A war Medal?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danmuss

Danny
Reaction score
1414735622_img_4392.jpg

Found this war medal down a beach - Found it to be a Georges Cross - Australian service 1939-1945

Not sure if it has been modified or worn away - as under the crown the rest of the markings are all missing.

If this belonged to someones great Grandpa id loved to return it but very hard to locate owner

Nice find D. it obviously had sentimental value as it was worn as a necklace. the rubbing on the skin and acidity from sweat have worn it down somewhat. bit of a shame.

slipped disc said:
Nice find D. it obviously had sentimental value as it was worn as a necklace. the rubbing on the skin and acidity from sweat have worn it down somewhat. bit of a shame.

You could be right, I was thinking with it being as a necklace chances are some Guy gave it to his grandson as a gift, The sentimental value is worth more to someone than it is to me keeping it, I always keep things i find in my car incase i ever get asked one night im out searching on that certain beach, always happy to hand back, :D

Im not sure how to go about it( because i dont do it ) , but maybe a mention on facebook, its surprising how word can get around

WW2 campaign star, came in various forms, Africa Star, Pacific Star, France & Germany, Italy Star etc.
Australian issues were impressed on the back name and service number... UK issues were blank on the reverse.
Would love to find one
C

I thought the same, looks like someone ground it down, polished it, then wore it before losing it :(
C

Im thinking it was ground down to enscribe something else on it. Unless thats 70 years of sand wear from the ups downs of ttides rough seas etc.
But then the chain itself would be non existent.

Latest posts