Another day out

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goldtarget

(AKA OldGT)
Reaction score
All inspired this morning with a fully charged battery I headed out to keep trying this thing called detecting. I have to say I'm getting a wee bit obsessive now I've picked up a capable machine. Same old story as the alluvial though so many great spots to go that are likely makes it bloody hard to decide and stay focused, keep dreaming of big nuggets just around the next hillside.

I've been lucky enough to have had my share of decent blokes take me out to some prime spots and in good faith I have dutifully stayed away until they can come with. So in anticipation of a meet up for some more likely spots I've put my head down and just focused on some lesser areas but employing good technique.

Alas nothing worthy yet but today I felt I made some real progress. I nailed 25 targets of substance in worked areas that came through the headphones as just aberrations in the threshold that firmed up as the top layers came off. I really did think I was gold bound on at least 3 of those targets, all lead in the end at differing depths but all in solid unmolested ground. Tis true the locals have been firing shot just as long as digging hillsides.

The low point for the day was a half a dozen targets that were back filled. I know everyone will have their thoughts on this but I reckon its pretty shameful. I can't see much sense in it really, if you're honestly going to work the ground I don't the sense in putting the rubbish back in. Hopefully the day ended for them in nothing but junk.

The highlight was watching a bloke run the sdc up the hillside upslope of the gully and ground I was working and pull out some beautiful little pieces of sub gram. Not only have I seen the ground worked over and over I've seen it worked by an Sdc on a couple of occasions.

Good stuff mate. I was feeling the pressure to find after putting in a decent amount of coin into the 4500. I was lucky enough to find a little tacker in the first outing. All my pieces have come from flogged areas. No one gets them all I've come to discover. Heading out tomora. In search of some ground away from the diggings. Hopefully it pays off however I might well come home empty handed.

Chucked a sickie today and headed out again with a mate keen to give me a few pointers. We worked on swing speed and techniques (not a complete hack but always glad for a few pointers) settings in relation to ground type and gold type ( now this really did open my eyes wide) followed by some consideration in orientation to topography ( aka ground reading) and some handy hints on the gear. Ended up pulling a few dollars out of the pocket I'd set aside for coils for more "pressing" essentials. This detecting business is going to require some outlay me thinks.

Anyway around lunch we headed out to a private plot and revisited the mornings lessons this time with me attempting to replicate what I had been shown. With a few gentle reminders we were away. After a good half an hour I was sure something was wrong, and called my mate over who just laughed about the lack of targets. Seems we were on hard won ground and I was a late invite to the party!

My mate trekked back over to where he left off and a few minutes later called me over hurriedly. I saw him digging and rushed over to see him waving the coil over the scrapings and a very positive signal. Locating the nugget a decent size he hands it over to me covered in dirt. He then asks me to give it a wash. I didn't have any water on me so a start towards the vehicles to which he says "Aye where you goin?
I reply with " Gunna grab the water bottle out of the ute."
He says "Na mate us pros just use a bit of spit, stick in in your mouth". Dubiously I did so copping a mouth full of dirt. Spitting it out I instantly smelled a rat. Here in my hands is the exact same nugget my mate had dug weeks earlier last time we were out. Here he is in fits of laughter over his practical joke. Trust no one.

We came up short on any gold for the day but I had an amazing time and learnt a few things, mostly trust your instincts haha. Another day closer to finding the first bit I reckon.

Lol.....cup hand, place peice in hand and then spit on it. Wipe clean with fingers!

Dont put it in your mouth dude...might have to send you off for more OHS courses! :p

Glad you had a great day mate. Even If no gold, but still lots of editions to the database...its a winner!

Cheers ;)

Latest posts