Some finds from Lowmead

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Essendean bridge - think that's the one near Lowmead. Recorded 1mm in the past 24 hours - don't think that'll stop us :)

Hey Lefty, a bit of rain won't stop us either.
It is a little moist down the hill but the ground up near the road was fine the last time we dug there 2 weeks ago.

Yeah, I found another rain recording site - Mimdale - that looks to be within 5-6km of the dig site (must be a property that records rainfall for the Bureau of Meteorology) - also has recorded a grand total of 1mm. I reckon it'll only be the top few inches that are moist.

See you there.

Hmm - another 8mm at Mimdale. Could be a tad wet. Then again, it depends how dry that sandy ground was before hand a metre down. I'm going anyway.

Well I've finished my first stone from Lowmead (piccies later) - the amethyst cuts beautifully :)

I can now see that many of the crystals I thought were useless due to cracks will in fact yield a small stone. I don't think there's too many big stones to be cut from what comes for the dig site but I think if you facet, you will be able to cut some very pretty little stones.

Good work Jason. I have a few that I think would cut a fair stone.

But just to be on the safe side I'm heading out on Sunday to make sure there isn't a better one waiting for me :p

Good idea mate! :lol:

Actually I might see you there if it's Sunday - Saturday is our anniversery, if I went chasing rocks on that day I would be a single man pretty quickly I think :D

Bloody perfect digging weather tho!

1431331348_dieters_amethyst.jpg

Check out my brothers Lowmead Amethyst brag shelf.

He's starting to build up a collection there :) That smokey crystal in the foreground was one that he found on your first trip there isn't it?

Lefty said:
He's starting to build up a collection there :) That smokey crystal in the foreground was one that he found on your first trip there isn't it?

It certainly was, and in the hole I had been digging in earlier that day.

Hey fellas,
Finally got a chance to go up & check out lowmead today, put in a solid day and came back with a small handful of colour. Bare with migh & I will work out this forum/photo stuff.
The site seems well worked over but managed to expand an existing hole and found a small patch of virgin ground that produce all the colour found today.
Hopefully will catch up with some of you in the field... cheers.

Hi Ben,good to hear you found some Amethyst.
I've found the best way to add photos if you took them with your phone camera is to get an app that can reduce the photo size down and then import that to your computer.

Gday Ben - yes, the site is well worked over but not yet worked out. Glad you found some colour! There is a range of colour shades at the spot, I quite like the one that is a kind of smokey purple but I've seen everything from the faintest tint of purple in a clear crystal, to bright mid-purple, to almost pink, to smokey purple to a deep clear purple.

And they do facet very nicely.

1432715658_image.jpg

You might say your thread has got me a tad inspired. After looking at on of Lefty's photos, I decided to have a go at whipping up a throw sieve today. No doubt it will need modifications but has got to be faster to work the overburden. Thanks KTMan, I have a re-sizer program that would do the trick hopefully get a few shots up later.

Looks good Ben. I really should whip myself up something like this.
At the moment I use 4 seives and 3 helpers to use them :) Wife and kids love to find what I leave in the seives for them :)

ktmman said:
Looks good Ben. I really should whip myself up something like this.
At the moment I use 4 seives and 3 helpers to use them :) Wife and kids love to find what I leave in the seives for them :)

Yeah, one of my daughters wants in on the next trip, good to have helpers..

The sieve cost me about $85 all up & about 3hrs to knock it up..will let you know how it goes.. Now...lets try these pics.
1432718929_img_4887_small.jpg

A wide but thin crystal
1432718929_img_4900_small.jpg

My 1st from the site... what a way to start
1432718929_img_4909_small.jpg

Most of the better crystals n bits.

Wow, you did well mate.
I might be heading up on Sunday,one of my mates is keen to get back to the hole he left last time he was there.
I'm hoping to find a bit more of the purple to go with the smokeys this time.

Thanks ktmman. My daughter has to work then so I will most likely go up friday when she has a day off & I am on an RDO ;). I bash around in an old red forester so if you see it, give me a yell.
Best of luck

Latest posts