Fisher Gold Bug Pro information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys im using the gold bug pro with the 5 inch coil and so far have had no luck finding gold. I have been going on creeks and where I can see exposed bedrock also at old chinese diggings. Does anyone have any suggestions or advice. Also I would love to know how other users of the gold bug pro have done when searching for gold. Cheers in advance

Go slow, stick to ground that has limited ground balance variation (eg bedrock). Listen very hard for sharp zips. If you don't have gold to test with get a 0.1g test piece so you can learn what gold sounds like. Basically the ground balance of gold is less than normal goldfields ground and 'hotrocks' are higher. I visualise the sound when I detect to know whether I have something worth chasing up and I hear gold and other metals as like a fast rising 'church spire' shaped sound and hotrocks sound like a bell shaped rounded sound.

If you are getting any metals that are tiny you'll eventually get gold. I really need to get out there and spend more time on it - I get all these great ideas but then the hotrocks annoy me too much and I give up again!!

Thanks mate ill keep at it and eventually I will be lucky enough. I suppose its the same as panning it tool me months before I found a decent nugget. My biggest was 0.18g and then in one day from one good crevice I got a 2.14g and a couple just under 1g. Ive been picking up bullrt casings and some lead shot plenty of nails and scrap metals but no gold! I always take my test pieces out with me to re assure myself from time to time that it does pick up gold haha. Great machine its just very mineralised and hard area to detect around bullumwaal. Very dense bushland!

Hi Beany

My first detector was the gold bug pro still have it

I have found with it make sure you do some testing with old bits of metal I would discriminate out anything under 35 from memory I would get a reading of about 40 and over on gold dig everything over 40 low sound for junk high pitch for gold

Other thing that can be a bit touchy is your gain if your in hot rock country or noisy soil watch your signal on the left bottom corner this indicates your soil if its high you you may try to back your gain off a bit

Most important of all on the middle of the screen as your detecting that number and your ground balance number should be as close to the same as possible other wise your ground balance will be out and noisy.

Work in all metal mode with gain at 3 oclock as I said if noisy back it down if your in good soil go full main thing discriminate the rubbish out.

I have found some nice gold with mine but really struggled in noisy ground.

Good Luck
Margaret

Thanks heaps margaret thats pretty much the exact sort of information im after its very helpful. How did u discriminate the trash out. Ive pulled alot of trash with it and they read very similar if not the same numbers on the screen. The gold I have been using as a test piece is 2g so ill get out some of my small match head size pieces and use them to test with. Ive been having gain at about 12 oclock and tresh hold hovers around 10-15 depending on signals sometimes its higher. I always use all metal mode but it gets very frustrating considering bullumwaal where I detect it full of hot rocks. I mean u cant got 1.5 metres with out gettin hotrocks. I ground balance very regularly because of this reason. I am going to order a 10inch coil this week to give me some more depth seeing as though there is about 2 inches of soft top soil everywhere which cuts my depth back alot unless im racking there area. No gold with detector today but I did get half a gram through the pan

Does anyone know how to set the gold bug pro when in a really highly mineralised area. Ive had it in all metal mode and ground balanced at 77 today and the nubers rarely went over 83-84 and most of the area stayed aboved 70 wth 3 or more bars for mineralization. Constant hot rock signals (multiple times per square meter) I dont want to use disc mode as al the iron will cancel out the gold if its sitting in a pocket full of iron! Any help will be great cheers

Don't worry about numbers just listen to the sounds. If it is a tight rising zip it'll be metal, if it is that hollow sounding, sometimes a boing sound its rocks. In all metal mode pay attention to the zips that correspond to phase angles below 50 especially or just straight up any zip sound that doesn't follow the rest of the background noise patterns. It is hard to train your ears to listen past the noise of a VLF but if you are finding tiny bits of trash then you haven't had the coil over gold. Also when you are in all metal mode remember that the number in the middle isn't target ID but is the difference in phase between the transmit/receive signal.

I would also suggest swinging from different directions. Any solid target will repeat from different angles. Giving a quick scrape will also help define tones between a solid target sound and noisy ground. Some ground is just too hot no matter how much you put into it.

