some blue stones i found any worth anything?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hey there guys i was up in the hills today and i found what looked to be an old abandon mine i think there were old core samples scattered everywhere upon searching around the area i came across a couple of blue rocks i have never seen blue rocks like this before so if anyone of you can help me to identify these rocks it would be great thanks in advance i have been told around the area i was searching it was an old copper mine or gold mine i can put up some close ups if it helps?

could it be arsenic ?? coating on the stones? the rocks do not seem to make the garrett pin pointer scream. i just dont want to bring anything dangerous in the house especially with my young ones

Cheers

Adam

P.S don't mind the little fat fingers lol

1370079319_sam_2617.jpg
1370079387_sam_2619.jpg
1370079466_sam_2620.jpg
1370079567_sam_2621.jpg
1370079620_sam_2622.jpg
1370079712_sam_2626.jpg
1370079817_sam_2627.jpg

blue green one possibly azurite / malachite , green one i was thinking turquoise but there is a few other stones similar to turquoise so i dunnough

google azuraite / malachite images and compare to what you have , then look on ebay for sell prices

The blue and green stuff could also be Copper ore.

No idea what the others are the orange stuff looks pretty speccy though :) looks like it's already been tumbled.

Cheers

Col

Colin&Lee said:

No idea what the others are the orange stuff looks pretty speccy though :) looks like it's already been tumbled.

Cheers

Col

hi there col thanks for the reply
the orange stone was found like that near the bluish green one do you have any idea what it could be ? could the bigger stone be turquoise? it was an old copper mine so if it copper ore its worth nothing? they were in the pile of tilings around everywhere

The green is malachite , the blue is azurite , both common copper ores. I have sold some on eBay before to mineral collectors. It's still possible to find gold around a copper mine, I found nuggets nearby where I was collecting similar samples.

DD

The turquoise colour stone would be chrysocolla, coming from near a copper mine. The red stone would be some sort of agatized material at a guess and a small cluster of quartz crystals in the second last picture.

Azuraite, malachite and chrysocolla are all copper related so make sure your kids do not lick them and wash their hands after handling them and before they handle any food.

They only have value if an exceptional specimen. Bunderberg Mineral and Gem club should be able to help you with a hands on ID of anything you find.

Enjoy your fossicking

Definately malachite the lighter one. Not a bad specimen, if your in the same area and come across one thats a really vivid bright green hang onto it, if its in its crystalline form you mat get a bit for it from a collector as they make good eye catching pieces. Any bright coloured bigger chunks of either malachite or azurite are often used for jewellery pieces when cut and polished so could be some worth there too.

adamaus said:
Colin&Lee said:

Cheers

Col

hi there col thanks for the reply
the orange stone was found like that near the bluish green one do you have any idea what it could be ? could the bigger stone be turquoise? it was an old copper mine so if it copper ore its worth nothing? they were in the pile of tilings around everywhere

you may find gold around copper ore, and a very big possibility of finding platinum
all and all good find, if anything keep the stones for the kids,
my kids always fight over the best rocks for their collection!!! they can have more fun discovering what type of rock it is on the internet

Latest posts