How I decided to keep my GPX 5000 or buy the GPZ 7000. For NOW!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zakman

Marcus
Reaction score
Here is an update from my Post located below under the topic "My Full GPZ 7000 review" https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=10771

As I mentioned I thought it would be good idea to really go back to BASICS and learn the GXP 5000 to build my confidence again and be assured that my detecting time wasnt wasted now that the new GPZ7000 was out there and like so many detectors friends If I truly believed that I was losing so much gold with the GPX ; I would have to sell it plus $600 in coils, a $100 Pro swing harness and a, $320 spare battery for around $4000, then spending $10,700 on the new GPZ 7000 plus some training.
It was through this forum that I discovered and was introduced to Phase Tech which is owned managed and run by the very well known technical guru Nenad EX Minelab technical adviser.

I contacted Nenad I asked for an infield-training day which would be specially customized for my requirements.

He arranged for us to meet at a good detecting spot up in MOUNT CRAWFORD (I had to be blind folded it was so secret a location. (Joking haha). This particulars spot ,was a really good location and quite unknown, which has mild but varied mineralized soil, excellent for my training day.

The training started off with a full review of the set up modes and timings which clearly highlighted that even though I had 2 yrs + detecting with the GPX and read the manual many times plus, watched every DVD video and u-tube out there. I wasnt setting up my detector to its optimum.

We setup .3 gramer a sample target at around 7- 8 inch where we reviewed coils :- starting with an 11 inch round Minelab, a 14 Inch DD Round Coiltech, a 16 inch round Nugget Finder and the old grandfather 15 X 12 Minelab elliptical .

It was really interesting, in fact so much so that if I hadnt seen it with my own eyes I would have said NO WAY. The result for the best pick up was the DD 14 inch Round with sensitive extra timing in MONO setting. (of course this setup was just a specific optimization for this particular location on this particular day).
We also tested the 8 inch Minelab and it was of course very good as well but as I wanted depth, that put the DD on top.

We then had a break with some general chat over a cup of tea regarding map reading and in addition some of Nenads personal secrets with regard where too detect and where not too waste time. All very good information.

After out break I wanted to go into Audio settings and review the technical side of setting the stabilizer. One real advantage, that Nenads training had over my previous training was, his technical explanation, which was incorporated with a practical side.

After lunch I ask Nenad if I could have a brief run through of the GPZ 7000 as he had it in the car, which we did.
During this general discussion some very obvious points came up regarding weight, and its wide range of sensitivity for fine gold at depth; practically when, detection over finer low density gold. (Something, which Ive never heard of, nor seen before). Nenad showed me an truly amazing, practical demonstration of this. (Quite impressive.)
For the rest of the afternoon I used the GPX with Nenad walking beside watching and confirming my sound target diagnosis, then after an hour, he picked up the GPZ and we compared target from each detector, this was a really great confidence builder for me with my new knowledge onboard and to have a practical way of let go of my previous doubts about the GPX 5000.

Yes the GPZ is an impressive unit but for me for now Im really happy that I did this Advanced Review training with Phase Tech for my Great GPX 5000; I certainly wont be trading it for the GPZ in the near future.

Im sure there are lots of GPX 5000 hunters out there who like me thought they where getting the best out of their detector and know after the big marketing campaign from Minelab / Codan regarding the GPZ 40 % deeper sales pitch are know questioning and are slightly apprehensive about their GPX 5000.

We all want to have the very best chance of not missing that piece of gold or to hear someone say you walked right over it (haha). But Ive found that its not just having the best piece of equipment to be the best of the best you need education, understanding and the right combination of equipment and that means coil and detector, so to find those really special spots and pieces of gold.
(Just a personal point Im looking for 1+ gramers and above, I am not interested in the sub gramers those I will leave for someone else to dig).

I know Nenad (Phase Tech) is getting busy does training all over Australia not just Adelaide. So be quick and book now.

This training and was fantastic and really enjoyable with the final big plus being I made a new friend.

As we all know with regards cost. Its not how much something costs it about how much its worth that's what really matters.

Good Hunting everyone.
Thanks Nenad .

The ZaKman

1427179482_nend.jpg

Nice write up.

Which 14" coil did you use? Was it the 14" Pro Elite (Beige in colour) or the Terracotta one?

Thank You

Hi Zacman,
Nice review of your training day, Nenad is easy to deal with (have bought a bit of his stuff) and seems quite willing to share some of his experiences via Video and forums.
Just need to get over here so we can find some decent Vic gold ...... unlike you I don't mind finding the small stuff, keeps me entertained.
Looks like you've recovered reasonably well, have a few eye issues to overcome but nothing to keep me from detecting (although seeing browns/tigers could be an issue).
Happy that you've developed those skills,
Cheers Tom

Yes Wolf it was a DD coiltek 14inch orange round just the normal one.

Tee yes be over this friday, recovery is slow but steady thanks.

I will be going out as soon as I arrive and staying for about 3 weeks this time, while resting i've been researching and i think i've found some new areas to try.

You can take the sub gramers and I'll take the bigger ones.

Im looking forward to use this new knowledge and retrace some of my old spots.

I have two location where there is so much metal trash its rediculus so I never really spent much time there mainly because I was alway of the understanding that with a DD coli on and Iron reject set around 7 the depth was really reduced but again as I learnt with my training if you adjust the setting properly (get out of Fine Gold timings) I found this was not the case.

So back im going .

The Zakman

I definitely think this is wonderful contribution mate, and even better you walked away with a better understanding. Pricing is irrelevant when it comes to one on one tuition with someone able to impart serious knowledge about a given subject, detecting or anything else, that is hard to find anywhere. A lot of people with specialized knowledge would not consider giving tuition no matter the fee. In the end anyone selling their time should get a return, it's win win when the student considers it value for money.

