Polishing large specimens

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Everyone :)
I don't know much about rock hunting, but while out and about chasing gold, I have started picking up pieces that catch my interest.
I have a couple of pieces of what I believe is jasper. They weigh a few kilos each, and I would like to cut and polish several faces for display, showing off the bands of colour. But I don't really know what I'm doing :)
Now, being a noobie, but having a background in the building industry, my first thought on cutting was to use a brickies saw. Not having one, I opted for an angle grinder with a diamond cutting wheel. Which gave me a not so flat face (see photo)
I reckon my next step will be to clean up the face with a cup shaped diamond grinding wheel, like we would use to surface concrete. ( Stop me here if I am straying down the path of absurdity :) )

1433248348_image.jpg

Now, once I get a relatively flat, smooth face on my stone, how do I polish it up to that nice glossy finish I have seen on other specimens?
I would love to hear everyone's insights

Cheers
Stu

I'd probably try going to your local lapidary club and seeing what they have in terms of rock saws. They'll do a much better job of it, and they probably also have flat laps you can use to polish them.

I concur with mfdes Stu - you really want to run them through a purpose-made rock saw and polish them on a flat lap or something similar. Your local lapidary club will have all this equipment.

Cheers

Latest posts