Commander 10"x5"DD vs commander 8" mono

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Hey everyone just back from a mornings detecting just wanted to shed a little light on these two coils,
On the 10"x5" commander a .1 gram nugget can only be detected on the surface
With the 8" mono it will detect the .1 gram no deeper than 1"
Iv played with setting a few times now in differnt ground and that's what I have found
Both coils used on a gp3000
Hopefully someone can give some info on later models would be great
I would have hoped for a little more depth as my whites GMT can pick this nugget up 2.5" deep in the same ground
At 1/3 of the price/detector

How does the DD fare in mono mode (enhance I think it is on the GP3000)

I've been thinking of getting the DD10x5 to try and cope with the superhot ground up around hanging rock/nundle the 5000 is so noisy with a coiltek 10x5 mono on in some parts of the forest.

BTW I found a 0.09g piece with my 5000 and the coiltek 10x5 mono doesn't get a signal at more than an inch so I'd say the 3000 is going alright to be getting that with the 8" round.

Good news about the 3000 performance iv got to ground balance a lot with mono tho so I fit a tracking button to make things a bit quicker.
I think the 10"x5" commander is great so great iv sold my 11"dd
Not bad depth and very good sensitivity
I will have this coil with me tomorrow if you want a rough depth test on a ounce
In med to high mineralization?
I tried the same .1 gram in mono on the 10"x5" commander it didn't seem to make much difference maybe a little sharper signal.

Yeah that woud be great. Are you working over the old deep lead/basalt cap ground or a different ground?

The ground out this way I regard as high mineralisation. It is primarily a decomposed dolerite/ultramafic basalt cap. Soils along the whole fault have a that typical red colour.

Didn't get a chance this morning ran out of time
I'll be back out this Tuesday .

Like i said a rough test I havnt spent a lot of time out in open ground mainly tailing piles
The ground around here most class as some of the highest mineralization in victoria
But I don't have a problem with it as iv been over a lot with VLF and that was a battle.
I'd have to say the 10x5 commander is very similar to the 11" DD but more sensitive

I used to live at Armidale so iv got an idea of what sort of ground you referring too.

This morning I made time to do a rough test on the two coils the 8" mono will detect a ounce nugget laying flat at 13" in very rich clay ground, on its side 11". No one would miss this signal response.
The 10x5 commander will detect the same target in the same ground with the same settings other than in DD mode about 3" shorter on both tests but pin points the target a lot better.
On a 22 bullet the 8"mono wins no doubt! good strong signal at 8".
The 10x5 commander only gets a whisper on the gp3000 most ppl would miss.
The 10"x5" DD looses the target within a 1-2" but the 8" mono still let's you know something is there 3-4" above a strong response.
Hope this helps anyone looking to buy a small coil I'm very happy with the 8" commander mono and I know that a lot would be.

thanks for all the tests, it is great information, i am looking for a DD coil and was thinking of the commander 10x5, as i don't have DD in my kit?

or should i go for something like the 11" dd commander.

something thats a mid ranger for target size and depth?

thanks
mike