Advice on best Coin Detector.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm after a good quality used coin detector, I'm open to make, however it must have a good discriminator and have a quick target/signal recovery time.

It will be only be used on coins as I have a PI for the goldfields.

Drop me a PM here and I will get back to you asap,

Jim & Kerrie

Hi ya all, I mainly search for the yellow stuff but am keen to do some coin hunting also
Have an eureka gold detector which really doesn't handle the mineraliastion in the goldfields and am thinking of trading it in or selling for a coin only detector
I see a lot have LCD displays and target Identification which must help a lot but which one do you think can discriminate the junk out the best so you are only digging good targets?
Any advice appreciated, guess cost comes into it also so am thinking around $500 to $1,000 for a new detector
Cheers

In that price range I would buy a Fisher Gold Bug Pro or a Garrett AT Gold - both have true all metal mode so can be used in those parts of the goldfields that the big gun 5000's struggle on account of the trash. Both are proven gold finding VLFs and both are proven to work very well in trash laden park. If you jump onto the Dankowski detecting forum - which is a often very technical and hardcore detectorist type forum you'll find that the Gold Bugs are often applauded for their ability to pull coins out of nail infested 18th century cellar holes and other difficult locations.

Just my thoughts anyway...

I av a At gold an I think it's a great machine for coins and relics, but before you buy do a little research there is heaps of different types of detectors out there, and every one will av there own view on which1 is the best. You tube is a great way to see different types of detectors bn used in the field. Any way hope that I've helped out a bit!

Buying detectors can be a real pain sometimes, what one person will suggest, may well turn out to be a hand full to operate for someone else, on the other hand, another suggestion may only work in limited areas, or not have all the required features that you would expect.

On one side of the spectrum, you have people that prefer digital readouts, multiple tones and VDI numbers, whilst on the other hand, some prefer beep and dig detectors with decent discrimination capabilities. I seem to fall in the latter category after trying a few detectors out, I find some detectors are simply an information overload, when all I really need is the capability to listen to a particular signal response, combined with good discrimination to decide whether I dig or not. Part of the reasoning behing this is the fact that I do a lot of night detecting, and I can't be assed to check the screen every time I locate a target. Bit like comparing a Minelab x-terra 705 with all the bells and whistles to say the Tesoro range of detectors with basic ground balancing and discrimination controls

Sometimes it can be a decision made only after trying out a few detectors to find find out what is right for you in the long run. You only have to scour the forum to realise that the variety of detector ownership is greatly varied, with pretty much no machine that fits the bill of a perfect jack of all trades detector, nor perfect all round coin machine. (ctx3030 may come close, and has price to match)

It will also depend on where you want to use the detector. A VLF detector with multiple frequencies would be preferable for dealing with the salty or mineralised conditions (Sovereign, Excalibur, Fisher CZ-3D or CZ-5). I too am looking at doing the same, and the last 4 mentioned detectors are on my shortlist so far, plus will be buying second hand. The requirement for multiple frequencies cuts the list down by a fair bit, those four detectors are affordable for me, whilst detectors like the explorer, e-trac and ctx3030 are still well out of my price, even second hand.

Unfortunately, the Eureka seems to be a bit lacklustre in the goldfields for some reason, with finds few and far between, the Whites GMT and Fisher Goldbug 2 seem to have more success with regular finds. Hence why I have diverted my energy to coin and jewellery detector, with much better prospects of finding something of worth. You really need PI detector these days in the goldfields to increase your chances of more regular finds, plus be able to justify the substantial initial purchase price and the pricey coils to go with them. Overall, for my budget (under $1000), the Minelab Sovereign Elite seems to tick most boxes for an all round, mutliple frequency coin/relic detector. Ask someone else and you will most likely get a different answer based on requirements, previous experiences, and areas likely to be detected in. :)

Hey fella i didn't make it up to the spot you mentioned the other day yet, i did wonder how the eureka would go, could put it up side by side and see. I have a couple of suggestions for you I'll send through a pm, but it's not a bad budget to get a half decent shooter. You didn't happen to catch some of the info on the net about the eureka, i can't remember if it was this forum our another had a guy with some super tips on the machine that opened up it's capabilities. I'll try and shoot that pm of in the morn. Cheers mate.

