GPX 4500 with B Z Boster test

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You've lost me mate. Why doesn't he just buy one and keep it for every time he comes down? He must loose money every time he buys and sells one?

SCROUNGER said:
You've lost me mate. Why doesn't he just buy one and keep it for every time he comes down? He must loose money every time he buys and sells one?

This guy is a pro.

He find his fair share of gold. He offloads it
due to the large cost of buying a new gpx.

The last one he bought though cost him $4500
new And he has kept that one Due to the lower
Price and he won't be able to buy a new one
At that price.

He got that one cheap because there was
A package deal with the 2300 which was
Sold on.

GOlddigg@ that look like a old minelab 11 coil if you can compare a 11 inch commander coil to it you will find that the com coil runs quieter and is more stable you can run a higher gain 14 coils are on the way regards john :)

AuMan said:
Thanks guys, I had it running in fine gold, gain up about 18, stabiliser around 6, deep, threshold just on edge, fixed. Search mode does not matter, as this just saves the settings you set in it such as tone and a few other settings. It should be labelled saved settings, 1, 2 & 3. Volume set so I can hear the threshold base tone. Not sure where the target volume is set but the volume is set so I can hear the tone and any minor variations in it and so it doesn't blow my head off when I go over a big target!
The machine does run quite well and yes I always use test bits, I like to set up to get best response, then back settings off to suit emi and ground conditions.
I have also tried with manual tune at either extreme and in between.
Tried quiet audio, normal audio, boost(too noisy in boost). Tried DD and mono, I couldn't see any difference in either.
I also tried backing off the stabiliser to higher numbers and adjusting the gain so the detector still ran well.
Golddigg@, what do you mean by "front full left"?

Wolf, that would be great if you can do that.

Anyway, thanks again for the replys, it's really got me thinking that it needs to go for a trip back to ML for some TLC. It gets one more chance, will do a factory reset next time I'm out and start fresh and if I don't get any joy out of it, in the post it goes. And yes I have found gold with it, just not much!

AuMan

hey mate search mode is relevant to the settings yes, so i'm running custom then deep like you are, to me 18 gain is too high but we dont have fine gold on the 4500 enhanced is what i run all the time. remember too much gain can swamp a signal as well its a fine balance. **i'm no professional just my personal experience*

re full left that's the switches on the front mate :) bang em straight to the left all left when looking at the face.

when i was looking at buying a new detector i had quite a few lengthily discussions with local prospectors who support themselves 100% with prospecting there was one consistent theme amongst them. that is that the 5000 got pumped out at a phenomenal rate and quality control was poor. every bloke i spoke to had bought a 5000 at some stage or 2 or 3 but had held onto or repurchased a 4500.

The late 4500's were produced with a lot of control due to a large shipment of 4500s being stolen. You would think the opposite but minelab didn't want to send out any rushed units after making people wait longer form a stolen shipment. that's the story anyway.

The 4500 seemed to run more quiet under powerlines than the 5000's as well this ive seen personally so you have to wonder why? in theory the 5000 should be heaps better so a tunup should do the trick in most cases i would think. but possibly your atmospherics dont allow the same level of quietness that mine do.

I got this 4500 and the first thing i noticed after potting an 18 " goldstaker was that i couldn't hear a 1 gram piece very well.... shock horror so i did some research and some tests and found that the aluminum shaft was casing ground balance to balance out sharp signals. for about $185 i got a composit shaft from gold city http://www.goldcitydetecting.com/shafts.htm what a difference it made.

It shouldn't make a difference with the smaller coils but did with the larger. maybe there's some advantage there to be gained with yours? try removing the lower shaft and keeping the detector at distance and see if you can improve sharpness mate.

either way you are making me feel very confident in the 4500's abilities :)

re full l

old hand said:
GOlddigg@ that look like a old minelab 11 coil if you can compare a 11 inch commander coil to it you will find that the com coil runs quieter and is more stable you can run a higher gain 14 coils are on the way regards john :)

hey mate thanks for the advice, i agree 14" is a good all rounder I dont swing this coil alot but found a nice piece last week with it.
it sure is an oldie...serial number is 00029 :) but it runs really well. The minelab coil is a commander coil mate :) always has been to my knowledge, correct me if I'm wrong .....

