National Park Boundarys

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lyro

Andrew Lyristakis
Reaction score
Hi guys
Have read here that you cant fossick in National parks. Ok but if the boundary is a river surely panning the other bank is legal. Any thoughts please? Have been keen to try one close by home but thought I would check with you as a first point maybe someone has had similar toughts previously.

Thanks Andrew

I'm thinking the same as you Lyro. I would think that if the boundary is the river the national park side would be a no go but the other side would be okay.
This is only my guess. If this is not correct that would mean the river is not the boundary, it would be a point after the river.

The map I am using is a Forestry map which also depicts Freehold leasehold crown and vacant land (Forestry Commission of NSW). I noticed that in various instances a river or creek is the boundary, even if the other side is forest or freehold. Given tis I will always take this map in the car when prospecting. One would think that as this is a Govt published map the boundary would not be disputed.

The Kosciusko National park has the Murray River as its boundary at Tom Groggin. We camp there regularly and have a campfire in the evenings.

We have been approached by Park Rangers on several occasions and told we can't cut firewood in the "Park", But we "can" cut as much firewood as we like on the other side of the river in "Victoria". (hence that's where we cut the wood) So i guess if that's the ruling for our largest NP it's probably the same for the rest. You can also fossick on the Vic side of the river.

Cheers Wal.

Thanx Wal. I intend to discuss this issue with State Forests when I go in next week for a permit. I will post a reply here when I get the info.

Cheers
Andrew

Latest posts