Minelab Go-Find information, questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chewy said:
Yeah RM's is well set up, I was quite surprised. I thought it would be a few detectors on display, but they have a good selection and are well stocked.

I think Anvil are looking to stock more of the Minelab range in the future, but good to know RM's are reasonably close by. :)

Goldpick said:
Chewy said:
Yeah RM's is well set up, I was quite surprised. I thought it would be a few detectors on display, but they have a good selection and are well stocked.

I think Anvil are looking to stock more of the Minelab range in the future, but good to know RM's are reasonably close by. :)
Cool, I zipped up to Naracoorte and picked up a pin pointer a while back. Handy if Anvil are gunna stock some gear to.

Yes we just started receiving the Go-find detectors into stock.
Have a couple of go-find 40's available at $299.
Some customers already like them over the Xterra's.

Cheers.
Lee.

Thinking about getting the go find 40. There's a hole in my heart after i sold the xterra 705. I miss ducking out to a local playground for half hour when i cant get out of town.
Went and had a look at some and i love the simplicity of it.
however i feel i might be better off looking for a second hand 305

I bought a go find 40, took it out of the box and the lower stem wouldn't lock.... I didn't even put batteries in, it was so flimsy I just got my money back. (Cam lock was faulty) :rolleyes:

Makes me wonder how long the locking setup on the lower stem will last with dirt and grit getting in there, guess time will tell. Though I have noticed you need to give it a good yank to lock it in, otherwise it will simply start to slide back into the middle stem again. I would have preferred another stem lock like on the middle section to keep things in place.

Greglz86 said:
At risk of looking silly I will admit i just got one.
I just got a brand new 60 at $290.
Unwanted gift supposedly.
Lets see how it goes over the weekend. Just need to find a way to let the missus know that i spent more money :8
Haha I hear that. It's like an easter egg hunt at my place trying to uncover the gear I've gotten without approval to take out. If you find the right way be sure to let me know!

Goldpick said:
Makes me wonder how long the locking setup on the lower stem will last with dirt and grit getting in there, guess time will tell. Though I have noticed you need to give it a good yank to lock it in, otherwise it will simply start to slide back into the middle stem again. I would have preferred another stem lock like on the middle section to keep things in place.

I often worry about this with my sdc. Hasn't happened yet but iys still early days.

This looks like a great entry level coin detector.

I was thinking the 705.

But great price point for the 60.

Hi everyone,

Firstly a disclaimer, I have only just started prospecting so please excuse my review and insight into this MD and technical terms but wanted to share my experience today with the limited knowledge I have picked up greatly from perusing this forum and youtube.

Today brought myself a Minelab Go-Find 40 from Anaconda. Adventure Club sale on MD's brought this down to $269.

It was completely assembled and ready to go, just put in 4xAA batteries and it was on and ready to use. It was collapsed into a very neat and small arrangement. Within a matter of 5 seconds I had the base and steam out and the control panel extended out. Took a little longer to adjust the arm support but once you figure out the ridged clips its easy. The instructions are basic yet easy to understand for someone like me who has never owned a MD ever.

I attempted to test it around the house which was a bad idea (rookie mistake - picking up the nails in the floor and studs etc) so ventured to the local school behind my house where my kids go (FYI - the kids came so this test was done whilst under the influence of parenting also)

It has 4 levels of preset discrimination (20 has 3 and the 60 has 5), I chose only to pick up silvers/ring pulls and coins, eliminating the iron and foil. I soon learned I had to stay at least 500-600mm away from the playground structures or it would pick up the poles etc. At full extension I was a little hunched forward but I'm over 185cm so I expected that. I staged a few coins under the chip bark to get an understanding of how sensitive the led indicator bar was (1 green bar was weak and 5 green was very strong) and also the depth gauge. I found that any coin about an inch under bark and soil would resister 4-5. I then would use the pinpointed button on the panel which worked very well.

After getting a feel for how it behaves I went sweeping around the slides (plastic). Right away at the base I got a 4-5 green reading along with Coin indicator on the panel. Strong loud high signal (3 levels of signals of the 40 - Low for iron, mid 1 for foil and high for silver/coins). Sure enough as with my staged tests, under about 2 inches of bark was my first ever real MD find, a $2 coin...this was the moment I'm sure many of you have felt, no need to explain...

Anyway continued around the play area (mainly chip bark and loose soil) and found some broken silver pipe, a dense piece of metal which I'm yet to wash and look at, a zipper head, old can and some other non discreet trash. I found a coin which was about 4" down in solid dirt which ended up being a 10 cent piece. Was getting dark, my last sweep found another $2 coin near the monkey bars.

So all in all $4.10 and some relics....but more then anything priceless experience on learning my machine and all those "ahh ha" moments putting the words and terms I have read and seeing them play out in front of me.

Only things I will say about the this MD is the pick up is quite slow/delayed. I really had to master this in the staged process to understand how laggy it felt. In addition, its not the most robust and sturdy, not something you'd bash about the bush/branches etc with.

Its in the boot of the car now and any spare moment this week I'll be sure to go get aquatinted with it again.

GaryO said:
Nice review undercover :) .
Can u manually change the discrimination or do u have to use the presets ?
Gaz

Thanks Gary,

It has 3 find modes which you can flick through but thats it. Not negotiable basically.

1) Everything (all 4 icons available iron, foils, rings, coins.
2) 3 of the 4 (no iron but the remaining 3)
3) 2 of the 4 (no iron and no foil leaving ring and coins.

The 60 model allows a 4) to eliminate all but coins.

Good to hear you experiences on the Go-find 40, you are correct in it not feeling like the most sturdy detector out there, bit of a trade off for the compactness of the detector I guess, though in the long term it will be interesting to see if they stand up to some abuse.

You really have to drop the sensitivity back a fair bit to get near any play equipment, though lose a fair bit of depth in doing so unfortunately - not really a fan of the square concentric coil. It certainly isn't the deepest detector around, and will often just sound off once rather than repeatable signals on deeper coins, probably better off as a detector for cherry picking shallow modern coins more than anything. In fact I'd go as far as to say my Ace 250 hits on deeper targets more positively, and offers a more expanded discrimination range vs the 4/5 segments on the go-find.

As I have mentioned previously, it is what it is, and that is a cheaper simplified detector for the kids, or for those just starting out to have a bit of fun with or to get acquainted with the hobby. If you want something to grow into as you become more experienced, there are other detectors on the market in a similar price range that offer more flexibility, accuracy and performance.

My Go-find 60 was mainly bought for the car for odd opportunity, though it needs a bit more of a run before I decide whether to place it in the keep/sell basket. :)

Latest posts