Thanks heaps guys much appreciated im thinking I may get out tomorrow as alot of the dense bush has just been burnt off making for much easier conditions!

Hi Beany

Do some test nails tin and so on get their readings Im sure they are all under 40 that's 40 on your arch not in in the middle of the screen.

Not sure if you have discriminated your rubbish out.

Gold gives me a clear reading over and sometimes way above 40 thats on the arch.

When you turn the bug on leave it in disc mode press you + button you will see the arch will wipe out numbers Ive only disc everything under 40 nails scews and stuff as I said gold on the arch starts around 40 Ive never got that down to less no matter how small the gold. Put it in all metal mode now.

When your detecting in all metal if you have disc out everything under 40 you will have a lot less worries hot rocks most don't go that high so you can ignore them some wont register at all.

Hot rocks will knock GB out pretty quick keep the GB and center numbers as close as possible.

I will take my bug out next week and do some testing in some bad ground plenty hot rocks, I will post the outcome.

Cheers Margaret

Thank you margaret that information is what I was after. Heading out very shortly and post how I go. Thanks again everyone

grubstake said:
Good luck in that burnt ground, beany - you may find that the resultant charcoal makes it tough going for a VLF.

Forgot to mention that I dug allot of burnt out tree stumps that had been years old, that is a bit of a bugger.

Although I still have the bug, and have fun with it, VLF has its place I ended up with a 4800

M

GB pro is a good machine it helps me find a bunch of spendable coins and had so much fun learning it. To my record it has found over $150 and silvers wear ear rings etc objects small as a pin. After a while the gain knob is my favourite feature to help identify target sizes and depth; when searching I tend to have the gain around 1-2oclock(60-75) and when I located a target, i could increase the gain and swipe over to see if the signal is 'stronger =(deeper) or small(object)' or lower it and swipe to hear the opposite; i still think there are lot more to learn about target ids as it tend to be different at greater depth, correct me if Im wrong; gold could even go below id30 and jump to id70 at 2 different swipes. Need more experience with the target identify as I only been using it for a year. I think This is a keeper for its value in money.

Hey guys, I am about to buy a fisher gold bug pro as my first detector.

It comes right into my price range ($800)

I just want to know if you think this will be a good buy for a gold detector.

I have watched a few videos and read some reviews saying it is quite good. Has anyone used it or had success?

Been reading this thread is everyone using the small white 5 inch coil or the standard dd black coil wats everyone's progress on finding the elusive yellow and witch mode do you find better results all metal mode or discrimination mode heading out the soon as it's warming up I have the new gold dp also and still chasing that golden rock lol :)

muzz said:
Been reading this thread is everyone using the small white 5 inch coil or the standard dd black coil wats everyone's progress on finding the elusive yellow and witch mode do you find better results all metal mode or discrimination mode heading out the soon as it's warming up I have the new gold dp also and still chasing that golden rock lol :)

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

I have a Gold Bug Pro. to Muzz I have the 5" round DD and the 10 inch elliptical DD coils, they came in the package.
The only difference between the Gold Bug Pro and the Gold Bug DP is the coils, the DP has the 11" open web coil.
The blokes below will be able to answer your question a lot better than I can and you will pick up some good tips as well.

I have just joined to answer your post and I can't post links yet.

Google:- Gold Bug Pro all metal mode.

Look near the top for detectorprospector it is ran by Steve Herschbach, he has tons of really good stuff on the Gold Bug Pro. and many other detectors. (He doesn't sell them he uses them)

Also Google Treasurenet, then in their search type in Gold Bug Pro on this page look for trinityau his name is Ray Mills.
Both these men are experts on the Gold Bug Pro. and both use the Gold Bug Pro. they both recommend the 10 inch elliptical coil and the 5" round for gold.

Try to track down all their posts on the Gold Bug Pro.
There is some really good information here, you will be an expert in no time.

Happy hunting, Jimbob.

Hi everyone

Any thoughts about the GB Pro as
A beginner detector ?
Im from sweden and planning a
trip to Australia and as I already
own one Im wondering If its
worth bringing along.

(Havent checked what customs
say about bringing one in to the
Country )

Or should I try to buy another used