Melbourne beautiful weather fishing

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was supposed to be doing jobs around the house this weekend but after seeing the weather forecast for this weekend and winds variable under 10 knots for Port Phillip Bay I decided the jobs can wait for another weekend.

The good wife, Jack Russell and I launched at Mordialloc Creek at 10am this morning and back in by 3:45pm.
You couldn't ask for better weather conditions for this time of year.
We fished soft plastics and caught a few flatties around the 30cm size so they were returned with the hope of some bigger flatties for dinner, moved closer to the reef at Ricketts Point and drifted over the drop off from 6-10 meters and started getting small pinkies, caught a 35cm and kept it for dinner then this nice 53cm specimen jumped on and had the most enjoyable fight from a fish I'd had for 2 years.
It was my personal best snapper on soft plastics and I'm about to fillet it for the freezer, it's not often I keep any for a feed but this will do for a few meals.
Caught on a Gulp Turtleback in Pumpkin Seed colour and 6lb line.
1431760023_dsc07045.jpg

Heading back out tomorrow and I don't care if we catch or not, today was just a blast and would be hard to top.

Well done PP, decent looking snapper, what! Thanks for making me jealous :lol: though I think the better catch is the wife & the Jack Russell :)

Thanks Blinkie, got back out today and still no decent flatties where we usually find them so moved closer in towards Beaumaris in 6 meters hoping they were taking advantage of the sunshine and bingo, released about 15 smaller ones and kept 6 ranging from 36cm - 45cm.

1431852495_dsc07067.jpg

Great weekend on the bay and a glowing face from the sun to top it off.

Great fish there Pete and tangling with them on 6lb line makes it even more impressive. Those Gulps seem to get a lot of fish undone these days and leaves smelly bait fishing for dead.

Wal.

Thanks Wal, I only used Squidgies when I first started using plastics and it took me years to try the Gulps, now it's rare that I'll use anything else, especially the Turtlebacks, just love fishing them and find it hard to sit and bait fish nowadays.