Where can I start looking for nuggets not far from Sydney

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys I'm a paramedic and want to just have fun with the kids and relax from work, new to this don't know where to start like what area?
Just a few areas would be good if anyone can help to have a go over a weekend trip

Medic

Hey Medic welcome. I would start with a real holiday at a place called Turon Gates, whether u camp it or cabin it, kids will love it and is in prime gold country 2.5 hrs from Sydney. That's where I would start.....if you love that spot you will be hooked for life and will be able to handle some of the rougher places. Can even drive from there to Sofala if u have a map. 4WD only, even though a VC commodore has done the trip lol. Lots of spots to detect if u don't like panning.

A weekender to remember...esp if u get a cabin! Not inexpensive, even camping prices are very high. But its like a resort in the middle of the Aussie bush and so close to Sydney. Ive also nailed a few nice trout there in spots u would never think a fish can exist!

Went to detect an exposed area where a pipe had been laid near a cabin.....and the manager told me two blokes came by that yesterday for a few grams in nuggets.

Hi Medic, Hillend is a good place to have a pan for gold/detect with the kids. Nice historical buildings and lots of history, great scenery and wildlife. The Royal hotel is warm in winter and serves great pub meals. You can camp or stay in a motel. google it. The Natural Arch is a good short walk and worth a look.

Black Springs or Porters retreat near Oberon are good spot for sapphires. Porters Retreat has the better quality sapphires. You probably need to go when other members / fossicking clubs/facebook prospecting groups are doing a trip there so you can know where to go and how deep to dig etc. Most creeks in the area also have gold. Sieves, pans shovels buckets etc needed. You can find some smokey quartz crystals on nearly all the pine forest roads within 1 kilometre of the blue Hill quarry about 6 km out of Oberon on the shooters Hill road.

Disclaimer: The weather in Oberon and Hill End can be harsh in winter...maybe not enjoyable for panning in freezing water.
RDD

RDD has some great spots there....I've stayed at Hill End Pub and its like stepping back in time, have only camped down at the Bridle Track but been told the designated camp spots near town are ok. Have stayed at the Gaol at Sofala....great museum stuff on the walls there. Coles Bridge at Turondale is great but more suited to hardened campers....but its a quick drive from a nice Bathurst Pub.....Camping at Tuena is great.....general store for all of your needs.

I guess a lot depends on how you plan on sleeping on that Sat night.......I think u have plenty of suggestions now. :lol: :lol:

I don't have any spots to add... That's well covered above ... I just want to mention fossicking with kids....!
I have 3 boys and have tried detecting, panning and looking for Sapphires with them.
They have had the BEST time when looking for Sapphires and panning... As did I ... Didn't find anything but the boys had so much fun basically playing in a creek on a hot day.... They panned for about 10 mins then just mucked around!!!
Recently visited Oberon and you can hire all the seives etc for Sapphires from the tourist information office $15 for a day.
They have enjoyed detecting but .... It requires patience and good technique... Which my kids don't have!!! They really enjoy it on the beach tho even looking around old campfires for bottle tops??!??
We always have fun but with kids around its a slightly different activity?

Latest posts