Some people have fantastic skill sets but are rubbish as teachers. I think anyone serious about detecting would have expert tuition on their to do list. Again great write up.

Zakman said:
staying for about 3 weeks this time

You can take the sub gramers and I'll take the bigger ones.

The Zakman

Should be able to squeeze in a day or 2 to get out and have a swing and chat.

Will PM you when I get some dates sorted.
Happy hunting, Tom

Thank guys for the feed back.
It means a lot to me.

I like to share good things with others and I'm sure their are a lot of our detecting friends
who have never really used their GPX to its full potential.

Tee call me anytime you can have some big ones as well haha.

Thanks GoldTarget for your points so true.

Nenad is a really genuine guy.

The ZakMan

Sounds like it was time well spent Zakman, great writeup. I love DD coils, I used my 5000 quite a lot on the beach and never used fine/gold. I was mainly using Normal if I didn't feel like digging to deep, sense extra hoping to hit Jewelery. If conditions allowed coin relic goes super deep, around 60cm at least for a 50c coin, with the 11 commander DD. Black sand layers on the beach were the worst enemy of that setting.

On the Goldfields a lot were only running in Fine/gold, will be the timing I used least from now on probably. Sdc covers the sub grammers, I want some bigger nugs too, going try to use the 5k more often on future trips. Dd coils have always impressed me with the depth and sensitivity they gey.

What a great post Zakman.
A lot of food for thought.......
I know an old timer who uses nothing but a dd on mono settings.
I think it might be time to try.
TY

Heatho and Brutus

One really big lesson that I clearly learnt with Nenad's training is to save time and get the results you need "Make time to test the location" ON that day! with your samples and coils.

As I mentioned in the above post the combo of 14 inch DD Coiltek in Mono switching was the the right combo for that "spot on that day".

After lunch we moved to a new (again top secret Nenad location, haha) and the 11 inch round Minelab Mono in General Normal timing mode and Quiet audio with the RX two clicks higher was the perfect setup.

Boy I'm sounding like a PRO haha.

Good Hunting

The ZakMan

That is a great post ZacMan and one of the most positive I've seen on this forum.
Although I don't own a ML detector I think the basic principles of finding the right instructor to help you get the most understanding out of your equipment (regardless of brand) is more beneficial than upgrading to "better" equipment thinking the detector alone is going to find you more gold.
Thanks for sharing and I'm sure this will inspire many to think more about the equipment they've currently got.
Lastly, kudos to Nenad, if I end up going down the ML path in the future I hope you're still available for tuition, I'll even drive to S.A.

Zakman said:
Heatho and Brutus

After lunch we moved to a new (again top secret Nenad location, haha) and the 11 inch round Minelab Mono in General Normal timing mode and Quiet audio with the RX two clicks higher was the perfect setup.

How good was the wash in that spot! Literally 3 inches below a silty top layer.

Zakman said:
Heatho and Brutus

One really big lesson that I clearly learnt with Nenad's training is to save time and get the results you need "Make time to test the location" ON that day! with your samples and coils.

As I mentioned in the above post the combo of 14 inch DD Coiltek in Mono switching was the the right combo for that "spot on that day".

Boy I'm sounding like a PRO haha.

Good Hunting

The ZakMan

I guess there are literally 100's of combinations possible Zakman, picking the best compromise on a particular patch on a particular day seems to be the most difficult aspect of using a 5k. :) I'll spend more time in the future testing before swinging the beast.

You've created a detecting monster Nenad, hope he leaves some for the rest of us........ :D

Morning guys.

Well Im over in victoria putting all this great new knowledge to use around the Taradale Bendigo this region is defiantly higher than in Mt Crawford / Adelaide in mineralisation so then pre detecting testing of coils and soil has been invaluable.

The DD switch in Mono setup does appear to allow the use of Sense Extra (but only just) with a quiet audio setting and a slight increase in RX gain.

But still the Fine Gold setting with a Mono 14 x 9 Nugget Finder is getting the better depth. SO FAR.

In the endeavour to push for max depth with my 14 inch round Nugget Finder.
Audio in Quiet
Motion Very Slow
Rx up and Stab up.

Switching. General and Special and Mono tracking in Fixed.
Special set to Fine Gold

As always this just the day's setup its changes every time.

I've run neck and neck with a GPZ 7000, yes on the low density gold and sub grammar the GPZ has impressed me very much but (as I mentioned, I'm personally not interested in Sub's only Gram and about Hahah) on the 1 + grammers and above my GPX is a match on depth without a doubt >>>> Unless its one of those very unusual low density Gold samples which Nenad showed me.

This is just my personal experience and opinion thats all.

Happy Hunting.

The ZakMan

I think there has been a pretty decent improvement with the GPZ's software updates since this was done originally.

It's been a good while since I've been back on the 5000, but it's something I will do again soon. I never really gave the Commander coils the time of day, as I mostly just ran the Sadie for a few years, swapping back and forward between a few different sizes of NF coils and the 14" Coiltek Elite. I may throw a Commander on and try it out next trip -if I can somehow pry the Zed off my arm. :lol:

Cheers,
Shauno.

Syndyne said:
I think there has been a pretty decent improvement with the GPZ's software updates since this was done originally.

It's been a good while since I've been back on the 5000, but it's something I will do again soon. I never really gave the Commander coils the time of day, as I mostly just ran the Sadie for a few years, swapping back and forward between a few different sizes of NF coils and the 14" Coiltek Elite. I may throw a Commander on and try it out next trip -if I can somehow pry the Zed off my arm. :lol:

Cheers,
Shauno.

I like the 15x12 Commander, great coil that one and very sensitive, still can't believe that tiny bit I got with it. Mine will get a good workout next trip.

Latest posts