing for any reason.
I'd not seen it before and learning a bit at at time, leather jacket was the term I was looking for in the OP not back leather.

Definitely manganese oxide ...im more interested in the small cubic void in the top pic...ex sulphides are a good indication of a mineralised vein...the surface stuff is all secondary weathering

When I picked up one piece of rock a small pyrite fell out but it was too hard to find in the leaf litter at the location, these rocks were from 2 different locations that I've marked on my maps for next time I'm out there and will spend a lot more time at each one.

Latest posts