Minelab GPZ7000 information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm, with mbasko, if too inclement a fire and a glass or port for me.
LC, living where you do, you can detect all year round within a 20 minute drive, surely a wet day in Bendigo's climate would be easy to avoid.

8) 8) Metal detecting and fishing are both hobbies that I enjoy dont do either when weather is against me but I do enjoy a couple of ales when this happens

Its ok during the hotter months but bugger if I'd be out during winter in vic getting soggy ,, detector maybe waterproof but im not ,,

With all this wild storms,
The beach is looking a might doozy for detecting on.

As soon as the rain n wind stops a bit.

Question: Would this approach, and in particular the Initial Ground Balance 'Walk and Sweep' procedure, also be the best way to set up SDC2300?

mdv said:
Question: Would this approach, and in particular the Initial Ground Balance 'Walk and Sweep' procedure, also be the best way to set up SDC2300?
According to the manual the best way is to do a quick track by holding the quick track button in & pumping the coil on start up.
I haven't done this for months now. I have been letting the AGT (auto ground tracking) do its thing from start up without using the quick track button unless there has been "noise" there straight away then I'll do an auto tune & the quick track process but 9/10 times now I just switch on & start detecting. Don't know if it's recommended or better on the SDC but it works for me. In practice it is the same or very similar to JP's "walk & sweep" process?
Like JP on the GPZ I now find I don't use the quick track button on the SDC much at all now rather relying on or letting the AGT do its job, which I reckon does it well.
I only occasionally use the quick track button now & briefly when I do have to. It was a habit rather than a necessity after being used to running in fixed & ground balancing regularly on previous machines.

mbasko said:
... According to the manual the best way is to do a quick track by holding the quick track button in & pumping the coil on start up. ...

This is why I asked the question for SDC2300. If compelled to use the Quick Track feature, should I use 'walk & sweep' [as suggested by JP for GPZ7000] or should I 'pump'??

In practice, I rarely use Quick Track, and then only on start-up.

I would continue to pump the coil which is how all PI's are quick or manually ground balanced. Can't hurt to try it though?
To the best of my knowledge the idea/requirement to do the initial quick ground balance by sweeping came with the new ZVT technology in the GPZ. This is due to the calibration requirements of the GPZ which calibrates other functions (according to Bruce Candy paper) not just the ground balance.
It appears to me that the GPZ requires a much broader range of different ground readings to calibrate optimally versus the PI machines that just require the pumping & re-balance as necessary?

SDC is very much like the GPX, where a fast balance before searching is all that's required, using the coil pumping method.
You should still press the green quick track occassionally, even if it appears to be balanced - same as on the GPXs.

Interesting read.
Most likely due to the 'blade' type search field/pattern of the Zed's DoD (Super D) coils that require the sweeping style GB. Not much coverage or ground averaging if you pump a blade shaped search pattern up and down in one spot. Wonder if it's worth a shot on the GP/GPX's when using a DD?

Cheers,
Shauno

Un-f*****g-believable!

A GPZ7000 is worth over ten thousand and it isn't waterproof?

I must be the only fool on the entire forum. When someone outlays this kind of cash and the machine isn't waterproof...something is wrong somewhere along the line. Back in the 1930s they were getting around waterproofing problems with electrical devices.

This glaring anomaly (lack of water-proofing) tells me at least, their R & D on that score is sorely lacking. There's a lot of broo-ha-ha, but the results certainly don't match the hype or the outlay.

But then I guess I suffer from envy. If I had a decent machine I'd have racked up a few finds and probably would go out and buy something like that. However, at the moment I'm using dowsing and Radiesthesia methods and am having some 'interesting' results.

SunriseBoy said:
Un-f*****g-believable!

A GPZ7000 is worth over ten thousand and it isn't waterproof?

I must be the only fool on the entire forum. When someone outlays this kind of cash and the machine isn't waterproof...something is wrong somewhere along the line. Back in the 1930s they were getting around waterproofing problems with electrical devices.

This glaring anomaly (lack of water-proofing) tells me at least, their R & D on that score is sorely lacking. There's a lot of broo-ha-ha, but the results certainly don't match the hype or the outlay.

But then I guess I suffer from envy. If I had a decent machine I'd have racked up a few finds and probably would go out and buy something like that. However, at the moment I'm using dowsing and Radiesthesia methods and am having some 'interesting' results.

You sound like the bloke with the "wanted gpz7000" ads on gumtree