Minelab SD2100 tips, settings, questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, that's it... If you remove the paint, you'll find they 'minelab' have scratched off all the part numbers also.. they really don't want anyone knocking up copies.

Not sure what the jumpers next to the tune pot are for... I've read something about 'ground reference pulse'... Anyone know?

According to an ele engineer, the black pain contains carbon, which makes the black SD2100 substandard..
carbon interferes with the signal processing or some such...

ohwell MOD TIME!...

hey all,

the young bloke across the road offered me a 2100 minelab today for what i think is pretty cheap, after looking at others on ebay. i dont know anything about the model and everything seems to be in order other than the two gb nobs at the front when turned ....keep turning. i assumed it would have a start and stop point, but they dont you can turn and turn them either way and that doesnt seem right. does anyone else have this model and know if there broken or not? btw it comes with 5 different coils and he wants $350. any help appreciated but i think he wants answer by tommorrow

If the machine works mate thats a good buy. The ground balance knobs will keep turning as thats how they are. My first PI machine and well and truly paid for its self.

cheers goldwright, any suggestions on what i should look for with regards to possible or known faults??

Mate old coils can get noisy from use, so be prepared to buy new coils. Not saying the coils with it will be noisy but something to think about. Turn it on switch the ground balance switch up and down do a ground balance swing a coil over something and if it works sweet. These machines dont have all the timings of the new machines so if you get threshold when you turn the knob your away.

Don't be too concerned when you flick it ON in town and it goes Ape shite' they do that in town, but it will still pick up a large steel object over the warble.

The ground balance control is a 10 turn potentiometer and yes it should stop when it gets to either extreme.
If needed they can still be purchased and replaced, though I don't know if Minelab would be willing to do the repair.

AuMan

The model is a SD2100 - anything released under that model number from 1996.
http://www.minelab.com/products/consumer/product-archive/sd-2100

There was a variant released in 1998 the SD2100e. These are identified by labelling on the machine.
http://www.minelab.com/aus/products/consumer/product-archive/sd-2100e

In 2002 the SD2100v2 was released. This is identified by having a blue control box rather than green & also labelling.
http://www.minelab.com/aus/products/consumer/product-archive/sd2100v2

Hi, been offered an old sd2100 for $1000 with a few coils and wondering if it will make a good first PI machine as i originally planned on getting a new whites spp until offered this minelab

Yes the sd 2100 were a very good detector for that money to start detecting what can you loose, I have had both but I have not used a 2100 for a long time but I think it may be the better way to go if you get the 2100 use a 12v system regulated back to 7.4 v regards john :)

old hand said:
Yes the sd 2100 were a very good detector for that money to start detecting what can you loose, I have had both but I have not used a 2100 for a long time but I think it may be the better way to go if you get the 2100 use a 12v system regulated back to 7.4 v regards john :)

What difference does the 12v system make John? Is it for performance or a weight saving thing?

dazza the 12v acid battery makes it a bit heaver but the standard 2100 ran at 6.6 v battery so using a 12v regulated to 7.4v meant that just a increase in performance .I used a reeds battery and it was good it was lithium plus the voltage out put could be adjusted regards john :)

Latest posts