Setec BM Pro install & Issue

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
condor22 said:
The BM PRO APP Requires Android 2.3.3 and up

Thanks fellas, this was checked by the Setec "nerd" and mine is 4.1.2 so well within the spec zone. The upgrade available to mine is just a minor upgrade and doesn't involve a blue-tooth mod, so I am not in a rush to change it, until Setec come back to me with their recommendation.

Rob.

Pablo

I may have an alternative for you.

I have 2 BM PROs and although I can use the same app for both batteries on my phone, I wanted to be able to video what the one is doing in the van whilst driving and the 3 way fridge is on. I didn't want to leave my phone in the van so I looked around for a cheap Android Tab that had blue tooth.

So I bought this from Target for $89, put the app on and it works great.

http://www.target.com.au/p/pendo-pad-7-8gb-quad-core-tablet/56446982

Make sure you get the Quad core as it has Blue Tooth, the duel core doesn't.

It has WiFi as well and doesn't need a sim to work.

condor22 said:
Pablo

I may have an alternative for you.

I have 2 BM PROs and although I can use the same app for both batteries on my phone, I wanted to be able to video what the one is doing in the van whilst driving and the 3 way fridge is on. I didn't want to leave my phone in the van so I looked around for a cheap Android Tab that had blue tooth.

So I bought this from Target for $89, put the app on and it works great.

http://www.target.com.au/p/pendo-pad-7-8gb-quad-core-tablet/56446982

Make sure you get the Quad core as it has Blue Tooth, the duel core doesn't.

It has WiFi as well and doesn't need a sim to work.

Thanks Condor, having a second and dedicated phone is an option, in fact I can probably find an old one with B/T lying around the place somewhere. I haven't heard anything from Setec yet and will post if that does happen.

Rob.

Sorry for the late reply, I'm out detecting.

You need Bluetooth and Android and from your previous experience, some luck, lol.

My Pendo works well, I can now manage the 4x4 Aux and the van battery, in that, I know exactly how much I use, the % left etc etc.

condor22 said:
Sorry for the late reply, I'm out detecting.

You need Bluetooth and Android and from your previous experience, some luck, lol.

My Pendo works well, I can now manage the 4x4 Aux and the van battery, in that, I know exactly how much I use, the % left etc etc.

It is starting to look like a viable option as I haven't heard back from Setec yet, despite asking regarding the status.

Will give them another week or so, as not in a hurry as no major trips planned for a couple of months.

Rob.

I just got back from 3 weeks in the GT.

Both BM PROs, my Galaxy S4 and the Pendo worked great.

I was on a caravan park the whole time this trip, but I monitored the 4x4 more often and the van on the trip there and back.

Never came close to running out of power.

My next trip will be bush camping, but not until I install the diesel heater, it's getting bloody cold in the GT, lol.

I purchased the Pendo and am using it to type this, but I get the same issues with it as I have with the Motorola RAZR, blue tooth finds the bm pro but will not pair. Says incorrect pin.
I have passed this to Setec but expect that I will have to pay them a visit again.

Rob.

I just found out that I can make the Windows 8 Notebook pair at the BlueTooth system level using a PIN of NULL. But you can't enter a pin of Null using the Pendo or the Motorola Razr.

Caught between a rock and a hard place.

Rob P.

Rob

I don't know what to say, I have the same system and it works. My only gripe with the Pendo is the time it takes to boot, but hey what do expect for the cheap price.

I did need to make sure Bluetooth was switched on first.
Then I fired up the BM PRO App
Typed in the Pin and pressed connect
Once it found the battery, I put in the battery details

Once it connects, even if the battery is full, it needs to learn that it is full.
I'm not sure how long it takes, but what I did was put the battery on charge and about 3 hours later, when I checked again, it showed the battery at 100%.

This will occur every time you disconnect the BM Pro at the negative or positive, but easy to cope with.

Other than that I've had no issue. Which is fortunate because I'm in S.A. But I'm sure the guys at the Home of 12 volt where I bought both BMs would help.

Don't worry about it at all Condor, I am sure that your advice has helped many in this area and with time I trust to get it resolved.

It may be possible that they have issued a couple with null pins and if they were able to reset those they may be fine. I will wait to hear from Setec and if they don't response by mid next week I will go and pay them another visit, as they are only 30 mins from where I live.

Rob.

Good news, I now have the BM Pro operating from the Pendo. Issue was that the BM Pro did not use one of the default PINs but a different one. This doesn't fix the issue with the Motorola Razr, but it gets me up and running, thanks to Condor and a bit of personal persistence.

Initial status looks like it is working fine.

1431846654_2015-05-17_16.57.06_small.jpg

Rob.

Rob

Look at your pic, I have the same when all is at rest.

The BM as with most monitors use a small amount of power to operate, so if your battery is totally open circuit, load is zero.

However, if in a switched off circuit like mine is, including a transformer, there maybe a small load of 0.1 AH, so keep the battery on float charge if you can all the time.

condor22 said:
Rob

Look at your pic, I have the same when all is at rest.

The BM as with most monitors use a small amount of power to operate, so if your battery is totally open circuit, load is zero.

However, if in a switched off circuit like mine is, including a transformer, there maybe a small load of 0.1 AH, so keep the battery on float charge if you can all the time.

Yep no van load and I have 240W of Solar on the roof that is doing a very good job of floating the battery when parked up. Much more than needed of course, but with the BM Pro in action I can now more effectively monitor the charge when the van is in use travelling, which is very often.

I will play with activating a few loads over the next couple of days to see what impact they have on the display, so I can get a bit of an idea of how the displays work when travelling.

Thanks again for your help,

Rob.

Rob

When driving along the only load on my van battery is the fridge (about 16 amps)

I have a Redarc 1220 next to the battery, supplied from an ignition controlled car source via an Anderson connector.

It can charge up to 20A, so covers the load ok.

When bush camping I checked all of the following in my van. Multiply each item by the hours or part thereof used, then add them all up to get an idea of what you use. Then compare with the BM PRO reading to see how close you were. Trust the BM reading.

ITEM AMPS

LEDs
Dinette Down lights 0.6
Dinette reading 0.15
Dinette reading 0.15
Foot well 0.2
Outside 0.5
Bed Reading 0.15
Bed Reading 0.15
Bed Down light 0.2
Bed Main Full 0.5
Bed Main Nite 0.1
Dinette Main Full 0.5
Dinette Main Nite 0.1
Ensuite Main Full 0.5
Ensuite Main Nite 0.1
Vanity Down lights 0.4
Kitchen Down light 0.2
Sink Strip LED 0.1
Range hood Light 0.1
Shower Light 0.5

FANS
Range hood 1.2
Shower Vent 1.3

OTHER
Pump 3.4
TV 1.8
Stereo 0.4

I have only spent 2 separate nights off power, then driven to a van park with this van so far. With winter coming on, I need to install the diesel heater before I go out for extended times. But 120AH AGM is more than enough for my needs and as yet I have no solar on the roof only a portable if I chose to use it. But you don't get much juice at this time of year in the Vic GT state forests, especially if there are trees around the camp. That's why I use the genny.

As I said before, it's process more than equipment. When I get in from detecting, I have a number of wants and needs.

Next post.......

Latest posts