Nice bit of rock

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dug

Reaction score
1433850302_image.jpg
1433850420_image.jpg

I just thaught the outcrop looked pretty good.
No colour though.
Do you test every stringer or is one in a group enough ?

Love the dark stone on top of the outcrop.....dark is good (usually)

I would be sampling ground with a pan right around the crop.

You can crush samples from each shoot to test if thats what you prefer, but i would be looking for the one that intersects with the darker ironstone again, or any other natural trap zones.

Pan the dirt between strigers for color to set your path to discovery of possible enrichment areas......nice looking ground man. ;)

Meta

I had a spare hour at the end of the day ,didn't have any tools or bags ,so I just went for a wander and picked up a likely looking rock that contained a stringer like formation within it.
This particular spot was loaded with stringers crossing the bedrock .

I do not mean to sound ignorant, but can somebody explain these two pictures more please. I am not a geologists and know nothing about rock, but we do know that ironstone and coloured quartz is always a good indicator. What do you mean by a stringer? Thanks TG

1434366289_image.jpg

From what I know these would be stringers / leaders
Sort of the sideshow to the main event.

Gday Dug,
I can probably clarify that term for you a bit. Imagine that the gumleaf in your photo is the surrounding rock and the vein that runs down the centre is quartz, now see all the small veins that run off it - these are like stringers. Small veins of quartz that have spread into cracks from the main source of the quartz. This main vein like the one in the centre of a leaf is called a leader. Unfortunately quartz is only an indicator and can form in many places for different reasons and in different forms. Its worth studying the ways in which these minerals form to be able to identify the formations that have the best possibility of carrying gold.
The outcrop in your photo looks promising, it would be worth sampling around it and directly below where its been weathered as well as further downstream/ downhill to see if more colour can be found.
Best of luck, TGW

Thank you The Green Wanderer, I love your simple explanation. I'm a visual learner so now I get it. Finally.

Latest posts