To be honest mate i spent most of my first few months swinging the 8" commander mono to learn the settings and found it to be amazing. I have a 14 dd coiltek and 18 x 12 goldstalker that i'm learning to use but it picks up a lot of emi. I will most likely grab the new coiltek elite 14 mono after ive got this house move out of the way.

Teemore is lending me his 12 x 7 NF this friday as ive been putting off buying a NF for the new model due in 6 weeks.

I am confident in the 5000.

There were i think issues with the early 4500
As well.

To be honest I hired a 4500 from coiltek and
That machine run a very very smooth stable
threshold.

Ismael Jones uses a 5000, andy at coiltek for
A long time used one until the new machine
Came out, My friend uses one and then you
have Paul that uses one.

The other thing though a target in ground is
Different due to the halo effect so the key here
Is to swing it slow.

You can switch off a setting on the 5000 and it
Then becomes a 4500.

good mate you need to be confident in your machine :) ive used alot of awesome 5000's over the last 2 years i'm throwing ideas up as there seems to be an issue with Aumans 5000.

I can put my .1g piece on the ground anywhere in red earth around the triangle to tune the detector if small gold is what I'm after. How dId you go with the 0.03 gram piece mate? any luck or bit hard in the city to test...

G0lddigg@ said:
good mate you need to be confident in your machine :) ive used alot of awesome 5000's over the last 2 years i'm throwing ideas up as there seems to be an issue with Aumans 5000.

I can put my .1g piece on the ground anywhere in red earth around the triangle to tune the detector if small gold is what I'm after. How dId you go with the 0.03 gram piece mate? any luck or bit hard in the city to test...

I actaully went to test it last night in the cold and dark.

The machine was not stable enough for a very small
Nugget to test.

Spoke with Paul and he told me ground detecting is
What matters then he showed me a photo of a .03
Grammer he found.

Worse case you could always sell it and buy another
Though if this was the case i would want to test the
Machine before buying it.

With the gain setting the way i understand it is the
Smaller the coil and the higher the gain and visa
Versa.

I wonder how old Aumans 5000 is though. The
Warranty on mine experies i think next year
Then it has an extra 2 years ontop as part
Of the extended warranty.

AuMan said:
Hi Golddigg@, Just wondering what timing, gain etc you are using in your tests. Would be interested to know as I can't get my 5k to pick up a 0.03 bit at all with either the 11" mono or NF sadie. It has me a bit puzzled.
I'd be holding on to that 4500 if I were you!

Cheers!

AuMan

No two 0.03 bits are alike.

PhaseTech said:
AuMan said:
Hi Golddigg@, Just wondering what timing, gain etc you are using in your tests. Would be interested to know as I can't get my 5k to pick up a 0.03 bit at all with either the 11" mono or NF sadie. It has me a bit puzzled.

Cheers!

AuMan

so true.... i use a flat 0.03 piece for these tests, the .1 is round the .16 is less responsive than the .1 :)

1430959067_20150507_103639.jpg

Thanks for the vid golddig. Great to see it in action. Seems to make the signal more distinct and crisp.

G0lddigg@ said:
PhaseTech said:
AuMan said:

Cheers!

AuMan

so true.... i use a flat 0.03 piece for these tests, the .1 is round the .16 is less responsive than the .1 :)

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/357/1430959067_20150507_103639.jpg

Thanks for sharing.

Tom is a great guy. I met him once.

Would be awesome if you can take another
Photo with a pen tip for size comparisons.

I just flattened my as much as i could.

Just waiting for the thermochef to arrive today
So i might go for a drive tomm and test it.

no worries mate, dont know how much it helps... i use fat pens cos i have fat fingers lol maybe a head on a AAA battery is better comparison.... its basically a small lump with a wafer thin tail like a tadpole.

1430963610_flat.jpg

1430963876_flat_head.jpg

Thanks Nenad and Golddigg@, I think this explains it in this case. The one you have used is very flat and has a good surface area, whereas the ones I have are very round little balls. Might have to deface one and see if that makes an improvement. I guess my expectations might have been too high for the 5k and fine gold. When I get a chance I will test my machine against a friends 5000 and see if the results are consistent.

Anyway, to keep on topic, looks like the booster does a nice job, thanks Golddigg@ for taking the time to do the tests and for sharing the results.

AuMan

Latest posts