Treasure Snoop Metal Detector

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ben78 said:
Hold the pinpoint button and whilst pumping the coil turn the GB knob until it is quiet.

Thanks Ben, I lost the instruction leaflet that came with it and just could not get it to GB. Thanks again.

Stew

It wasn't in the instructions, just figured it out. Its a decent machine for a cheapy, I've found a fair bit with mine.

Wow you would think that they wouldn't leave something as important as how to ground balance the machine out of the instructions would you. But I surpose that's the Chinese for ya.

stewart said:
Wow you would think that they wouldn't leave something as important as how to ground balance the machine out of the instructions would you. But I surpose that's the Chinese for ya.

C'mon, they can't even get the frequency right for a 'gold' detector, never mind putting a threshold setting ability on it. Its a pity, this thing with 16-20khz and a adjustable threshold would be a decent little gold machine... Ah well, can't have everything in a $80 machine

Thanks for these posts. I am new to prospecting and my first machine is the GC-1038 (Jack Lange Special version). I've been in the dark about how to GB and so on. But I contacted Jack Lange and he sent me a good little e-booklet which was much more informative than the manufacturer's booklet. I didn't know you have to hold down the pinpoint button. I'll give that a try. Thanks for the tip.

My GC 1038 arrived today, $80 delivered via E-Bay... can't argue with the price if you're low on disposable income aka skint.

Never having touched a metal detector in my life, I found putting the GC 1038 together/finding my feet with the controls pretty easy. I put examples of all current coins on my brick floor as well as a nail, washer, bolt and beer bottle top and used them to figure the thing out.

The detector picked up each coin/target with a very clear beep as it passed each target on ALL METAL and was quiet at all other times. A small fiddle with the discrimination made the trash disappear, but not the bottle top, it lost also the 5c coin which was no big deal.

Up at my dam I found a small very nice teaspoon, stainless steel made in Japan, cleaned up very nice indeed and is good testimony to the quality of Japanese steel... maybe a Samurai spoon :lol: , as well as the Ninja Samurai teaspoon I found a fairly modern horse riding medal, 2 or 3 bottle tops, a modern toy car and even a bonnet from another toy car, time was limited but long enough to let me say the detector looks like being very good as a coin finder... I put a $1 coin under a big chunk of soil about 4/5" thick and it found it, was very quiet at all times between hits.

As a beginner, I can't compare it to anything else, so sorry for the limited review, I post it to encourage others in the same boat as me (kids eat my money) to have a purchase fairly cheap that at least you know works. The shaft length is very easily adjusted, so is great for letting the kids have a go at the correct length for them in no time at all.

Thanks to Ben78 for recommending it here on the forums :cool:
C

work it out and get it working,.... that's the way Colin, once you under stand your machine and its responses to different targets you will be well and truly off on the adventure.

Thanks guys, it's an addiction isn't it? Fantastic feeling when you hear that "ping" 8)
C

Wife and I have one and it does ok on the coins in the parks here . But I am going to upgrade when I can afford it , to something that has better discrimination . As you say though , for the money , at least it gets you out there having fun :)

Gee Wiz Colin, a detector with ground balance and discrim for 80 bucks you can't go wrong. You'll have it paid off in no time. All of us fall into the more expensive the better trap from time to time. There's some real gems out there in the cheaper end of things. Looks like you got one.. Happy hunting.

My first MD. I have always panned but out of curiosity I bought myself a Treasure Snoop. But have been told its crap.
Any advice as operating instructions are extremely brief
Thanks

Yeah it sure is the same, I just had a look and there really is no difference at all. It will struggle with depth on soft sand beaches but is excellent for parks and any area that targets can't sink too deep.

If you need a hand with settings just post back in here and I'll let you know the ones I use. It's pretty basic and I only change settings a tiny amount.

It's really not a crap detector, it does quite a decent job to be hones and is a great introductory unit.

Heatho said:
Yeah it sure is the same, I just had a look and there really is no difference at all. It will struggle with depth on soft sand beaches but is excellent for parks and any area that targets can't sink too deep.

If you need a hand with settings just post back in here and I'll let you know the ones I use. It's pretty basic and I only change settings a tiny amount.

It's really not a crap detector, it does quite a decent job to be hones and is a great introductory unit.

I would love some help with settings.
I think for the area I'm searching (yarra valley), I may need something better.
I purchased to hunt for gold not treasure hunt. This may be why I was told it was crap, as I probably need good depth in my area

Thanks guys :D

No worries Kathy, yeah not the best for gold detecting, though if you got it over a decent nugget you'd ping it for sure, all metal mode would be best for that.

Will post up the settings I use a bit later tonight, gotta go cook a barbq now before I get in trouble.......... :)

You will just need to chase a few of these

1435999557_image.jpg

They are a great entry level coin shooting rig but you might need to add a couple of zeros to chase small nuggets.

Latest posts