Exmouth Fishing Trip

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Last month I got the chance to get away with a few mates and head to Exmouth for five days.
The master plan was to get there on the first day and just take in the sights, the next 3 days spend them fishing and the last day to travel back home. Mind you we were getting there on the tail end of a cyclone but hey, you need a bigger excuse than that to cancel a fishing trip.
So the trip begins at Sydney Airport then to Perth and then the final destination at Learmonth naval airport.
From there we jump in the car and head to the apartment only 15 minutes away
1429266878_osprey_vila_1328_x_747.jpg

Nice place and an awesome air conditioning unit. So we took to the streets wanting to see the town and find what there is to do. We did bump into some of the local birds and some really cute chicks
1429266939_emus.jpg

But this was the boys fishing trip so the focus was on fishing. After cruising the town [all of 30 minutes] we ended up at a Pub called the Thirsty Camel. Great pub, great food and even greater people. The staff were just the friendliest and even the owner spent some time with us having a laugh and stirring the pot. The place is decked out like an old American saloon with a couple of pool tables and country music playing all day. Needless to say we did spend a respectable amount of free time there.
Day 1 Fishing
CANCELLED !!!!! Four meter swell with nasty winds and not the place for a landlubber. Like I said we caught the tail end of the cyclone but hopefully tomorrow gets better. So..back to the Thirsty Camel.
Not wanting to completely miss out on a days fishing we decided to take on the local Jacks from the wharf down the road. So off to the tackle shop to buy some cheap rod combo and re-spool them with 30lb mono. Ive never fished for Mangrove Jacks before and boy did they surprise me. On the first hook-up I nearly snapped the el-cheapo rod and literally got smoked by a bruiser that had no intention of giving me an inch. It just buried me on its first run. A bit wiser on the second hit though and managed to turn this little one around quick smart [hit nowhere near as hard as the first]
1429267013_mangrove_jack_848_x_452.jpg

Day 2 Fishing
ITS ON !!!!! Only a 2 to 2.5 meter swell [still not feeling the love here] So were off to the Tantabiddi Boat Ramp to meet our captain. We booked with a company called OnStrike Charters, A 32 foot center console with twin 200s on the back. Very nice and very professional as far as a charter operation goes.
1429267064_onstrike_1328_x_747.jpg

After some quick intros and safety instructions we were off to the marlin grounds which by the way were only about 20minutes from the boat ramp. [Its weird to be fishing for pelagics so close to land.]
I gotta tell ya, trawling in a 2 to 3 meter swell aint fun in my books but I held out for a good 6 hours. We didnt manage to hook a marlin but did raise one to the teasers.
Being the well rounded adult that I am I calmly convinced the lads that we should call it a day after 6 hours on the high seas and not torture ourselves needlessly, for today anyway. I think the decision was unanimous after I promised them that I was going to throw-up in their backpacks, so we headed back to the ramp early. Back on solid ground.and back to the Thirsty Camel for a meeting.
After a good feed we were off to do the tourist thing. First stop the Vlaming Head Lighthouse
1429267113_ningaloolighthouse_1328_x_747.jpg

1429267136_ningaloo2_1328_x_747.jpg

1429267184_ningaloo31328_x_747.jpg

Some truly beautiful Australian scenery. In the background of the second photo you can see the huge communication/radio relay aerials the military has built there. The worlds largest Very Low Frequency [VLF] transmitter, and the 2nd tallest structure in the Southern hemisphere, Tower Zero is located in that area
And hows this for the local caravan park
1429267471_caravan_park1328_x_747.jpg

Just walk across the street and jump into the crystal blue waters of the Ningaloo Coast
By this stage of the day we noticed that the wind had died off considerably and tomorrow was looking like a screamer of a day
We managed a quick swim and snorkel at the Oyster Stacks [btw the Visitors centre hires out snorkelling gear for $10 a day] and then off to Yardie Creekfor a quick sticky beak at the place.
Its places like this that they make postcards out of. Its just breathtaking.
1429267947_yardi_1_1328_x_747.jpg

1429267962_yardi_21328_x_747.jpg
1429267975_yardi_31328_x_747.jpg
1429267994_yardi4_1328_x_747.jpg
1429268008_yardi_5_1328_x_747.jpg

I need to transfer some more pics off my phone tonight and continue with the story over the weekend.; Hope you guys are enjoying it so far..... :) :)

Now they're the sorts of trips memories are made from. Looks like a great time was had, and a WA fishing trip is a must on every anglers bucket list.

