Treasure Snoop Metal Detector

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

josh87

Josh
Reaction score
Hi just wondering if anyone has had experience with this machine and your opinions of it mine arives later this week

Ive briefly seen one of these (or a very similar model) in action. I would say its fine for your first detector but its obviously a cheap unit and wont perform like a $300+ one. If it is your first detector my only advice is dont get discouraged if youre not finding too much with this machine. I'm sure you will find stuff with this detector but I've heard of people buying either a cheap detector or one that isnt suited to their needs, then giving up prematurely because they arent finding anything or what they expected to be finding anyway, in this hobby you need to have real expectations and a lot of patience.

Once it shows up, if you wouldnt mind doing some air testing and reporting back it would be appreciated.

Thanks your response i sure will do some air testing. I'm really itching for the machine to turn up

I know what you mean, I was the same waiting for mine to arrive. It'll be worth it though :p

The depth gauge is a little iff i guess that's cos there's. allot of rust in the dirt let from old fence wire

Yeah that can be a pain, are you able to discriminate it out? Also try a few different areas and see how it goes.

The depth gauge should only be used as a rough indicator anyway, they're usually not 100% accurate.

Has anoyone else used one of these machines, I know it's chinese and cheap but it seems to work Ok for what it costs <$100.00.

My advice is when you buy something it is like buying oats for a horse the oats for the front of the horse is expensive the oats from the rear of the horse is cheaper
My suggestion would be a second hand Garret ace 250 if you can get one great starting machine that will find heaps

Pete_The_Prospector said:
Have you used one stewart?
Yes I have brought one, it seems to work ok, it does discriminate betweeen ferrous and non ferrous, the prob i'm having is with the surposed ground blance. I'm still playing with it but have found coin in the local kids parks and a lump of lead at my son inlaws place.
I'm just waiting for the cooler weather to go out to an old mine site i have researched.

Interesting advice there duck :lol:

I agree with the second part of duck's sentence, if you can afford an Ace 250 this would be your better option, but if you already own a GC1038 I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on it.

Hopefully someone who has used or owns a GC1038 can comment on your original question.

If you can get one under a hundred and it gets you hooked on the hobby then it is a good buy. I know someone using one and they are finding coins with it.

Digging up an old thread here...

Curiosity got the better of me and I dropped $79.90 on one from ebay...

Spent about 2 and a half hours with it now and to be honest I'm actually enjoying it... I've used some pretty decent detectors and this is not by any means a replacement for any of them but I stand by my comment above that if it gets you hooked then it has done its job.

1372070944_dsc01212_medium.jpg

1372070971_1038predec.jpg

Can't argue with results :D

Mate that's fantastic results, well done. It sounds like a great machine to keep in the back of the car for those unexpected urges :lol:

What size/type coil is it using and do you know what sort of depth you're getting out of it?

Nugget.

Comes with a 5x10 concentric coil. Not getting huge depth, 3-4" on the silvers. I think the beauty of this one is that it isn't sensitive enough to 'false' on every tiny bit of metal in the ground, but a nice round high conductor gets the beeps happening.
There is a section of my park that I haven't been able to hunt as the EMI has been overwhelming on every detector I have owned, changing frequencies doesn't help, this one was quiet as and is where I found the shilling. During the beep and the pinpointing process you can hear the EMI pulsing though...

Hi Ben,

I had one of these a while ago, didn't find gold but found lots of other junk/lead/brass etc. with it. Sold it but wish I had kept it as my nephew is getting interested in metal detecting & would have made a nice, cheap starter machine for him until he worked out how serious about it he is.

My opinion is they work ok for what they are & cost. Not a bad option for someone wanting to have a muck around to see if the hobby is for them or not without breaking the bank.

mbasko said:
My opinion is they work ok for what they are & cost. Not a bad option for someone wanting to have a muck around to see if the hobby is for them or not without breaking the bank.

My point exactly!

Can anyone help with how to properly ground balance the GC 1038, I don't seem to be having much luck.

Regards
Stewart

Hold the pinpoint button and whilst pumping the coil turn the GB knob until it is quiet.