What are these pretty green things?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K-Dizzle

Krystal
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I found these pretty green things up on Southern Highlands.

I'm guessing they are a mineral of sort, but as I have no clue what I'm doing I'm probably wrong. The green is so striking and the pictures really don't do them justice.

1432612978_image.jpg

taken in the shade and below is taken in the sunlight

Looks like some sort of silicified stone, maybe a jasper? Hard to tell. Do you know what the geology is in the area?

They were found on my friends property in Kangaroo Valley, I've heard of people finding sapphires and gold in the creek near the bridge in Kangaroo Valley but as it isn't legal to fossick there I haven't been able to confirm that anywhere online.

Jasper would be pretty cool, I thought it was red though?! Showing my noobieness here.

Thanks Casper, people usually get use to my weirdness eventually :)

I'm use to being in groups where the men outweigh us girls. I've been a geek my whole life and there are not too many girls out there who like the things I do :(

I used to live in the valley as a youngster, had i nice rock collection till we moved 8.(
I remember a friend of dads used to have a few stories of panning for gold around the valley but i was too young to remember them. If you already know someone in the valley maybe they could help you get access? I am guessing Its upper Kangaroo river you are having trouble accessing as I assume you can still go for a poke around below hampden bridge?
I know agate, petrified wood and coal are common as well as red and green jasper, so i think mfdes nailed it.

I really hope it is Green Jasper. I'm going to join the Illawarra lapidary club, as soon as I work out how. Are you allowed to poke around in the creek under the bridge? I thought it was a big no no.

It has been a long time since i have stopped in there, but you used to be able to access the river via the caravan park next to the bridge. We never did any digging though, used to just pick up nice rocks :cool: had no idea what they were back then. But i don't see why it would be a problem, used to be a big reason why people visited the valley.
Was there a reason why you thought it was a no no? I was planning to take my daughter to the museum and have a poke around under the bridge one weekend, so i hope it is still ok. Will have to look into it.

I just heard you're not allowed to fossick anywhere except for private property with the owners approval or designated areas. I've quiet often gone to creeks and pulled rocks from the water, no digging at all, but put them back as j didn't want to get in trouble. I could be wrong though so please tell me if I am, so I know for next time.

The guide lines say:
Where can fossicking take place?
As a general rule, fossicking in accordance with the legislation can take place on any land, provided
that permission is obtained from the landowner or land manager, except in National Parks where
fossicking is prohibited
Note: To fossick in State forests you need permission from Forests NSW, in the form of a special
purpose permit
What consents/permissions do I need?
for private land the permission of the landholder;
for Crown land that is managed, controlled or under trusteeship - the permission of the
trustee or manager of that public or local authority. To fossick on these lands the consent of
the appropriate authority (e.g. Land and Property Management Authority, Forests NSW, local
council, Livestock Health and Pest Authorities, Trustees of Commons) is required.
Information about the ownership or status of land can be obtained from local councils or the
Land and Property Management Authority. You can contact Forests NSW (a division of
Industry & Investment NSW) for information about State forest land;
for land held under a lease, licence or permissive occupancy under the Crown Lands Act
1989, the Crown Lands (Continued Tenures) Act 1989 or the Western Lands Act 1900 - the
permission of the lessee, licensee or occupant. Information about the ownership and status
of land may be sought from local councils or the Land and Property Management Authority;
for land that is covered by an exploration licence, assessment lease, mining lease, mineral
claim or opal prospecting licence under the Mining Act 1992 the permission of the
titleholder. However, permission is not required from the holder of an exploration licence
where the licence is affected by a Fossicking District. Information regarding the location of
titles and fossicking districts can be obtained from Industry & Investment NSWs Maitland,
Orange and Lightning Ridge offices or by searching the TASMap facility:
http://www.minerals.nsw.gov.au/tasmap/;
where native title rights and interests in land or waters have been determined to exist under
the Commonwealths Native Title Act 1993 - the permission of the relevant registered native
title body. For information about registered native title claims in NSW go to:
http://www.nntt.gov.au/Native-Title-In-Australia/Pages/ACT-New-South-Wales.aspx.
Fossickers must comply with any conditions or requirements of the landholder. These could include,
for example, which tracks to use, which paddocks to avoid, the use of gates, or periods of access.
Note: A landholder cannot permit the carrying out of activities that are prohibited under the Mining Act
1992, the Mining Regulation 2010 or under other legislation.

So you may fossick on crown land that is not under native title, managed, under lease or covered by an EL, without any permission needed :rolleyes:
Last i was aware That part of Kangaroo river had none of those and has public access from the caravan park, sou you should be right to have a dig.

You can collect rocks from most places except National Parks and some conservation areas. Dont feel you have to put them all back ;)

I think Jasper as well, could be wrong but this info is from the GE overlay I use.

208211 - Kangaroo Valley
(Kangaroo River Chalcedony Occurrences)
Coords: -34.721074,150.565843
Mga_coordsys: MGA_56S
Mga_north: 6155190
Mga_east: 277104
Loc_method: 250K
Accuracy: 250
Major_comm: silica gems - cryptocrystalline
Size_code: OCC
Comm_type: GEM
Met_prefix: Unknown
Geo_province: Sydney Basin
Metal_dist: not assigned
Op_status: never worked
Op_method: no workings
Lga: Shoalhaven
Compiler: JR Reynolds 22/06/1999
Last_update: 1999-06-22
Occur_size: Occurrence only
Notes: Agate and jasper occurs as pebbles in holocene gravels in the Kangaroo River and Brogers Creek. MacNevin & Holmes 1980.

There is mention of Sapphires at Carrington Falls, I was told this by someone as well as reading it but I think it's now National Park and off limits.

Latest posts