Cont........
Nearly forgot to mention the abundance of hitch-hikers on out walks out there
1429342410_flys7_772_x_514.jpg

Day 3
Our last day to get in amongst it all.
The sun is shining the wind has disappeared and the water is a flat as it can get. Thats three ticks in my boxes. Looks like the day weve been talking about. Time to get fishin
1429342474_boat_ramp_772_x_514.jpg

20 minutes out to sea and all we could see were birds working over schools of tuna in every direction. I did suggest a quick stop so we could spin up some tuna but I got out voted. Today was marlin day {who said a democratic vote was a good idea??}. The scene is set, the teasers are out and the baits are in the water. It wasnt long before the first bait got hit. The first of the boys grabs the rod and winds for dear life..HOOKUP !!. Right beside the boat
1429342541_first_marlin1_1328_x_747.jpg
1429342562_marlin_caught_772_x_514.jpg

I know its not my catch but I couldnt help getting a pic with it
1429342600_marlin3_600_x_337.jpg

After some manly chest pumping and handshakes it was back to business. We broke the hoodoo right? So now we have to get the next one. After about an hour of trawling the captain spotted something about 50meters off the boat.
1429342638_sharkfin_593_x_365.jpg

So what do you do when you see a huge fin sticking out of the water ? You wind in the gear and take a closer look..
What I originally thought was the dorsal fin of a big shark turned out to be an amazing surprise
1429342691_shark1_1328_x_747.jpg

1429342701_shark2_1328_x_747.jpg
1429342711_shark3_1328_x_747.jpg

A baby whale shark, just casually cruising up to the boat and having a look at us. People travel from around the world to come here and swim with these giants of the sea and we had junior right by the boat [still wondering if mummy was looking at us] After some more pics we were back on the high seas chasing another black marlin.
Its my turn on the fish and after a short spell..BINGO.were on again
1429342772_marlin_jump2_1544_x_1028.jpg

I had the fish boat side in 20 minutes. The captain called it for 120kg.The dekkie grabbed the leader [fish caught] then grabbed the beak to subdue the fish but this puppy didnt know how to play nice. It pulled from the dekkies hand and headed down deepvery deep.
1429342817_marlin_hurt3_772_x_514.jpg

After another gruelling 45minutes on 24kg stand up gear I just couldnt turn this fish around, my arms were burning and my knees were all over the place so I handed over to the next bloke.
Within a period of an hour and a half all four of us had tried to put the hurt on this fish but it just didnt happen. It eventually pulled the hook and took off.
A bit deflated about not getting it back up to the boat for some pics and a cuddle but still pumped at getting the opportunity to take on one of these magnificent fish. Marlin fishing is not something that I do but Im happy I did it. Just another tick on a very long bucket list.
I think the captain felt sorry for me so by the end of the day we pulled up to some tuna and spun up a few baby blue-fin.
1429342874_tuna_1019_x_678.jpg

1429342932_tuna2_1328_x_747.jpg

Just as a closing guys, Exmouth is another amazing, must do destination in this great country of ours.
Its got it all, Great weather, great people, great fishing and hunting and amazing scenery.
And yes I did ask the most important question of them allis there any gold around here ??????
Unfortunately no-one said yes. I was told that theres no gold or gems to be had around the area.[or were they keeping a secret from this blow-in ??]
Regardless of the gold I had an unbelievably incredible time with a few good mates chasing fish.
Cheers
ChrisM

Great photos and a fantastic story Chris. Glad you had a great time. :)