Was that the advice regarding using the WOT coil, and listening for signal dropouts, faint shifts in the threshold, and setting the threshold above the usual recommended "mosquito buzz" threshold level? :)

Looking at getting a detector for coins. My picks are between the safari, mxt all pro and the at pro. Any one used these machines and there pros and cons. Have checked reviews etc just want advice

I've only used Minelab but as silver suggested, the ace250, can't go wrong with it. I'd suggest the X-Terra series, 705 if you have the money.

I've had an At Pro for 2 years. Great coin machine. I bought a 5x8 coil for trashy areas and have never taken it off. I find it doesn't handle the salt water very well. Look around and you will get different opinions on that. I think it is a good detector for a coin hunter. I would like it to have a back light and volume control.

Good luck

I would go with the MXT All Pro and then the Garrett AT Pro, And The Fisher F75, All the others are useless, and all 3 of these machines can be used for prospecting if you get the urge,

Hi Everyone

I'm wanting a detector that can find me more COINS and help me dig less Rubbish!!! i know some detectors have had a lot of people do a lot of testing by using different settings and using the numbers on their machines to help identify with quite a lot of success of what there machine is detecting in the ground.. I'm wanting what everyone wants a great accurate detector..Please help give me as much helpful info as possible as this info help us all to make an informed decision on what coin detector to buy...

Thanks everyone for your input

I believe a better machine is in its way, that will be able to do this, there was a thread on it earlier this week. For now, I reckon its buy the most expensive machine you can afford, and train your ear. Nothing comes close, to replicating the advantage, that experience can give you.

Hey mate couple of things after scrolling through some of your other posts...
Budget? The advice above is very helpful but to get a decent response this info will help.

Where do you intend to detect?

Have you seen something you are interested in? Almost all the coin shooters here use or have used a wide variety of machines, there's pros and cons with all of them.

Dedicate your time to good ground, I get some really hard places to detect sometimes and even with a better than average machine I struggle, changing up coil size and discrimination can help alot when faced with adverse detecting. That said there's many great places that are a treasure trove, and if you're lucky enough to be the first at good depth it will leave a big fat smile on your face.
The bigger the budget, the more time spent learning and better the spots you find equal a better return. I paid mine off in decimals 3 times over before I stopped counting. That return would have allowed me to buy it new outright. Time spent becoming a good detectorist will outweigh a better machine, good equipment like a pin pointer and digging tool makes you faster and more accurate making up time to find better targets. Also I spend as much if not more time digging junk as when I first got mine because I like to pick the eyes out of a place before moving on. When I return it's just surface junk and goodies to move through!

You can also fast track a little by getting the targets your looking for lined up and measured against your machines response if you have tone/id to guide you, I can get out and smack every gold coin in a park just by id if I'm time poor and/or large park, very helpful when I'm cruising through a place and spot a juicy locale. The last drive through place I picked up $43 from two parks in less than half hour cherry picking. That time is so quick because of the lesche and pro point and retrieval practice coupled with solid machine id.

Take a look around at some of the coin shooting threads and put the thinking cap on. Cheers.

Once you have intimate knowledge and experience on any given detector, you will dig less junk and get more decent finds. Some people buy a mid range detector, dig lots of junk in a short span of time, then get fed up and upgrade to an even more expensive detector, and still dig junk. Sometimes you have to dig questionable targets, there's just no way around it. If you don't, you will leave good finds in the ground. If there were the perfect detector for discriminating out every bit of junk and with 100% accurate ID's, we'd all be using it. ;)

Hi guys, all my detecting experience has been on the gold feilds. I have recently sold my 4500 and itching to get out for a swing have decided maby a coin detector for the parks may be the answer.
I have some spots that may be a good chance at coins both pre and post decimal plus jewlery and also lots of junk.
Any suggestions for something with good target ID? Dont know what budget but around 4 to 5 hundred?? Maby a bit more if something out there is good at telling me whats under the coil.

Yeah mate the X-Terra 705 is a good detector for around $599 on special at anaconda, if you become a member you get a discount plus another discount for your first purchase, well that is how it used to be and I believe it still is that way.
I have the X-Terra 505 and 705 and both have served me well, very easy to use and set it,you still dig up junk but for the price it doesn't matter as it will pay for itself in no time. :)

Hi Lord, I to have sold my 4500 and bought a X-terra 705 I find it a easy machine to use and have found plenty of info on the X-terra on this forum. There are heaps of video's on YouTube on how to set up machine for beach and park detecting, good luck. :Y:

Cheers
Kev

Latest posts