under the surface - scuba diving finds

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
after a 'refreshing' dive in 13 degree water this morning - didn't find much ...
I bring you, an empty milk bottle, someone's teeth and hopefully something old.

Nothing like sneaking up on your dive buddy and then thrusting some teeth in front of his mask - I had the Jaws theme in my head as I swam up from behind. He didn't look that thrilled ... gotta smile though... so long as you have teeth ;)

1431924158_willi_18_may_15_or_3_things_i_found_underwater_today.jpg

1431924158_willi_18_may_15_seventeen_rouge.jpg

Pity it wasn't some real teeth with some tasty gold fillings still stuck in them, maybe that set belonged to a gummy shark. I must say those falsies are a bit creepy, they would have freaked me out a bit digging them up. :eek:

yeah I did a double take - and yes I was wondering on the chances of gold in grill.
I've done some nasty jobs so spare teeth don't worry me.

thanks for the info Goldpick - if I could find when the company closed I'd know an end date for the product, but it does look 1940s to me...and could possibly be that old.
Heatho - yes :p
Rocketaroo ... sh*t yeah, I'd be looking for the rest of the skull if I was digging on dry land. Then calling the police after checking the rest of the remains for rings & loose change in the pockets. Just kidding. I'd totally freak.

Robert Le Mal said:
MJB if I knew where the prison hulks had been moored I'd definitely scour that part of the bottom, there'd have to be cool things there. Hobsons Bay is a busy place so it could be a little too exciting without a dive boat on the surface.

And I promise I won't go hitting stuff with a hammer in the water off Fort Gellibrand.

If you inquired at the Maritime Museum and someone else who is a Melbourne maritime history buff, that might give you a few leads.

Hi Sunrise - I might do that if I get a chance, my main concern is that "if" the hulks were where I think they moored then it could be tricky with boat traffic, but something to look into. I plan a lot more diving when the water warms up, I do have a drysuit I got second hand but it's not as easy as working underwater in a wetsuit.

Martin - glad you like them.

Treasureman - well not ancient but looks like a found a George III half penny on dry land, details in the 'CTX Addiction' thread I think.

yes i saw that very impressive. and who knows whats out there. shipwrecks over several centuries.
just read up on the stradebroke island 16th century spanish galleon and you will get the idea of possible past history of australia that hasnt been officially stated.

Having talked with a few nomads from FNQ, there is are quite a number of Spanish wrecks in and around the Torres Straights.

When I get my camper trailer (and if someone wants to donate a nice 4x4 to my 'noble' cause) I'm endeavouring to get up that way and have a go at using local knowledge and a bit of luck to see what can be turned up.

Torres Straight was a very high traffic area fore Spanish, Portuguese and French ships. And lot of them came to grief there.

Just remember to take a big stick to fight the sharks and giant water lizards(read crocodiles) off with, while you are wreck diving up there,... probably why no one knows anything about exactly what's really up there,...could be fr!ck#n bass with laser beams swimming around for all I know. :(

It's only dangerous if one acts like a fool and show no respect to the traditional owners and the situation at hand.

Latest posts